Who Took the Day Off Today?

BlackCat

How do you guys not have to work when your routes are cut? They claim I have the “right to work” because of seniority, but not the “right not to work”. I am the highest seniority driver in our center and they cut my route and lay the low seniority people off, while I have to run a combo route a couple of days a week.
I guess your center is one of those rare force from the top down.. :lol:

How do you guys not have to work when your routes are cut? They claim I have the “right to work” because of seniority, but not the “right not to work”. I am the highest seniority driver in our center and they cut my route and lay the low seniority people off, while I have to run a combo route a couple of days a week.

Today they threw that right out the window and made the low guys work if no one volunteered.
Make em pay....

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Today they threw that right out the window and made the low guys work if no one volunteered.
Exactly what we are told too.

I just suck it up if they put me on something unfamiliar.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I didn't want to run four or five combined routes today, so I'm sitting this day out. Might as well give the newbies and seasonals the chance to make some extra money. My present situation is finishing another cup of coffee while sitting in my recliner enjoying my new LPs on the turntable.
I didn’t know you were a dj in your spare time???

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Vacation is not extra work either.

Guess which way that is picked.
Some areas have language giving guys with higher seniority the right to take off anytime over a lower seniority driver.

Some areas do not have that language.

It’s been covered 100 times here. Congrats if you have that language but not every where is the same.

BlackCat

Some areas have language giving guys with higher seniority the right to take off anytime over a lower seniority driver.

Some areas do not have that language.

It’s been covered 100 times here. Congrats if you have that language but not every where is the same.

You should not need language stating such.

Seniority is self-explanatory.

You guys might as well scrap it if you are not going to properly utilize it.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.

I don't know enough about our contract to know whether this is a supplemental issue or not, but where I'm from you absolutely have the "right not to work" by seniority if there are more drivers than work available. RTO (or RLO) is given by seniority. If enough higher seniority drivers wanted to go home today I would have been stuck doing one of their routes.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
You should not need language stating such.

Seniority is self-explanatory.

You guys might as well scrap it if you are not going to properly utilize it.
Seniority is the right to work here. Not the right to go home. If your scheduled here and another guy lower than you is not, they have to agree to cover your route. Otherwise you are scheduled to work.

vvv

I didn't want to run four or five combined routes today, so I'm sitting this day out. Might as well give the newbies and seasonals the chance to make some extra money. My present situation is finishing another cup of coffee while sitting in my recliner enjoying my new LPs on the turntable.

As customary with me, the last day I worked was Friday. Then was asked if I wanted off today. Like butter on a roll. :)