Where is Your Retirement Destination?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Staying put right now for some family obligations, but we'll leave this high price area at some point. Arizona is pretty high on the list, but Ms Jones has been eyeballing Georgia lately and I wouldn't mind that either.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Staying put right now for some family obligations, but we'll leave this high price area at some point. Arizona is pretty high on the list, but Ms Jones has been eyeballing Georgia lately and I wouldn't mind that either.
Same here, I like AZ but the missus likes Florida.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We looked at Florida but we decided the year-round heat, humidity, bugs, and alligators everywhere didn't sound like fun. I like Georgia where I was born because we do get a little change in the weather. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg to live here either. I can drive a few hours in different directions to lay on the beach or hike in the mountains. I was born and grew up on the West side of Atlanta. We decided to build a new house in a Del Webb retirement community, we love here and have plenty to do. We moved about thirty miles South of Atlanta into an area that is still a little bit rural.

DriverNerd

I've been researching Florida and I hear a lot of what you just said in different forums. If only Florida weren't so humid I don't think I'd hesitate moving there. I hear the drivers are really bad too and the last thing I want to do is get in my car and be stuck in traffic all day.
My dad moved to Miami (from Minnesota intending to retire in FL) for his last couple years of work, then retired to Fort Myers. It's way to humid for me in Florida, but I can definitely see the appeal of someplace warm. Winters there are fantastic. Summers are just humid, hurricane messes.

Johney

I mean, I like Florida too but I don't like the idea of having to flee the state every couple years in hurricane season.

Summers are just humid, hurricane messes.
Only fled one in my life here and that was Andrew, I'll never flee one again. Took too long to get anywhere on the roads. Not that I haven't sweated a few, the one a few years ago(Dorian?) that sat over the Bahama's for like 3 days was one.

Captain Qwark

"I don't deserve these bulbous buttocks."
I lived in Malaysia back in the early 70's. would love to live back there.
The food is great and the people are friendly.
Plus you can live like a king on the american dollar still.
I'd be interested in hearing if anybody retired overseas and how they like it. I'd also be curious to know how medical benefits work if you're not a citizen.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'd be interested in hearing if anybody retired overseas and how they like it. I'd also be curious to know how medical benefits work if you're not a citizen.
I don't know anyone from UPS who has, but if you google around a bit there's plenty of articles about people retiring overseas. I've done a fair bit of reading about it and there are definitely countries with very affordable top-notch medical care but you have to do a lot of research and even if it makes financial sense I think most people just aren't comfortable leaving the US and moving to another country. At the very least you need to be willing to learn another language.

Captain Qwark

I don't know anyone from UPS who has, but if you google around a bit there's plenty of articles about people retiring overseas. I've done a fair bit of reading about it and there are definitely countries with very affordable top-notch medical care but you have to do a lot of research and even if it makes financial sense I think most people just aren't comfortable leaving the US and moving to another country. At the very least you need to be willing to learn another language.
Yeah, I've researched some but haven't come across anybody talking specifically how medical works as a retired expat and if they're billed differently for example. Something I would have to ask my insurance provider. Yes, it would be uncomfortable leaving one's comfort zone to start a new beginning, but you can always move back if you discover it's not for you. It just seems like the US is one big mess that I don't want to be a part of anymore. As far as learning a new language, I'd be up for it. I'll probably end up staying here, but I can dream, can't I?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
We were in the Peace Corp and learned the language with classes 8 hours a day 7 days a week for 6 weeks. Just enough to get by.

The public schools were all in English. Most students knew 3 languages. Their mother tongue whether it be Malay, Chinese, Indian , and English. All Chinese and Indians had to learn Malay.

My nickname was OP , or orangputeh which means white person. Our family was the only white people in the whole town so in 2 years received a crash course in racism.

Racism is world wide. And not confined to just one color.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yeah, I've researched some but haven't come across anybody talking specifically how medical works as a retired expat and if they're billed differently for example. Something I would have to ask my insurance provider. Yes, it would be uncomfortable leaving one's comfort zone to start a new beginning, but you can always move back if you discover it's not for you. It just seems like the US is one big mess that I don't want to be a part of anymore. As far as learning a new language, I'd be up for it. I'll probably end up staying here, but I can dream, can't I?
If you're asking how your retiree insurance will work the answer is it won't. As far as I know there is no US-based insurance that will cover medical care in a foreign country.

Commercial Inside Release

There is only one place that matters at all. Southern Europe. Spending all your retirement exploring antiquity and your roots throughout Europe is all that matters, even if you have to ditch lifelong friends to do it. South because it is cheaper, and more comfy... Don't want the board scavengers to think I'm a Gaul or Wop.
Nothing.
Else.
Matters.

Now, the new COVID variant is killing the dream, yet again. 3 years of this $&!+ And no end in sight!

Captain Qwark

If you're asking how your retiree insurance will work the answer is it won't. As far as I know there is no US-based insurance that will cover medical care in a foreign country.
From my booklet: "With BCBS Global Core, you have more access to inpatient and outpatient Hospital care and Physician services when you are traveling or living outside the US as well as medical assistance and claims support services."

I'd need to get more info on this, but it sounds like retiree insurance would work.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
From my booklet: "With BCBS Global Core, you have more access to inpatient and outpatient Hospital care and Physician services when you are traveling or living outside the US as well as medical assistance and claims support services."

I'd need to get more info on this, but it sounds like retiree insurance would work.
Interesting, I may stand corrected on that.