When did u stop being cheap?

Roller252

Hi all.
Here's the deal. I'm a full scale RPCD (11yrs) and still won't spend a dime. Debt free beyond my mortgage and my child support ends this fall. My two vehicles are 16 and 33 yrs old. (run just fine) 401K and IRA both well funded.

Wife and I went mattress shopping this weekend and WTF. National chain store (strip mall) wanted like $4k for a Hybrid and frame. I get the whole investment in health and sleep blah, blah, blah but it's a bed none the less. Any how my point and question is we all make good money some more than others (depends where u live etc) but you never know.

I'm on the 9.5 list (like it matters) and will clear 6 figures like a lot of us but still can't get get used to it. When did u decide it's time to enjoy what u work hard for.?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I've always gone cheap on things that don't mean sh* to me, moderate on things I'm not particular on but need them to last, and all-out on things I take a very special interest in.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've always been cheap with most things. (except I like a nice house-new vehicles and Harleys). Our last mattress we bought about 8 years ago listed for around $1700. A friend who owned a percentage of our local Quality Inn and Suites got me the same identical mattress for $700. Hotels and Motels get STEEP discounts on that kind of stuff. Its nice to have connections.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
The pillow I lay my head on at night is twenty three years old. Sounds weird, but it's comfortable and I like it. Hard to sleep on anything else.

quad decade guy

Hi all.
Here's the deal. I'm a full scale RPCD (11yrs) and still won't spend a dime. Debt free beyond my mortgage and my child support ends this fall. My two vehicles are 16 and 33 yrs old. (run just fine) 401K and IRA both well funded.

Wife and I went mattress shopping this weekend and WTF. National chain store (strip mall) wanted like $4k for a Hybrid and frame. I get the whole investment in health and sleep blah, blah, blah but it's a bed none the less. Any how my point and question is we all make good money some more than others (depends where u live etc) but you never know.

I'm on the 9.5 list (like it matters) and will clear 6 figures like a lot of us but still can't get get used to it. When did u decide it's time to enjoy what u work hard for.?
Didn't say how old you are....that matters...in my way of thinking.

One thing I have realized(a long time ago) (I'm 58)....is you never get time back and you cannot buy time at ANY PRICE.

Now, a caveat......I'm hated and belittled for enjoying the fruits of my labor. I wouldn't be some of these guys for anything.....probably kill myself.....

That said, I also don't want to be that guy as they are putting me in the ground....."Yep.....old Quad Decade Guy......went his whole life and was frugal to the end and slept on a 8 year old mattress and a 23 year old pillow..."

You get one shot at this life......how much do you want to give up?

nWo

We have a building full of dudes with $75,000 pickup trucks that never haul anything outside of an occasional cornhole board. Cul de sac Cowboys.

3 years into their 7 year loan? Trade it in for a newer truck an build up more debt. But man the chicks in the parking lot are super impressed.