What's the worst delivery you've made?

barnyard

KTM rider
I had a pickup from an apt where the guy thought it was a good idea to ship all his clothes, dishes, etc... via UPS, instead of using a moving truck, to his new residence. Had to be about 10 hard cased suit cases, and 5 duffle bags with the label taped to the sides. I said to myself, ain't no way any of these will make it to his house. The tape that held the label to the pkgs was already coming loose.
That used to be really common. UPS kind of encouraged it. There were several colleges where UPS would set up a clerk with a trailer to process boxes for students that were moving back home. I had several snow birds on my route that would do the same, 5-8 outgoing huge boxes/suitcases in the Fall and the same coming back in the Spring.

barnyard

KTM rider
We used to pickup from a guy that printed and distributed promotional papers out of his home. Every Friday, on-call pick up for 20-50, 45 pound boxes of paper. Had to park out on the road and cart it all down to the PC, load up and go back for more. Never any help.

Mutineer

Any military base or gov't building. Especially in the first several years after 9-11.

Anywhere, anytime that has gov't employees.

Also, anywhere that has anything at all to do with wine grapes or horses.

I could write all day.

Scuderia

Swap meet in ghetto ass LA. Parking is a bitch as it’s super crowded and idiots don’t want to let you pass (like I’m trying to steal their parking spaces). You have to park far away, and it’s always at least 3 handcart trips. Crowded place, ppl don’t move, and every stop is a COD.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Was a rookie 15 years ago delivering NDA on a military base
Had no idea where I was going
Finally found the right area and started running for the door
Got yelled at by an MP to "FREEZE"
I have never and will never run will working again

slingshot90

I was in a rental about two weeks ago delivering misloads, and I show up to an address with a big front gate that required a code for it. I tried buzzing the speaker but no one answered, I realized the package was a 130lb exercise bike. The gate was only blocking the driveway, and I noticed I could just walk around it and head down the driveway. I couldn't see the house, but the driveway as far as I could see was all flat. So I busted out the handcart and laid it down on it, and pursued delivering it. I heard a circular saw going so I figured cool someones here, I rounded the bend of the driveway only to spot a rather gnarly looking siberian husky staring me down. I stopped in my tracks, stood there for a moment to see if I could see the owner, no luck. The dog didn't move a muscle, just stared at me. I took my hat off and gently sat the hand cart down. The dog then proceeded to lie down where it was in the middle of the driveway. I tried to give a loud, but quiet yell to get some attention. No luck. I then proceeded to remove the package from the cart to just lie it in the driveway, the dog stood up and began to approach me, and I noticed its eyes were :censored2:ing dark red around the iris. Looked like a damn blood thirsty wolf. When I stood up with the handcart I began to slowly walk backwards with it, and he started barking at me like crazy with this really deep bark/growl. I resisted the urge to turn and :censored2:ing gun it because there's not a chance in hell that would have went well. Fortunately, I slowly and confidently just disappeared around the bend from him and ran to the truck. I put the handtruck in the back of the truck, was organizing what I had remaining, and the owner comes driving out in a pickup truck. I proceeded to explain the situation and apologize for leaving the large package in the middle of the driveway and told him your dog looked like he wanted to kill me. He replied with "nah hes really friendly, he probably just wanted to say hi. next time just walk up to the house please." I just kind of stared at him and said "ok" and thought good thing this isn't my route. Some of the expectations from customers is a little too much, and also, I've noticed dogs do not like people approaching in brown uniforms holding a box.

DriverNerd

Some of the expectations from customers is a little too much, and also, I've noticed dogs do not like people approaching in brown uniforms holding a box.
Dog owners do not understand the phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds them". Yeah the dog isn't going to attack them, because they're the owner. You're the one trespassing on their domain. When dogs do get aggressive then you get "he's never done that before" BS. You definitely did the right thing by not continuing forward.

JJinVA

So far my *iest delivery isnt anywhere near as funny as some of the ones Ive read here. It was just *y. I had seven 150 irregs, furniture, going to one stop. Over 1000lbs just for one delivery, on a Saturday. Make the drive out there, and its on a main road that is also in a traffic light intersection, so Im trying like hell to back into the driveway, sitting out on the main ave with my flashers on, waiting for it to clear, and just as it clears from behind me, the traffic coming at me from the driver side starts moving. I sat there for a solid 8 minutes with my hazards on cause Ill be damned if Im gonna cart off 1000lbs first thing in the morning on that ratty :censored2: handcart. Plus the driveway had about a 6 degree incline. Na. Ill just sit here and wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

JJinVA

I was in a rental about two weeks ago delivering misloads, and I show up to an address with a big front gate that required a code for it. I tried buzzing the speaker but no one answered, I realized the package was a 130lb exercise bike. The gate was only blocking the driveway, and I noticed I could just walk around it and head down the driveway. I couldn't see the house, but the driveway as far as I could see was all flat. So I busted out the handcart and laid it down on it, and pursued delivering it. I heard a circular saw going so I figured cool someones here, I rounded the bend of the driveway only to spot a rather gnarly looking siberian husky staring me down. I stopped in my tracks, stood there for a moment to see if I could see the owner, no luck. The dog didn't move a muscle, just stared at me. I took my hat off and gently sat the hand cart down. The dog then proceeded to lie down where it was in the middle of the driveway. I tried to give a loud, but quiet yell to get some attention. No luck. I then proceeded to remove the package from the cart to just lie it in the driveway, the dog stood up and began to approach me, and I noticed its eyes were *ing dark red around the iris. Looked like a damn blood thirsty wolf. When I stood up with the handcart I began to slowly walk backwards with it, and he started barking at me like crazy with this really deep bark/growl. I resisted the urge to turn and *ing gun it because there's not a chance in hell that would have went well. Fortunately, I slowly and confidently just disappeared around the bend from him and ran to the truck. I put the handtruck in the back of the truck, was organizing what I had remaining, and the owner comes driving out in a pickup truck. I proceeded to explain the situation and apologize for leaving the large package in the middle of the driveway and told him your dog looked like he wanted to kill me. He replied with "nah hes really friendly, he probably just wanted to say hi. next time just walk up to the house please." I just kind of stared at him and said "ok" and thought good thing this isn't my route. Some of the expectations from customers is a little too much, and also, I've noticed dogs do not like people approaching in brown uniforms holding a box.
Dogs being the territorial creatures that they are, I think see us as agitators, like we're taunting them. "Haha bish Im on your property" as they look at us through the glass. Until one day, they get the chance to meet us face to face. And they think that their barking is what actually forced us to leave, not that we werent already going to.

I had a 120 black lab come galloping at me, showing teeth, growling with that "attack dog" growl. Wasnt even from the house I was delivering to, it was the neighbor two houses down. I just stood there facing the dog as it ran towards me, and when it got within 10 feet of me I shouted "NO!" and kinda spread my shoulders to try and counter-intimidate, and it worked, he ran around the side of the house. I made my delivery and the woman said, "Im sooooo sorry, hes never done that before", and I said, "Well, we're both lucky that it didnt end in an attack because that would have resulted in a lawsuit and/or me hurting your dog" (and by hurting I mean killing, because Ill be damned if Im going to the hospital today just because youre a *y dog owner). I planted that seed of the threat of lawsuit hoping she'd be more reponsible in the future because from the looks of her house one lawsuit would bury her in debt for life.

ouanling

Did the customer at least helped you load?

I recently did a residential pick up (apartment was 500 ft from truck) had about 20 80lbs (oversized) packages. The customers (yes, 3 people) appeared to be gymrats but only watched me load to the dolly then walk to truck and load it into the truck. Had to make 10 trips without any help from them. I wouldn't be so bitter if they'd at least offer me a bottle of water.
every apartment pickup ive had has been :

buzz
get buzzed in
buzz
buzz
wait 2mins
leave

they never come down

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
18E204AD-279C-4C32-A5EC-3C7AA86CBC3D.gif

Est.1998

I was in a rental about two weeks ago delivering misloads, and I show up to an address with a big front gate that required a code for it. I tried buzzing the speaker but no one answered, I realized the package was a 130lb exercise bike. The gate was only blocking the driveway, and I noticed I could just walk around it and head down the driveway. I couldn't see the house, but the driveway as far as I could see was all flat. So I busted out the handcart and laid it down on it, and pursued delivering it. I heard a circular saw going so I figured cool someones here, I rounded the bend of the driveway only to spot a rather gnarly looking siberian husky staring me down. I stopped in my tracks, stood there for a moment to see if I could see the owner, no luck. The dog didn't move a muscle, just stared at me. I took my hat off and gently sat the hand cart down. The dog then proceeded to lie down where it was in the middle of the driveway. I tried to give a loud, but quiet yell to get some attention. No luck. I then proceeded to remove the package from the cart to just lie it in the driveway, the dog stood up and began to approach me, and I noticed its eyes were *ing dark red around the iris. Looked like a damn blood thirsty wolf. When I stood up with the handcart I began to slowly walk backwards with it, and he started barking at me like crazy with this really deep bark/growl. I resisted the urge to turn and *ing gun it because there's not a chance in hell that would have went well. Fortunately, I slowly and confidently just disappeared around the bend from him and ran to the truck. I put the handtruck in the back of the truck, was organizing what I had remaining, and the owner comes driving out in a pickup truck. I proceeded to explain the situation and apologize for leaving the large package in the middle of the driveway and told him your dog looked like he wanted to kill me. He replied with "nah hes really friendly, he probably just wanted to say hi. next time just walk up to the house please." I just kind of stared at him and said "ok" and thought good thing this isn't my route. Some of the expectations from customers is a little too much, and also, I've noticed dogs do not like people approaching in brown uniforms holding a box.
Lol, you did entirely too much but i applaud your effort.
Had that been me delivering misloads from a rental, and it was 130lb bike, and there was no response at the gate that's blocking the driveway!!!
NI1, slap gate with infonotice, drive away.
Organize at the next stop.

Est.1998

So far my *iest delivery isnt anywhere near as funny as some of the ones Ive read here. It was just *y. I had seven 150 irregs, furniture, going to one stop. Over 1000lbs just for one delivery, on a Saturday. Make the drive out there, and its on a main road that is also in a traffic light intersection, so Im trying like hell to back into the driveway, sitting out on the main ave with my flashers on, waiting for it to clear, and just as it clears from behind me, the traffic coming at me from the driver side starts moving. I sat there for a solid 8 minutes with my hazards on cause Ill be damned if Im gonna cart off 1000lbs first thing in the morning on that ratty * handcart. Plus the driveway had about a 6 degree incline. Na. Ill just sit here and wait.
I think most of the general public expects UPS drivers to be aggressive.
The moment you show weakness, they'll act as if you're not even there.
After i realized this, i don't wait to back in anywhere.
As soon as i get close i throw on the flashers, began blowing the horn and angling the truck.
Traffic on both sides will stop, most will be mad, even blow the horn at you but how they feel doesn't concern me.

JJinVA

I think most of the general public expects UPS drivers to be aggressive.
The moment you show weakness, they'll act as if you're not even there.
After i realized this, i don't wait to back in anywhere.
As soon as i get close i throw on the flashers, began blowing the horn and angling the truck.
Traffic on both sides will stop, most will be mad, even blow the horn at you but how they feel doesn't concern me.
I had a lady yesterday at an apartment blaring her horn at me because I parked on the side opposite of where the cars were (so if they needed to get out I wasnt blocking them or in danger of getting backed into) and was infront of her garage unit. She didnt start honking until I got back to my truck and started it up. So I made a u-turn, drove back by her, and gave an obnoxious double-tap horn and a smile :P Ima d*ck what can i say. Its like, yeah lady this was all a conspiracy orchestrated by UPS to block your garage unit for 30 seconds. We planned our entire day around this moment.