Who doesn't have to work peak?

It's a simple question-----would the same people who are willing to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave at Peak do the same at any other time of year? Think about it----that is 3 months off for the birth of a child. Unless you are the birth mother (and even then it would be excessive) or there were complications during or after the birth, why in the world would anyone need to take 12 weeks after the birth of a child?

Knock on wood you have 9 months to save to take time off. Maybe people just want to, Dave.

The "get ones back to work" was for those using FMLA as an excuse to get out of Peak.

You say "to get out of peak" but would it be better to spread it across Memorial day, 4th of July and Labor day?

If management is doing their job right they will use the fact that the driver has informed them that when the child arrives he will begin his FMLA period and plan accordingly by having a cover driver in the center and therefore negate the effect of the FMLA drivers absence. You are aware that by law a FMLA user is required to let UPS know as soon as practicable that they will be taking FMLA and in the case of a childbirth they could be given a fairly good ballpark date? So by theory you and the other "screwed drivers" should be blaming UPS mgmt for your "screwing". That should free you up to wish your fellow union member the best as he takes time off. Lord knows mgmt makes the right decisions at peak,right?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
When my wife gives birth, I plan on taking a month, MAYBE 6 weeks off to help her out around the house, and help her to take care of the newborn. The time of year doesn't make ANY difference to me. If it's in June or December, I'm going to take the same amount of time off.

Management can like it or hate it, I'm not going to lose any sleep over that.

I'll lose sleep due to a crying child

When my wife gives birth, I plan on taking a month, MAYBE 6 weeks off to help her out around the house, and help her to take care of the newborn. The time of year doesn't make ANY difference to me. If it's in June or December, I'm going to take the same amount of time off.

Management can like it or hate it, I'm not going to lose any sleep over that.

I'll lose sleep due to a crying child

When you do, apply for FMLA as Intermittent. You'll be able to take time at birth but also time throughout the year as needed if you have to. The need for you around the house to help doesn't end when the baby pops out.