when can feeder runs be subcontracted?

seems like whenever they like. but i belive its only during the free period as they call it for contractors, free period is nov thru jan i belive, as far as rail im thinking they do this all the time, im sure someone with more info than i will answer your question tho.

trickpony1

I have seen loads brought in by "shiny wheels" during non peak periods. When dispatch is asked why the response is, "they (origin hub) are out of drivers.".

Then why doesn't management at the origin hub have a feeder school or arrange a meet or send one of our drivers to the origin hub?

Not rocket science.

Pushing On

Concerning rail, an existing run is not supposed to be eliminated by sending it by train. New volume is allowed to go by rail if the train can meet service commitments. Like stated early contractors are used during the peak season and when a hub/center runs out of drivers. Volume fluctuations and driver vacation/sick days make it almost impossible to always have enough extra drivers around. On days with low volume and or perfect attendance of bid run drivers these on call or extra drivers would starve. Most runs have to make a specific sort and may not allow for the time of a destination driver going to get.

over9five

Staff member
I see shiny wheels in the yard every day. Some of this may be "zone skip", when a customer pays less by getting their packages to a destination hub however they want.

Just look in the "Cornfield". There's probably 50 unloaded gypsy trailers there right now...

tieguy

Banned
I have seen loads brought in by "shiny wheels" during non peak periods. When dispatch is asked why the response is, "they (origin hub) are out of drivers.".

Then why doesn't management at the origin hub have a feeder school or arrange a meet or send one of our drivers to the origin hub?

Not rocket science.

wow is there actually someone out of drivers under todays economic times?

bluehdmc

Just look in the "Cornfield". There's probably 50 unloaded gypsy trailers there right now...

Where is the "cornfield"?

I love some of the names for trailer parking spots in UPS yards.
The meadowlands has "square D", the "dirt wall", the "back fence", (although there is no dirt wall or fence") and various levels of the parking deck.
Saddle Brook has "rotten row"
Stratford has "the grove"
I wonder what some of the origins of these are.

As to the original topic, I was shifting at the Meadowlands the other day and put 2 Swift trailers on a door for the day sort. They were both full of Gevallia coffee. I guess they were zone skippers.

P

pickup

Where is the "cornfield"?

I love some of the names for trailer parking spots in UPS yards.
The meadowlands has "square D", the "dirt wall", the "back fence", (although there is no dirt wall or fence") and various levels of the parking deck.
Saddle Brook has "rotten row"
Stratford has "the grove"
I wonder what some of the origins of these are.

As to the original topic, I was shifting at the Meadowlands the other day and put 2 Swift trailers on a door for the day sort. They were both full of Gevallia coffee. I guess they were zone skippers.

what makes the meadowlands more confusing (tell me if I am right or wrong bluehdmc) is that the dirtwall actually has a fence and the back fence has no fence but a Dirt hill (sloping down) behind it . Someone told me that square d is called so because it looks like a d (maybe in the martian alphabet). Another told me it because "square D electric company was once there." I don't know what to believe. and what's the deal with the 160 doors, they put 53 footers in there and for some reason the 160 door seems to be the hardest one to back in and out of (even with a shifter) . As you know that can turn out to be the bottleneck area of the entire layout.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Not rocket science.
I will bet money that they are lieing to you! I would do my best to get to the truth, as in contacting the other local.

bill102

Drop shippers that bring in QVC, VS, HSN, and all those other big accounts are no different than a customer bringing a bunch of packages in their pick up truck. Its just 53' long. They drop their loads in the yard and pick up an empty. It save sthe customers tons of money and allows UPS to plan their flows properly.

wrecker

what makes the meadowlands more confusing (tell me if I am right or wrong bluehdmc) is that the dirtwall actually has a fence and the back fence has no fence but a Dirt hill (sloping down) behind it . Someone told me that square d is called so because it looks like a d (maybe in the martian alphabet). Another told me it because "square D electric company was once there." I don't know what to believe. and what's the deal with the 160 doors, they put 53 footers in there and for some reason the 160 door seems to be the hardest one to back in and out of (even with a shifter) . As you know that can turn out to be the bottleneck area of the entire layout.

If they don't give me a door at meadowlands, I just drop it wherever. Usually on the top deck, which never has any open spots, because everyone drops trailers that don't belong there. I've asked for directions at the phones, but they're not too helpful. Love it when the trailer I need to outbound is blocked in by 2 or 3 other sets. I would hate to be a shifter there, dealing with idiots like me. :)

Drop shippers that bring in QVC, VS, HSN, and all those other big accounts are no different than a customer bringing a bunch of packages in their pick up truck. Its just 53' long. They drop their loads in the yard and pick up an empty. It save sthe customers tons of money and allows UPS to plan their flows properly.

From what part of the country are you a management type person?? Many of these drop shipments used to be done by us feeder drivers here. It is a shame that the International has agreed to this scab work.

I only say this because some of the 'drop shippers' now bring in stuff that our cover people used to do. As bill (management type person) could tell you, this is where the feeder department is going to be in the future.........

bluehdmc

If they don't give me a door at meadowlands, I just drop it wherever. Usually on the top deck, which never has any open spots, because everyone drops trailers that don't belong there. I've asked for directions at the phones, but they're not too helpful. Love it when the trailer I need to outbound is blocked in by 2 or 3 other sets. I would hate to be a shifter there, dealing with idiots like me. :)

So your the guy who screwed everything up last nite:funny:. The meadowlands can be a real zoo. I've been there the last couole weeks, this week shifting for 5 hrs with a tractor. It's really not too bad there right now. Although between doors 160 and about 190 were gridlocked for a while. I was waiting in line to take one off a door, got there and it was gone. Wait till it get busy, they tell you your load is on square D and if it isn't it could be anywhere. Some people refer to the meadowlands as "The black hole", once you fall in you never get out. LOL. When it's busy just a simple drop off a load an take one out can take 2 hrs. That's if there's no back up at the gate.

wrecker

So your the guy who screwed everything up last nite:funny:. The meadowlands can be a real zoo. I've been there the last couole weeks, this week shifting for 5 hrs with a tractor. It's really not too bad there right now. Although between doors 160 and about 190 were gridlocked for a while. I was waiting in line to take one off a door, got there and it was gone. Wait till it get busy, they tell you your load is on square D and if it isn't it could be anywhere. Some people refer to the meadowlands as "The black hole", once you fall in you never get out. LOL. When it's busy just a simple drop off a load an take one out can take 2 hrs. That's if there's no back up at the gate.

I'm working inside right now, so I was not involved in last night's debacle.

Not enough equipment for all the shifter drivers? Only an issue around here during peak.

Jeez, this has nothing to do with the original topic, does it? :)

I only see qvc trailers coming in this time of year. During peak I spent most of my time shuttling work across the street to the gypsy yard.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Ah, the Meadowlands...

Can you do a tractor move for me? Hook and hold on 35. Ok it's ready, drop it on the top deck.

Gotta love the zoo :happy2:.

bill102

From what part of the country are you a management type person?? Many of these drop shipments used to be done by us feeder drivers here. It is a shame that the International has agreed to this scab work.

I only say this because some of the 'drop shippers' now bring in stuff that our cover people used to do. As bill (management type person) could tell you, this is where the feeder department is going to be in the future.........

Been in Feeder Management for five years in and this is a service that SCS provides for the customer. It saves customers money to contract the loads to another destination Hub rather than paying for the ground rate to a far destination. It is not UPS feeders cutting jobs rather customers utilizing a service that UPS provides. This helps us alot too when planning routes and managing overflows/unplanned flow.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Been in Feeder Management for five years in and this is a service that SCS provides for the customer. It saves customers money to contract the loads to another destination Hub rather than paying for the ground rate to a far destination. It is not UPS feeders cutting jobs rather customers utilizing a service that UPS provides. This helps us alot too when planning routes and managing overflows/unplanned flow.
And laying people off!

tieguy

Banned

zone skip predates SCS. Rumored to have been started by some ex-upsers who came up with the idea.