Who's Stupid Idea Was "Stops Per Car"?

Re-Raise

Analysis - center with 6000 stops/ 50 drivers = 120 spc
center with 6000 stops/ 48 drivers = 125 spc
5 stops per car means 2 less drivers, 2 less package cars, 2 less routes with to and from miles, 2 less diads = a whole lot of money saved

A driver is out on the road with no supervision = let the work supervise the drivers

It is all so simple from the office.

What if the extra stops include a town with businesses that the combination route driver has to break off to get before they close?

They then have to return to the other town to make pickups.

What about the driver who has to run the air to the towns that the cut route used to get on the way out?

The 6000 stops are still spread out over the same area, you are just paying time and a half for the driver to deliver them.

"Let the work supervise the driver".... Just keep paying me that overtime while they figure out how much money they are wasting on managers with fewer drivers.

deleted9

It is all so simple from the office.

What if the extra stops include a town with businesses that the combination route driver has to break off to get before they close?

They then have to return to the other town to make pickups.

What about the driver who has to run the air to the towns that the cut route used to get on the way out?

The 6000 stops are still spread out over the same area, you are just paying time and a half for the driver to deliver them.

"Let the work supervise the driver".... Just keep paying me that overtime while they figure out how much money they are wasting on managers with fewer drivers.

Do you have any idea how much it cost to put another driver out on the road?
a ctr doing 15 sporh - 5 spc = 20 min per driver
20 min per driver at o/t is approx = $864
2 drivers pay approx = $615 for day
that leaves $249 to break even
you have 2 package cars, maintenance on those cars, insurance on those cars(ups only pays insurance on what goes on the road), fuel for those cars, 2 diads and cost of messages back and forth, plus a bunch of other costs. = a whole lot more than $249

Re-Raise

you have 2 package cars, maintenance on those cars, insurance on those cars(ups only pays insurance on what goes on the road), fuel for those cars, 2 diads and cost of messages back and forth, plus a bunch of other costs. = a whole lot more than $249

Aren't you retired?

The reality is it doesn't save miles at our center, so you are adding miles to the cars that are on the road as well as burning as much fuel as you would have if you had the usual routes on.

And enlighten me with your expertise... how much does sending a diad message cost? Technology may have changed a little since you left.

I will be sure to tell the other drivers at my center that the high cost of DIAD messages is somehow leading to the 10 hr dispatches.

deleted9

Just trying to educate on some of the reasons why, but of course there are those that will complain no matter what as a defense mechanism for ignorance. Very SAD

Re-Raise

Just trying to educate on some of the reasons why, but of course there are those that will complain no matter what as a defense mechanism for ignorance. Very SAD

Please educate me. How can you possibly say the cost of sending DIAD messages is one of the reasons for cutting routes.

Hypothetically in your example of a center with 6000 stops you could set a stops per car number of 150. This would reduce the number of drivers to 40.

Obviously this would make the manager a genius while the people that actually do the work are on the streets 2 hours longer each day.

The number is generated by someone who couldn't even find the towns I deliver to on a map.

BrownArmy

2units, we're aware of the reasons why, we're just bullshi$ about the way it's being implemented.

This company will bend down to pick up a shiny dime, meanwhile silver dollars are falling out of it's pockets...

Nobody cares why. The company is knowingly and intentionally violating the national labor agreement it willingly agreed to and signed into action. I do not care about your bottom line or how many shekels you can save by ignoring the contract. Run your arrogant, evil and thoughtless company within the confines of the contract it signed and maybe then I'll entertain your excuses for poor business decisions.

DS

Fenderbender
We work on improving the preload, improving the trace and dispatch. When that is done, miles per stop increase. That means miles is down and we replace the reduced miles with stops. That is the proper way to increase SPC.

Why is this not being done company wide instead of you trying to fix it by "visiting" random centers?

All three underlined are my concern.
Air in load,misloads,boxes falling apart,in a p7 that has 250 pkgs in it,
And its my fault if I find a 10:30 buried under the 73 boxes for the home depot.
Or I missed a scan,from some 2 year old tracking label on a reused box.

You'd think they would have the technology to dis authenticate any tracking number that has been used previously.
P man ,I realize that production is money,surely some of the horror stories of 70 business stops + 70 resi's left to do after your pickups is just exaggeration.
I still like my job,but they hinder more than help.
I say eliminate preload,let us load our own cars.(no late air)
Have a 2nd wave of drivers start at noon to help with dispatch concerns,and late pickups
P-Man[/QUOTE]

sosocal

Fearful management people make stupid decisions. Confident management people make smart ones.

Fearful management people are scared of losing their jobs, so they spoon-feed their superiors whichever number happens to be the current flavor of the week. Confident management people focus on results and they run the business properly, even when doing so fails to produce that particular number.

Fearful management people service the metric. Confident management people service the customer.

Are we a fear-based company, or a confidence-based company?

very good insight....And spot on in theory and application at UPS.... I have seen it, and continue to see it daily.

deleted9

Bread is something you eat... bred might work there but it is still an antiquated expression.

It is pretty late .. you must have gotten a long nap today.

Thanks for the correction, your jealousy is showing more and more with every post, you have a good SPC day.

deleted9

Nobody cares why. The company is knowingly and intentionally violating the national labor agreement it willingly agreed to and signed into action. I do not care about your bottom line or how many shekels you can save by ignoring the contract. Run your arrogant, evil and thoughtless company within the confines of the contract it signed and maybe then I'll entertain your excuses for poor business decisions.

Just remember you work for the company you do not run it, as far as poor business decision, ups continues to make money so I guess there good business decisions. What you think means absolutely nothing in scheme of things. Sorry

Just remember you work for the company you do not run it, as far as poor business decision, ups continues to make money so I guess there good business decisions. What you think means absolutely nothing in scheme of things. Sorry

That's correct. I do not run this company and what I think means zero to this company. 24 years fulltime driver and my input means zilch to this company and the brain surgeons who run it, tell me something I don't know. UPS still makes money but they could be making a lot MORE than it is. All I know is this dumb truck driver is gonna break 90k this year because of the "good business decisions".

UPS Lifer

I was hoping you'd chime in on this one. As usual you are right on and as usual I can't up your reputation without "spreading it around" first. Lame. Anyway......Fear is the correct word but we really should include STUPIDITY to the equation.

Come on man! Stops per car is "important"? Get real! The fact that there is even a formula for coming up with a stops per car metric should be the indicator that it is a bad idea. If you have rural routes in your center then its pretty much guaranteed that the stops per car metric is shot to hell. You can spend all day explaining how the formula comes up with the magic number for the day but it only take a second to see that it doesn't accomplish anything.

I agree with Sober and P-Man.

Back in the early 80's we were using this metric in the preload. It really was a preload measurement to determine how many cars to dispatch. SPC take into consideration rural routes. Back then it used the projected volume to determine the starting point for the number of cars dispatched. By the end of the day, we used stop counts and number of trailers unloaded to make the final adjustments for each car. It is the average in the center. Each car has it's own individual SPC just like SPORH for a center and each driver.

P-man hit it right on the nose.... It is a poor dispatch not the metric used.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I agree with Sober and P-Man.

Back in the early 80's we were using this metric in the preload. It really was a preload measurement to determine how many cars to dispatch. SPC take into consideration rural routes. Back then it used the projected volume to determine the starting point for the number of cars dispatched. By the end of the day, we used stop counts and number of trailers unloaded to make the final adjustments for each car. It is the average in the center. Each car has it's own individual SPC just like SPORH for a center and each driver.

P-man hit it right on the nose.... It is a poor dispatch not the metric used.

so who corrects this? at after correcting the dispatch,, what other aspect needs correcting???? i will say it again -----in my situation,, in the last year my dispatch has gone from 130 to constant 170's i have also gained about 30 miles. Worst part is my P700 cant handle the volume,, the load breaks down everyday and the car is a mess. last week i went out twice with over 200 stops,, both days my planned day was under 9/5 ,, last peak ,with a 4 hour helper 190's gave me a high 10 hr planned day... none of the mystery math or blame game changes the fact i gained 40 plus stops, more miles,, and lost alot of time ,,,nothing adds up

Re-Raise

Thanks for the correction, your jealousy is showing more and more with every post, you have a good SPC day.

Thanks for the entertainment. I am jealous of your comedic prowess. You were born and "bread" to amuse others it would seem.

I shared your DIAD message cost information with our driver group at the pcm this morning. It was nice to start the day with a good laugh.

If I could ask a follow up question so I fully grasp what your superior management mind is trying to convey.

Cutting routes means there will be fewer of the costly messages being sent for some reason right?

I didn't receive or send any messages today. How many extra routes will we be able to put on tomorrow because of the savings?

deleted9

That's correct. I do not run this company and what I think means zero to this company. 24 years fulltime driver and my input means zilch to this company and the brain surgeons who run it, tell me something I don't know. UPS still makes money but they could be making a lot MORE than it is. All I know is this dumb truck driver is gonna break 90k this year because of the "good business decisions".

Wow i"m impressed.........LOL