Where will all the 22.4 drivers come from?

There will be Hybrid Drivers and it is NOT a concession!!

-Denis T, 2018

vote-pig-meeting-18901305.jpg
But going from $40 to $50 on a pay shortage was a concession.....

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Assuming that the 22.4’s equal the 25%, the company cannot just replace 5 retiring drivers with 5 22.4’s.

Careful. The only number they can NOT replace are those that driver M-friend. How many routes did you building run on Monday? There's your number.

OOO but they can hire (at this time, they can go ask Dennis for more anytime they like) 25% of the total drivers in your building, even those who do not work Monday.

DR7

No. I think it’s the other side of the spectrum. I believe as RPCDs retire those jobs will be red circled and replaced with the 22.4s. That’s just brainstorming possibilities with what the company has in store for the upcoming chess match.
Talking with another 25+ year driver today about this. Is 22.4 going to be where someone wanting to be a rpcd will go through progression now? Let’s say they work the preload and run a half day for four years while in progression, then as rpcds retire they bid into that position already having gone through progression? Are they then at full scale rpcd wages?

542thruNthru

Talking with another 25+ year driver today about this. Is 22.4 going to be where someone wanting to be a rpcd will go through progression now? Let’s say they work the preload and run a half day for four years while in progression, then as rpcds retire they bid into that position already having gone through progression? Are they then at full scale rpcd wages?

RPCD positions will still go by seniority. Just because you're a 22.4 doesn't mean you get to go before someone else.

If you have been a 22.4 for 4 years yes it will count as progression but trust me. TRUST ME! It will not be 8 hour days. This job will suck worse then any job at UPS.

DR7

RPCD positions will still go by seniority. Just because you're a 22.4 doesn't mean you get to go before someone else.

If you have been a 22.4 for 4 years yes it will count as progression but trust me. TRUST ME! It will not be 8 hour days. This job will suck worse then any job at UPS.
Oh yeah. I totally agree it will suck. Most of our drivers in progression only work about 7 months a year as a driver anyway. How is that going to work? Rpcd is laid off for a week...can they bump 22.4? Two part time shifts? Are 22.4s laid off first? Can they bump part timers?

There is so many loopholes in this proposal...err tentative agreement... it’s not what is written, it is all the things that are left out that can be exploited by the company that worry me.

browned out

Careful. The only number they can NOT replace are those that driver M-friend. How many routes did you building run on Monday? There's your number.

OOO but they can hire (at this time, they can go ask Dennis for more anytime they like) 25% of the total drivers in your building, even those who do not work Monday.

No doubt about it. The 25% number should be based off the average number of drivers working all days in the week. ie: 30 on Monday 60 on T-TH and 55 on Friday. Otherwise this 25% number is based of Monday driver #s when the most routes are cut.

542thruNthru

Oh yeah. I totally agree it will suck. Most of our drivers in progression only work about 7 months a year as a driver anyway. How is that going to work? Rpcd is laid off for a week...can they bump 22.4? Two part time shifts? Are 22.4s laid off first? Can they bump part timers?

There is so many loopholes in this proposal...err tentative agreement... it’s not what is written, it is all the things that are left out that can be exploited by the company that worry me.

You're question is actually in the tentative agreement.

Screenshot_20180711-193542.png

That tells me that if a RPCD is laid off. So are you.

This 22.4 language is garbage and is recommend a No vote and make them change it. It's up to you though my friend.

542thruNthru

No doubt about it. The 25% number should be based off the average number of drivers working all days in the week. ie: 30 on Monday 60 on T-TH and 55 on Friday. Otherwise this 25% number is based of Monday driver #s when the most routes are cut.

Where are you guys getting # of routes? It's regular FT drivers that work M-friend schedules. Not who runs a route. If you are a FT driver that doesn't work T-S then you are a RPCD.

DR7

View attachment 201673

This 22.4 language is garbage and is recommend a No vote and make them change it. It's up to you though my friend.

Haha. Brother, I’ve been driving for 20 years next month with five years parttime before that. I’m not too worried about getting laid off. But we have younger drivers that aren’t as informed as they should be and I want them to understand what we are voting on. Our steward has communication issues and a lot of guys come to me with questions on this stuff.

I’m voting no on this for sure but I doubt it is going away. You seem to be in the know, so my question to you is, how do we communicate what language we want changes and what direction we want the change to go in? I’m in a small center (30 drivers) and don’t catch too many wiffs of a ba in our area.

542thruNthru

Haha. Brother, I’ve been driving for 20 years next month with five years parttime before that. I’m not too worried about getting laid off. But we have younger drivers that aren’t as informed as they should be and I want them to understand what we are voting on. Our steward has communication issues and a lot of guys come to me with questions on this stuff.

I’m voting no on this for sure but I doubt it is going away. You seem to be in the know, so my question to you is, how do we communicate what language we want changes and what direction we want the change to go in? I’m in a small center (30 drivers) and don’t catch too many wiffs of a ba in our area.

First off I am in no way in the know, but I did sleep with @Turdferguson sister last night so I'm feeling pretty smart. ;)

To be honest man I don't have a for sure answer for you. I know if it's voted down they will have to make changes. I assume they will ask the membership why they voted it down and then we can tell them what changes we want.

browned out

Where are you guys getting # of routes? It's regular FT drivers that work M-friend schedules. Not who runs a route. If you are a FT driver that doesn't work T-S then you are a RPCD.

My bad. You are right on the language but the result is still the same.

The number of RPCDs working a Monday through Friday schedule in each building,

How many drivers actually work a M-friend schedule when so many routes are cut on Mondays? That language is vague at best. It should be based on the total number of drivers worked on an average week. Then divide by 5. That would be a fair number. UPS and the Teamsters should not mislead people. The number of drivers working a Tuesday to Friday schedule is much higher than if Monday is included. Sneaky Unethical

Rack em

Made the Podium

View attachment 201673

The worst part about that language is "No RPCD shall be laid off or displaced from the classification while 22.4 combination drivers are WORKING IN THE BUILDING"

That can be interpreted in a few different ways, but we all the know the company will interpret it as a 22.4 doing part time work inside the building. So we all know the 22.4 aren't required to do inside work and we all know they will be mainly used to only deliver. So what's stopping the company from working a 22.4 driver before a RPCD since no 22.4 "worked in the building" that day?

542thruNthru

The worst part about that language is "No RPCD shall be laid off or displaced from the classification while 22.4 combination drivers are WORKING IN THE BUILDING"

That can be interpreted in a few different ways, but we all the know the company will interpret it as a 22.4 doing part time work inside the building. So we all know the 22.4 aren't required to do inside work and we all know they will be mainly used to only deliver. So what's stopping the company from working a 22.4 driver before a RPCD since no 22.4 "worked in the building" that day?

To be honest man I think you're reading to much into that. I could be wrong though.

browned out

As someone already stated; UPS is not required to create any new FT jobs in the 1st year of the contract.

That is because UPS needs a year or so to open up FT positions by targeting and discharging FT drivers. There are too many FT seniority drivers in the centers. From what I can discern from the Master is: The # of Protected jobs will only be whatever your center runs on Mondays. If that ends up to be the case; A center that has 60 FT drivers on its seniority list but only 30 drivers work on average Mondays; then Only 30 jobs will be protected. Attrition and Retirement will not address this issue in a time frame that optimizes UPS's new vision. UPS does not have to replace every RPCD position; Only the number of protected RPCD positions.

Rack em

Made the Podium
To be honest man I think you're reading to much into that. I could be wrong though.
Ups exploits language any chance they get!!! The way the language is presented will allow Ups to abuse it like I said. It needs to be changed to "No RPCD shall be laid off or displaced from the classification by any 22.4 employee."

542thruNthru

Ups exploits language any chance they get!!! The way the language is presented will allow Ups to abuse it like I said. It needs to be changed to "No RPCD shall be laid off or displaced from the classification by any 22.4 employee."

Let's be honest. The whole damn thing needs to go! :)