When do they stop making you help other drivers?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Theoretically it evens out

He does x many less miles you do x many more

Center solution stays the sAme
It evens out on miles, but not trace %.
In our center we are no longer allowed to help. Now it's "jump on with so and so abd knock out 40 stops". When I get that message I go meet driver, and basically keep them company for an hour and a half of OT
Sounds like another way to get around missing ORION miles and trace.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Guess it depends on the local understanding of it. I've seen guys plead for help from other guys who have turned them down because they couldn't break off.
Sups make those decisions to break off around here, I can count on one hand drivers that offer to help others for various reasons, mine is strictly monetary.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I've never turned down the chance to help someone. I like making money too much, and I enjoy learning new areas.

BTW, I'm not a runner.

Edit: Just realized that wasn't entirely true. I have and will turn it down if I've already spoken to my wife about dinner plans.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
Years ago, we would balance out the dispatch on area after lunch;
now it's every man for himself.

Years ago drivers would work together and voluntarily help each other out. Now with the long hours and crappy dispatches it has become everyone for himself.

nystripe96

I don't mind helping as long as I'm punched out by 7:30, especially if it's a driver I'm friendly with. Any later than that the answer is no. A few extra $$ outweighs the nuisance factor of being asked to help

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If I get a phone call from a neighboring driver asking for help I have no problem helping them if I'm able to. A couple times a month they load up a guy next to me with too much business, but I'm usually not able to help with business and get mine off before pickups.

UPSGUY72

In our center we are no longer allowed to help. Now it's "jump on with so and so abd knock out 40 stops". When I get that message I go meet driver, and basically keep them company for an hour and a half of OT

LOL Not saving them any money actually probably costing them more. All because the dispatch person can't do there job correctly.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Seriously? Pay two drivers OT in one truck to save MILEAGE? This company is going to hell in a handbasket. $100 an hour, or 1/3 of that to give a proper dispatch...disgusting.

OPTION3

Years ago drivers would work together and voluntarily help each other out. Now with the long hours and crappy dispatches it has become everyone for himself.
We've had drivers issued termination letters for dishonesty for "self dispatching" (doing exactly like you did).....no more

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Seriously? Pay two drivers OT in one truck to save MILEAGE? This company is going to hell in a handbasket. $100 an hour, or 1/3 of that to give a proper dispatch...disgusting.

They do not care about money.

They only care about that number on a piece of paper.

They do not care how much extra money it costs to meet that number.

Pretty sad, actually.

Re-Raise

I have never asked for help from another driver.

If they put it on my truck, I am going to deliver it. If they violate the 9.5 language I will file a grievance.

Just started here 29 yrs ago.