Where the union screwed the pooch in negotiations

onewithedd

I can see it now, we get a/c and it will be “ you may elect to take a 10 minute per hour with the a/c running, this time will count toward your unpaid meal breaks and paid breaks”.

I do believe it should be required in routes driving over 175 miles a day

Integrity

Binge Poster
I doubt it. UPS will argue the "air conditioning won't work in a package car thing " until the cows come home (because they are right as long as the trucks have to be shut off at each stop). The most you could hope for is MAYBE air conditioning for the high mileage routes. I agree venting could and should be improved.
Disagree.

They will eventually do it.

Observer

Where are they spending the 2.5 Billion in profits? Abney and ALL management who have a company vehicle should be forced to drive it with no A/C. In Atlanta where you need it in the summer. They should not get preferential treatment. You can order the cars without A/C. It's called "rolling down the windows". The one thing OSHA should check out is the fact the drivers are driving with doors open to cool and being held down by a rickety old seatbelt. The vehicles are not maintained like in years past so this is a safety issue. Say you're in an accident - what happens to the driver - does he/she get thrown out of the vehicle or will the seatbelt help. Another question do package cars have airbags? The OSHA fine should've been 6 figures and then a COMPLETE audit of the company for the past 5 years on "heat related" injuries would have come into play. Excessive cold for the body isn't good either.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
OSHA cites UPS for "excessive heat" exposure after NBC investigation

Working conditions is where there was sympathy to be had but leadership didn’t bother to use any leverage at all.

What leverage was that ?

Members were so scared of the company, only 22% bothered to participate in the

strike authorization vote. That's hardly a mandate.

But, blame Hoffa and the Union.

I don’t get too caught up in the heat issue although I do think they could vent the cargo area better

That's a more rational thought.

If the company could afford to retrofit all those older trucks with the automatic

door opener thingy, they can afford to vent the cargo area.

but we are gonna have a/c in the next 5-7 years because of public outcry you watch.

Public outcry ?

Pfft....

They already tried that on FaceBook. :biggrin:

KOG72

I’m full of it
What leverage was that ?

If the company could afford to retrofit all those older trucks with the automatic

Public outcry ?

Pfft....

I have customers all the time ask me if I signed the petition for a/c.... I just say no because it’s never gonna happen.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
AC? My first 3 Summers in Delivery we had to wear long pants,no shorts.Wimps...

How many drivers (now) could go on route, without their cell phone ?

You know what's funny;

"The Employer shall supply both a lightweight uniform for summer and a heavier uniform for winter. Each employee will be issued six (6) pairs of trousers and ten (10) shirts. The employee will be allowed to select his/her choice of shirts and trousers, in any combination, from short sleeve shirts, long sleeve shirts, shirt jacs, light trousers and heavy trousers."

It's still current language in the Central Region.

Maybe....

@Brownslave688 could get "the ball rolling" and file the 1st grievance ?

It would be a start.

:biggrin:

-Bug-

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What leverage was that ?

Public outcry ?

Pfft....

I’m not talking about UPSers outcry. I’m taking about the general public and Osha. More customers every year are shocked that we don’t have air. More petitions are started every year. More news stories. Times are changing

Where'sMyRegularDriver?

Could you describe the ruckus, sir?
I would be happy with this. Obviously sub the Bud for something else.
41eSXt6k3WL.jpg