White Folks Pandering

vantexan

Actually if we ever get past racial issues, maybe we’ll get around to economic oppression that affects far mor people.
I'm still for business owners voluntarily sharing the wealth created by their business with their employees. Any business owner that talks about economic oppression while paying his employees just enough to get by while he does well is disingenuous at best.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm still for business owners voluntarily sharing the wealth created by their business with their employees. Any business owner that talks about economic oppression while paying his employees just enough to get by while he does well is disingenuous at best.
It’s not a mystery where all the money goes in this country.

vantexan

It’s not a mystery where all the money goes in this country.
All the money? Imagine that, you're a businessman who makes no money. What motivates you? I will agree with you that businesses can be more generous with their employees. Forced equality with little or no profit motive however will cause the country to crash. Businesses need to be more generous, and employees need to be satisfied with a reasonable amount, not always pushing for more. But it will never be enough, class envy will cause people to push for more, and eventually demand a change to a system they're convinced will be better but has never worked. But they are convinced they'll be the ones who'll get it right. Hubris.

bbsam

Staff member
All the money? Imagine that, you're a businessman who makes no money. What motivates you? I will agree with you that businesses can be more generous with their employees. Forced equality with little or no profit motive however will cause the country to crash. Businesses need to be more generous, and employees need to be satisfied with a reasonable amount, not always pushing for more. But it will never be enough, class envy will cause people to push for more, and eventually demand a change to a system they're convinced will be better but has never worked. But they are convinced they'll be the ones who'll get it right. Hubris.
C’mon now. Class envy wil always exist but there was a time when a single worker in the household could comfortably afford to raise a family. And that was the norm. We’re a long way from that now.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Actually if we ever get past racial issues, maybe we’ll get around to economic oppression that affects far mor people.
That's a big if!
If people who are born in the USA and are a 5th generation USA citizen or more are still not assimilating into the American Value system,
that if will never come to fruition.

Last edited:

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
C’mon now. Class envy wil always exist but there was a time when a single worker in the household could comfortably afford to raise a family. And that was the norm. We’re a long way from that now.
Primarily because that worker has not learned the skills of the Information Age and are working at a job that can be done by a robot.
Also because Americans have so much stuff they don't need.
The generation you are talking about lived in a small 800 sq ft house, one car, 1 television, no smartphones, and so on and so on.
I know people/families who reject the Consumerism Society and they have one working family member and they seem content although they do have Internet.

vantexan

And when women entered the workforce in droves households were on average flush with money. The market corrected that by charging more for everything. Spending drives demand, demand drives prices. But I do remember when we got by just fine as a kid in the 60's when my Dad brought home $75 a week and my mom worked part-time while we were in school. Eventually in '77 my dad was making $35k a year, the equivalent of almost $120k in 2010. And my stepmom made another $15k. But their home was bought at early 70's prices and they were able to pay it off by '85. And live very well while doing that. But try that today with our service economy. About half the country is just a little above the poverty line.

vantexan

Primarily because that worker has not learned the skills of the Information Age and are working at a job that can be done by a robot.
The generation you are talking about lived in a small 800 sq ft house, one car, 1 television, no smartphones, and so on and so on.
I know people/families who reject the Consumerism Society and they have one working family member and they seem content although they do have Internet.
I'm literally finding for myself I don't need the latest and greatest anything anymore. I look at cool gadgets and vehicles online, ooo and awww at them and move on. Consumerism only satisfies for a short time, then there's another must have item. I'm just cutting out the spending part. And on $22k a year works for me. Same goes for buying music, can listen for free on YouTube. But I am willing to pay for internet.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I don't have any expectations of freedom or tolerance of the UK.
That's why I marked out Great Britain from the American Values & Culture from the chart I posted in Becoming An American Means Assimilating American Values & Culture | Current Events!
GB might have been a model to follow 200 years ago but not anymore ... certainly not for Americans.

bbsam

Staff member
Careful now. You act like current generations have been fiscally responsibly. We hate taxes but have 20 year unfounded wars going on. It’s funny that we act individually conservative, act like we’ve done well to save what we have and disregard the debt we think we’ve handed future generations.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Careful now. You act like current generations have been fiscally responsibly. We hate taxes but have 20 year unfounded wars going on. It’s funny that we act individually conservative, act like we’ve done well to save what we have and disregard the debt we think we’ve handed future generations.
Not sure where that came from ... totally different use of the word 'generations'. SMH

But to your point ... I think all generations from 1960 on have been extremely wasteful and and very irresponsible fiscally.
I am an individual ... therefore, I accepted no responsibility for 'generations' as you use the word.

I don't cotton to groups.

1595015684319.png

bbsam

Staff member
Not sure where that came from ... totally different use of the word 'generations'. SMH

But to your point ... I think all generations from 1960 on have been extremely wasteful and and very irresponsible fiscally.
I am an individual ... therefore, I accepted no responsibility for 'generations' as you use the word.

I don't cotton to groups.

View attachment 302681
Not sure what part is hard for you to understand. We haven’t been paying as we go because we hate taxes. Who is going to pay for what we haven’t paid for? If we as a society haven’t paid for it, we as individuals (rugged or not) haven’t either.

vantexan

Not sure what part is hard for you to understand. We haven’t been paying as we go because we hate taxes. Who is going to pay for what we haven’t paid for? If we as a society haven’t paid for it, we as individuals (rugged or not) haven’t either.
No matter if we collect X taxes under this president, or Y taxes under that president, we spend more than we take in. We should do an across the board cut on everything until we balance the budget and then some to pay down the debt, but no one wants to take the political hit.

vantexan

Part of that is computers let one person do the work that once took many office workers. So there's only so many of those type jobs available. People have to take whatever they can get when there's a glut of people looking for similar work.