What's the Best Gift You Have Gotten on Area So Far?

ok2bclever

I Re Member
tieguy said:

Actually, no you don't.

However, it is further proof of your lie on how I am hounding the poor innocent little tie.

Nowhere on this thread did I address you, but here you are as always flaming me.

tieguy

Banned
ok2bclever said:
Actually, no you don't.

However, it is further proof of your lie on how I am hounding the poor innocent little tie.

Nowhere on this thread did I address you, but here you are as always flaming me.

No Ok sadly it was further proof of your posting style here. Its a point that needs to be made and one you continue to do and then try to completely deny. Its clear you really have something personal against me. And that is a point that also needs to be made.

Note to all: This response was made flame free.

tieguy

Banned
susiedriver said:
tie,
Are you:
a) showing off your spelling skills?
b) adding to the discussion with facts?
c) making an ad hominem attack?
Correct answer is 'c'.
For extra credit, how many spelling errors were made in your post?

Note another attempt to flame presented by a poster who is supposedly no longer here.

ok2bclever

I Re Member
So this is just another thread you are going to ruin with your boring diatribe about how you are the innocent good guy and I am the bad guy.

Not going to go there with you.

We apologize for this interruption and now bring you back to the original contents of the thread.

What was the Best Gift You Have Gotten On Area So Far?

rushfan

I got plenty of candy, cookies, and other things. I ate so much sugar foods, I need to lay off the sugar for at least a few weeks.

The best gift I got was 2 pair of leather work gloves.

upsermom

The best gift my son got was he is now officially a full time driver. No more preload. He is so excited.

He was a security guard before working for UPS and could not stand sitting around so much. He is so proud of his UPS job.

BEST CHRISTMAS GIFT FOR HIM

little side note: At 6:00 tonight when he got back the supe asked him if he would run 2 more packages out to an area no one likes to go to.

He say "Oh come on now"
Supe says its dark maybe you will get a tip.
My son say "no way not out there" Yells over to the driver that has delivered the area for a few years and says might I get a tip.
Driver says never seen one out there yet.
Supe took the packages.

brett636

So I take it there are no rules against drivers taking tips? I know most other companies I have worked for strictly forbid employees taking anykind of tips. Not that tips weren't accepted anyways, it was just something that wasn't talked about when it happened.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Well Brett, I have never been told not to take tips. The cash and cards, you just stick in your pocket and not tell anybody in the office about. The other stuff, you have to get a pass from the OMS so you can get by the Guard Gate. Some of the gifts, you have to be a little creative with. If someone gave you an adult beverage, you need it wrapped or in a bag as you stroll past the Customer Counter on the way to the parking lot!

spidey

There is a significant difference between holiday gifts from customers and tips. As a UPS driver you should refuse any and all tips offered. This is policy and to do anything else will become an ethics issue.

Another thing that happend once, sort of related but not really, was a cut driver delivering a large peice of unassembled funriture to an older woman. She asked him to put it together and he stated he would come back after work and do so for $50. He went after work, put it together, took home his $50. When the woman began calling in a week later to complain that it wasn't put together correctly it was UPS she blamed and held accountable. We've also had a driver refuse to carry boxes to upstairs apartments unless tipped. He is no longer with the company.

Other than inside a Christmas card, I would highly suggest you not accept a dime from anyone on route, ever. Do your job as required, tip your hat and smile as you leave.

Being a driver for UPS is far superior to delivering for Pizza Hut.

tieguy

Banned
spidey said:
There is a significant difference between holiday gifts from customers and tips. As a UPS driver you should refuse any and all tips offered. This is policy and to do anything else will become an ethics issue.

Another thing that happend once, sort of related but not really, was a cut driver delivering a large peice of unassembled funriture to an older woman. She asked him to put it together and he stated he would come back after work and do so for $50. He went after work, put it together, took home his $50. When the woman began calling in a week later to complain that it wasn't put together correctly it was UPS she blamed and held accountable. We've also had a driver refuse to carry boxes to upstairs apartments unless tipped. He is no longer with the company.

Other than inside a Christmas card, I would highly suggest you not accept a dime from anyone on route, ever. Do your job as required, tip your hat and smile as you leave.

Being a driver for UPS is far superior to delivering for Pizza Hut.
A nice attitude to have and definitely some good points covered.

The example you give of the driver assembling the womens furniture is a great example of how excess helpfullness can sometime get you burned. You will sometimes find yourself in a situation where you go the extra mile for the customer and they then want to tip you in gratitude. Those types of tips I always politely declined.

Officially we frown on tips. We don't want our drivers openly working the customers for tips. And we probably don't want you going around expecting tips and then getting PO at the customer when you don't get one.

I do think we recognize that some customers will give gifts and tips during the holiday season and may even get offended if the driver refuses the gratuity. I personally don't see anything wrong with it at xmas time and yes I even gave mine a little cognac to sip on as he reflects on the past year.

I think its something you have to do a little soul searching on. If its a spontaneous act once a year then don't fret it. Tips and gifts are officially against our policy so if your boss says absolutely no gifts or tips then your hands are pretty much tied. I think most of us look the other way at christmas.

I would think a reasonably priced gift card to a popular store, gift certificate to a resturaunt , cash in a card,or even one of those alcohol gift boxes they sell ( assuming your driver drinks) would be appropriate.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Bah Humbug I sense on this thread. As Tie says yes they usually look the other way, but I think it is craziness that it should be against the policy. I even had a manger waiting every night to see what we all got, and until this thread I never realized it was a BAD thing. Just another happy part of UPS that I see disappearing. While we make great money and have the best job around, wheres the party? We all do sacrifice our Christmas Holiday, we have to get ready for it at least a month before. We usually cant go to Christmas eve parties as we are usually working, 5 out of 7 yrs I would guess. And we are all beat to death on the actual day. This is my 22nd, and until reading this thread, and others of what a bad job UPS did, I felt pretty good. Just like the new standards, we never "look" like we do a good job anymore. I guess you have to know in your heart as I do that you did everything you could do to make peoples Christmas wishes get there. I know I delivered everything I had. And now, dont you take a gift from a happy, satisfied customer, because if they are looking for a reason to fire you, there it is. Your customers wanted to show gratitude, and you accepted. BAD BAD UPS driver.

spidey

You missunderstand. I think gifts and such at Christmas are wonderful, and the company has no real issue with it either. We were discussing tipping, which is different. Absolutely different things. If a UPS driver is headed to a door with a pkg in hand and a tip anticipated or wanted, they are in the wrong business. Pizza Hut is always hiring. We are providing a service and we are paid a living wage for it. Your server at your favorite resturant is not. She is paid several dollars less per hour than minimum wage and is taxed on her anticipated tips based on her sales. There is a difference.

Consider;
I wish to send my grandmother a birthday gift. If it were customary to tip UPS drivers I would not send it that way, as I don't want her fishing for a buck out of her purse that she probably doesn't have anyway. Consignees are always either someones customer or someones loved one. We had a florist in town with a delivery boy who would stand with his hand out after every delivery. They lost almost ALL of their longstanding customers in less than 8 months before they figured it out. Very close to 100% of their return customers.

The company policy is that we do not accept tips. Period. And, frankly, taking them would be tacky. A "Thank you very much, Maam, but I'm just doing my job" will leave your customer with a much more positive feeling than accepting the tip anyway. Gifts at Christmas are different. A grandma giving you American flag cookies in July or a cold Pepsi in August are different. We are talking about people handing you money for delivering a package.

No bah, humbug about it. It's about karma.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
No bah, humbug about it. It's about karma.

I thought it was about policy?
I dont doubt your post, or necesarily disagree with most of it.
Expecting a tip is tacky. Receiving a tip, or gift at Christmas from someone you have served, who knows how much you make and know it isnt expected, and still wants to do something nice for you is not.

but Im still trying to figure out what Karma has to do with any of it.
Merry Christmas!! Happy New Year.!!

DS

Fenderbender
I have a few elderly folks in my area that tip as though its just being courteous.I think in the "olden days",drivers fell into the same category as cabbies,or even the local supermarket delivery boy.One gentleman would hold out his hand,palm down,and say,thank you driver,like I just helped him to his room with his luggage.I think he would`ve been insulted if I hadn`t graciously accepted his offer.For some, tipping the driver is something that originated way back in the 1930`s and it had nothing to do with Christmas.

spidey

toonertoo said:
but Im still trying to figure out what Karma has to do with any of it.
Merry Christmas!! Happy New Year.!!

Karma is all about intentions. You can take a box up the extra flight of stairs for the older couple, or you wait a little longer at the door of the woman who just had knee surgery (assuming you are having the kind of day that you can accomidate that sort of thing.)

If your intention is to do something kind for someone, it has everything to do with karma. If you do it hoping they will throw you a few bucks, it's still karma, only the bad kind... I don't know about anyone else, but I can always use a little more positive energy in my life.

B

Brown fan

I have a shop and see a lot of Brown. ;) I have the best driver, and this year gave him a silly homemade card (I fiddled around with graphics and made a card with a UPS truck put in a Christmas scene and little kids exclaiming about Santa. Next year I'm going to make him one with a FedEx truck stuck in the snow and him driving over it, ha ha. I gave him a silly card last year, too, it's my tradition.), a gift certificate to my shop, and a gift certificate to a coffee shop.

I think he liked it. He sure blushed, lol.

He really goes the extra mile. And I have a lot more appreciation for what he does (and what you all do) after reading this forum. :)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I do it as a matter of civility, whether or not my day accomodates it.
If they are old, and I know it, I wait.
If they need it set on the kitchen table where their oxygen tanks, or walkers wont catch it I do it.
It is called respect. Taught to me by good Old Mom and Dad.
Not about policy or Karma. Just the right thing to do.
And I dont want anything other than hoping my Mom or Dad when they were still here got the same treatment.
Doing a good thing to get a tip???????????I think that would be called soliciting, or something worse. But we finally agree. Happy New Year.