Who doesn't have to work peak?

poophappens

I'm off from now till jan 13 since I had a child and taking fmla. I know some people don't like that but all I have to say is that I pay taxes into this every week and don't feel bad at all because I'm entitled to it. And I want to be with my newborn and family. To bad my center manager didn't see it this way.. He will get over it. Merry Christmas everyone!

poophappens

Superballs63 I don't know how to respond via private message so email me at ************

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm off from now till jan 13 since I had a child and taking fmla. I know some people don't like that but all I have to say is that I pay taxes into this every week and don't feel bad at all because I'm entitled to it. And I want to be with my newborn and family. To bad my center manager didn't see it this way.. He will get over it. Merry Christmas everyone!

How can you pay taxes in to what is an unpaid leave program?

I know I will get flamed for this, which is fine, but when you say "I had a child", do you mean that you and your wife had a child or that you actually gave birth to the child? If it is the latter then congratulations and a well-deserved break from Peak are in order. If it was your wife who had the child you need to get your butt back to work.

I know I will get flamed for this, which is fine, but when you say "I had a child", do you mean that you and your wife had a child or that you actually gave birth to the child? If it is the latter then congratulations and a well-deserved break from Peak are in order. If it was your wife who had the child you need to get your butt back to work.

Because?

Fmla provides for 6/12 weeks of unpaid leave for an approved reason. UPS had to approve it before he/she could take it.

MAKAVELI

Fmla provides paid time off for baby bonding for the mother and father. If you don't like it, well I guess that is too damn bad.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Because?FMLA provides for 6/12 weeks of unpaid leave for an approved reason. UPS had to approve it before he/she could take it.

So your co-workers should get screwed because you want to stay home and play Daddy?

As I said, if the person who wrote this is the birth mother then by all means stay home and take care of yourself and the baby. If the person is the father then IMO two weeks should be sufficient and then get your butt back to work.

Both of my kids were born while I was on active duty and she was a RN working full-time. I forget how much time we were given but after two weeks she said I was driving her crazy and begged me to go back to "work". (I used the quotes because the work that I did while in the service paled in comparison to the work that I now do.) Her parents flew down to help out with every new grandchild so, really, I got in the way. After 4 weeks she was going stir crazy and couldn't wait to get back to work.

I know that the program provides for up to 6.5 weeks of unpaid leave but if the birth mother has a support network in place is there really any need for the father to stay home other than an excuse to miss Peak?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why???

There is nothing wrong with a dad wanting to help his wife and newborn get settled into life. A baby is only a baby once. If a person can take advantage of FMLA, they should.

There is nothing wrong with a Dad wanting to help his wife and newborn get settled----I totally agree----but does it really take 6 weeks to do this?

MAKAVELI

There is nothing wrong with a Dad wanting to help his wife and newborn get settled----I totally agree----but does it really take 6 weeks to do this?

Does it really matter what you think is acceptable? This is the law, so deal with it. Just because you didn't want to bond with your children doesn't mean others shouldn't just to make it easier for others at work. That's your management's job.

MAKAVELI

I wonder if the same person would take 6.5 weeks of unpaid leave at any other time of the year.

When it comes to their child it's up to them and really shouldn't matter to anyone else. It's a personal decision and should be treated as such. Do you want to start dictating when people should conceive so as not to give birth close to peak?

barnyard

KTM rider
I wonder if the same person would take 6.5 weeks of unpaid leave at any other time of the year.

Who cares???

Peak is hella stressful, as is being a new parent. I see nothing wrong with taking one of those stresses off the plate of a new family. Getting a new family off to a good start is so very important.

poophappens

Exactly.. And as I said before I know some people don't like it and I'm glad it's state issued in CA and I pay into it. When your wife goes through post pardon depression it's the only way to get through it.

MAKAVELI

Exactly.. And as I said before I know some people don't like it and I'm glad it's state issued in CA and I pay into it. When your wife goes through post pardon depression it's the only way to get through it.

And the short term disability CA provides helps to be able to afford to stay home.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When it comes to their child it's up to them and really shouldn't matter to anyone else. It's a personal decision and should be treated as such. Do you want to start dictating when people should conceive so as not to give birth close to peak?

You seem to have a problem with people expressing their personal opinions.

If this forum permitted it I would love to give my personal opinion of you.

barnyard

KTM rider
In Canada, both spouses can take up to 6 months of the 1st year at 80% of their salary. A friend of mine used to manage a Cargill grain buying facility in Canada and he saw it as a positive for the family and a positive for the work force. He had to have additional staff to cover family leaves, so it was good for employment policy. Plus, he said that employees would come back to work, ready to work. They had far fewer sick calls, as many couples would split their leave so that both were not at work until the newborn was 11 months old.

FMLA is a positive on so many fronts and the US is a world leader for how little time off they give new parents.