Where is the Driver buyout?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Wouldn't it make sense to offer high seniority drivers some sort of inventive to retire. Many drivers are hanging around with over 30 years in and it wouldn't take much to move them out. The replacement driver makes half the pay for 3 years. We have 4 guys that would be gone tomorrow for a few grand in a lump sum. A new driver makes about 35 to 40K less a year so offer someone 20K to hit the road.

I hope they don't I love all my old guys and girls they might be slower but they have good service. Character also goes along way customers love them.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Wouldn't it make sense to offer high seniority drivers some sort of inventive to retire. Many drivers are hanging around with over 30 years in and it wouldn't take much to move them out. The replacement driver makes half the pay for 3 years. We have 4 guys that would be gone tomorrow for a few grand in a lump sum. A new driver makes about 35 to 40K less a year so offer someone 20K to hit the road.

That would take a cooperative, shared effort by UPS and the Teamsters.
In other words, "Don't hold your breath."

Another "assumption" I have noticed is that people are responding to this as if this is something the company is giving to the affected people. The affected people are being pushed out and UPS is not giving anything to the individuals.
It is all about getting rid of non-value added, redundant positions. The individual is irrelevant except UPS has identified the people they want for each position and try and keep them and terminate the less-desirable people.
UPS is simply doing what other companies have been doing for years.

One undesired impact is that this is one more nail in the coffin of the "Partnership". Even the one's left know now they are expendable and UPS will cast them aside if needed. Just like any other corporation or business.
There is no longer the UPS culture of the past – just a typical Corporate non-culture.

brownrod

The only drivers that would take it are the ones that already planned on retiring in the next year or so...

I wouldn't give up an 80,000$ a year job for an insignificant, measly little payout.

Cezanne

Most of the union and company retirement packages that we were negotiated in are not structured for any early buy-out, in fact they are designed to keep you working till the standard age of 65. Just not enough participants in the plans to pay for any additional retirees. Sad part about this is that most of us will never be able to physically last and depart with a substandard pension. :whiteflag:

brownrod

Most of the union and company retirement packages that we were negotiated in are not structured for any early buy-out, in fact they are designed to keep you working till the standard age of 65. Just not enough participants in the plans to pay for any additional retirees. Sad part about this is that most of us will never be able to physically last and depart with a substandard pension. :whiteflag:

65? I would never. I guess the western region already has the PEER80 as our early retirement. Age + years of service equals 80. Start driving at 21 you are out at 51.

lastoasis

20K isn't near enough......most would have to pay for health insurance till they turned 62.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
65? I would never. I guess the western region already has the PEER80 as our early retirement. Age + years of service equals 80. Start driving at 21 you are out at 51.

Start working in the hub at the age of 20...go driving 2 months after you turn 21...and you are out at 50 :happy-very:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What is the monthly pension payment for that?

Assuming that all the years were as a FT driver, post-1987 (when pension contributions took a huge increase) and you are looking at something like $5k depending upon whether you opt for spousal survivor benefits

filthpig

I can't see why anyone who is still able to perform the work would retire in this economy unless their spouse made a really good salary with benefits. I wouldn't even ponder it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can't see why anyone who is still able to perform the work would retire in this economy unless their spouse made a really good salary with benefits. I wouldn't even ponder it.

This decision would depend upon a lot of factors, of course, but chief among them would be your financial position. I am working very hard to be in a financial position where I can retire with 25 yrs rather than 30, albeit at a reduced pension, but I would still be eligible for medical benefits. If this does not work out I only have 10 yrs left for full pension.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A soon as I can afford to retire I will. The current state of the economy won't be a driving factor. In some ways it will better if the economy is down, since I will be looking for a new home and they will be cheaper during a downturn.

Last edited:

UPS Lifer

That would take a cooperative, shared effort by UPS and the Teamsters.
In other words, "Don't hold your breath."

Another "assumption" I have noticed is that people are responding to this as if this is something the company is giving to the affected people. The affected people are being pushed out and UPS is not giving anything to the individuals.
It is all about getting rid of non-value added, redundant positions. The individual is irrelevant except UPS has identified the people they want for each position and try and keep them and terminate the less-desirable people.
UPS is simply doing what other companies have been doing for years.

One undesired impact is that this is one more nail in the coffin of the "Partnership". Even the one's left know now they are expendable and UPS will cast them aside if needed. Just like any other corporation or business.
There is no longer the UPS culture of the past – just a typical Corporate non-culture.

You are right on point. This is not about drivers, It is about reducing redundancy. It is also about creating a more streamlined efficient unit that moves in the same direction and allowing the most effective managers to be put in positions that will compliment their skill level.

As for the partnership, this started going south after the company went public (and really before that).

I remember the good ole days when you knew the spouse of your boss and another level up from them. When you felt like you were part of Jim Casey's family and you would be protected supported and nurtured. I feel bad for those who have never known those feelings.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You are right on point. This is not about drivers, It is about reducing redundancy. It is also about creating a more streamlined efficient unit that moves in the same direction and allowing the most effective managers to be put in positions that will compliment their skill level.

As for the partnership, this started going south after the company went public (and really before that).

I remember the good ole days when you knew the spouse of your boss and another level up from them. When you felt like you were part of Jim Casey's family and you would be protected supported and nurtured. I feel bad for those who have never known those feelings.
Nowadays MGMT treats you like you're in Parochial school. Hit with ruler, then ask questions later, no matter what the questions pertain to. I pray to God that those knuckleheads, and you know very well who you are, will be the first to go. Sorry for the rant, but I remember the "Good Ole Days", too.

40 and out

This is about cutting costs where possible. Can't cut drivers. Need all we have now. Really need more. While it may be desirable to have these cut management positions,they are not imperative to keep UPS running. As far as driver buyouts, UPS would save some money by using a lot of new drivers,but they would have to pay too much in buyout money to get rid of enough old timers to make it worthwile

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol

Don't know why people count on the company to give you anything. If you put money away every week, in 25 you shouldn't need the pension. If we get one then it should be a bonus........ JMO.

I am planning for my future by taking care of business and not counting on anything.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Don't know why people count on the company to give you anything. If you put money away every week, in 25 you shouldn't need the pension. If we get one then it should be a bonus........ JMO.

I am planning for my future by taking care of business and not counting on anything.
Good luck with that. I'm guessing that you've got a small family, have never been on comp, never had credit card debt (due to comp being cut off or what have you), no child support, etc... Some or maybe most people don't live ideal lives and are forced to live paycheck to paycheck. Not picking on you if you can do that, User Name, just saying.:peaceful: