What's the worst delivery you've made?

Est.1998

I had a lady yesterday at an apartment blaring her horn at me because I parked on the side opposite of where the cars were (so if they needed to get out I wasnt blocking them or in danger of getting backed into) and was infront of her garage unit. She didnt start honking until I got back to my truck and started it up. So I made a u-turn, drove back by her, and gave an obnoxious double-tap horn and a smile :P Ima d*ck what can i say. Its like, yeah lady this was all a conspiracy orchestrated by UPS to block your garage unit for 30 seconds. We planned our entire day around this moment.
I feel like we're in a game and the general public are NPCs.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Y’all must be bad drivers. People all the time are telling me what a wonderful driver I am. They are always sticking their arms out the window and giving me the “you’re number 1” sign. Nice people.

quad decade guy

I had a lady yesterday at an apartment blaring her horn at me because I parked on the side opposite of where the cars were (so if they needed to get out I wasnt blocking them or in danger of getting backed into) and was infront of her garage unit. She didnt start honking until I got back to my truck and started it up. So I made a u-turn, drove back by her, and gave an obnoxious double-tap horn and a smile :P Ima d*ck what can i say. Its like, yeah lady this was all a conspiracy orchestrated by UPS to block your garage unit for 30 seconds. We planned our entire day around this moment.
That's what people remember. Could actually cost us business. Example: 1 day after the 1997 strike, I lost customers for life-good customers.

Just a few days ago, I was remotely filling up my CNG tractor...because the genius that designed it, didn't give it enough range to do my run(diesels made it easily). This milk hauler was filling his tractor at a 3 pump facility. I got out and started filling mine....he runs over and starts yelling(yes yelling) at me that mine kicked his off. I said ok? I didn't know. How could I? 3 pumps, only 1 works at a time? The point is people remember and are punitive. Some people you cannot please.

They remember when you are a d!ck. I always tried to help(a customer) when I could. It was cheap insurance that they would give you a pass when you screwed up(plenty for me).

JJinVA

That's what people remember. Could actually cost us business. Example: 1 day after the 1997 strike, I lost customers for life-good customers.

Just a few days ago, I was remotely filling up my CNG tractor...because the genius that designed it, didn't give it enough range to do my run(diesels made it easily). This milk hauler was filling his tractor at a 3 pump facility. I got out and started filling mine....he runs over and starts yelling(yes yelling) at me that mine kicked his off. I said ok? I didn't know. How could I? 3 pumps, only 1 works at a time? The point is people remember and are punitive. Some people you cannot please.

They remember when you are a d!ck. I always tried to help(a customer) when I could. It was cheap insurance that they would give you a pass when you screwed up(plenty for me).
I dunno, i think I'm ok with losing * customers. Means I won't have to deal with them again. If they want to be that petty are they ever going to really be appreciative? I'm not out to be a punching bag for the public to vent on. I signed up to be a delivery man not a whipping-boy.

Last edited by a moderator:

quad decade guy

I dunno, i think I'm ok with losing * customers. Means I won't have to deal with them again. If they want to be that petty are they ever going to really be appreciative? I'm not out to be a punching bag for the public to vent on. I signed up to be a delivery man not a whipping-boy.
Ok. I agree. But that's not how life/business goes. We used to have just about ALL customers. look around ain't that way anymore. Without customers(even crappy ones) we don't exist. Think about it.

JJinVA

Ok. I agree. But that's not how life/business goes. We used to have just about ALL customers. look around ain't that way anymore. Without customers(even crappy ones) we don't exist. Think about it.
I use FedEx when I have things shipped to me because theyre cheaper than UPS. Thats the real nature of competition. People roll the dice and hope their stuff gets there in one piece for the best price. Besides, this lady was in an apartment. I dont think shes really doing 10s of 1000's in volume purchases. Businesses are what I dont think we want to lose but even there we are losing. We lost either GameStop or Foot Locker (or both cant recall). And Im pretty sure we lost them to FedEx. The drivers at our center said "good riddance".

Yes, its true that without customers, we dont have a business or a job. No, its not true that one * customer is the difference between whether I go to work to a job tomorrow or not considering Ill be delivering to 40+ of her neighbors tomorrow.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I was in a rental about two weeks ago delivering misloads, and I show up to an address with a big front gate that required a code for it. I tried buzzing the speaker but no one answered, I realized the package was a 130lb exercise bike. The gate was only blocking the driveway, and I noticed I could just walk around it and head down the driveway. I couldn't see the house, but the driveway as far as I could see was all flat. So I busted out the handcart and laid it down on it, and pursued delivering it. I heard a circular saw going so I figured cool someones here, I rounded the bend of the driveway only to spot a rather gnarly looking siberian husky staring me down. I stopped in my tracks, stood there for a moment to see if I could see the owner, no luck. The dog didn't move a muscle, just stared at me. I took my hat off and gently sat the hand cart down. The dog then proceeded to lie down where it was in the middle of the driveway. I tried to give a loud, but quiet yell to get some attention. No luck. I then proceeded to remove the package from the cart to just lie it in the driveway, the dog stood up and began to approach me, and I noticed its eyes were *ing dark red around the iris. Looked like a damn blood thirsty wolf. When I stood up with the handcart I began to slowly walk backwards with it, and he started barking at me like crazy with this really deep bark/growl. I resisted the urge to turn and *ing gun it because there's not a chance in hell that would have went well. Fortunately, I slowly and confidently just disappeared around the bend from him and ran to the truck. I put the handtruck in the back of the truck, was organizing what I had remaining, and the owner comes driving out in a pickup truck. I proceeded to explain the situation and apologize for leaving the large package in the middle of the driveway and told him your dog looked like he wanted to kill me. He replied with "nah hes really friendly, he probably just wanted to say hi. next time just walk up to the house please." I just kind of stared at him and said "ok" and thought good thing this isn't my route. Some of the expectations from customers is a little too much, and also, I've noticed dogs do not like people approaching in brown uniforms holding a box.
Classic case of delivery entitlement.
At my center that’s ni1 gate dog in the remarks.
Don’t friend with closed gates bro, not your job. If the gate code is in there I’ll gladly open it up and make a secure delivery. If there’s a mean dog on the property and no homeowner you bag and drop in driveway.
If no gate code and it’s a big pkg, pull over honk and wait for 10-20 seconds...ni1 gate
If it’s a smaller less valuable pkg it’s dr bag gate, tuck it behind a post or something, move on

Dr.Brownz

Classic case of delivery entitlement.
At my center that’s ni1 gate dog in the remarks.
Don’t friend with closed gates bro, not your job. If the gate code is in there I’ll gladly open it up and make a secure delivery. If there’s a mean dog on the property and no homeowner you bag and drop in driveway.
If no gate code and it’s a big pkg, pull over honk and wait for 10-20 seconds...ni1 gate
If it’s a smaller less valuable pkg it’s dr bag gate, tuck it behind a post or something, move on
tenor.gif

SandSpida

Long ago as a young, buff, handsome package car driver....
I had a delivery for the town skank, signature required. She comes to the door in only a dirty tshirt.
Proceeds to sit down on the step to sign, knees now up to her shoulders.
I saw far more than I needed to see that day...
Hope you weren’t down wind.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member

every saturday they put me in a small college town. super narrow roads, all dead ends. very very few places to turn around. the last two saturdays i've been in a pc with no cradle, so no mapnav to tell me how far down the street i'm going or if i even need to bother driving and just walk it off.

i don't take it personally when someone honks at me. they chose to lived there and order products to be delivered, not me.

every saturday they put me in a small college town. super narrow roads, all dead ends. very very few places to turn around. the last two saturdays i've been in a pc with no cradle, so no mapnav to tell me how far down the street i'm going or if i even need to bother driving and just walk it off.

i don't take it personally when someone honks at me. they chose to lived there and order products to be delivered, not me.
I would assuming the people that lived there would have better understanding. Especially as our trucks aren't as mobile in narrow roads.

onewithedd

Not so much the worst delivery but, finding an elderly lady deceased was it. Her door was usually open and I’d take the package to her. I looked in and she was not in her chair and then seen her legs through the kitchen entry. I went to the side door and when I opened it the odor that came out, well, I knew she was gone. I called the police and waited for them to show up.

I pulled around the corner and sat for 10 minutes to gather my thoughts. So sad.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Use to deliver to a funeral home. They had a service entrance which was the shop. Very often stiffs were on the gurneys covered with a sheet.

Not so much the worst delivery but, finding an elderly lady deceased was it. Her door was usually open and I’d take the package to her. I looked in and she was not in her chair and then seen her legs through the kitchen entry. I went to the side door and when I opened it the odor that came out, well, I knew she was gone. I called the police and waited for them to show up.

I pulled around the corner and sat for 10 minutes to gather my thoughts. So sad.
That's very sad thing to hear.