Why am I part of the union?

Observer

Years ago the post office paid 48 thousand a year + benefits. Recently I saw something about them and they now pay 65 thousand a year + benefits (off course now you see them delivering at night). In our area they mentioned on tv that they work the route and then pick up where they left off the next day. The guy who was inquiring was a retired carrier. He and a lot of us wonder how they get away with not delivering every scheduled day. The post office's response is that they can't get people to stay. BACK to the question at hand: ask to see the "paper" that you signed showing your intention to have dues withdrawn. They have to show it to you- you will learn that messing with your hours and payroll is a common practice. Read your contract and know your rights. Trust no one. Check your hours weekly-track them everyday. Enjoy the job as you're in for a bumpy ride.

BiggieBrown

I am a big Union fan and proud of it. Without the Union PT would be making 10/hr with no benefits instead of $13/hr and no benefits. Thank you Teamsters.

Here's something funny about that epic $10.30 an hour which I just learned the other day.
Out here they make a big deal about the $10.30 that you get, and how it's much higher than minimum wage because it's a union job.
Turns out - $10.30 IS MINIMUM WAGE for any business that is a federal contractor!!
(It's actually $10.35 so I guess they just screwed us out of $.05 but oh well)

So that's what part-timers got for the last contract with this great union - minimum :censored2:ing wage.
I'm guessing $13 is coming down the pipeline which is why they were forced to ration that out to us.

watdaflock?

So I am a rehire and just came back to my old hub a couple weeks ago. I remember clearly in the induction meeting HR asking if I wanted to join the Union and me telling them I did not.

I remember being asked the same thing last year, when I started working their the first time and also turning them down.

Well imagine my surprise when I take a look at my paycheck and see $15 deducted in union dues. What is going on here? Was I added to the union against my knowledge? Am I being scammed? Should I talk with my supervisor about this?

Sorry, if this is a dumb question. UPS is my first job, and I'm not quite sure exactly how I'm supposed to go about this.

The GOP Gestapo are killing Unions. It's embarrassing how so-many ignorant Union workers support Trump.

So I am a rehire and just came back to my old hub a couple weeks ago. I remember clearly in the induction meeting HR asking if I wanted to join the Union and me telling them I did not.

I remember being asked the same thing last year, when I started working their the first time and also turning them down.

Well imagine my surprise when I take a look at my paycheck and see $15 deducted in union dues. What is going on here? Was I added to the union against my knowledge? Am I being scammed? Should I talk with my supervisor about this?

Sorry, if this is a dumb question. UPS is my first job, and I'm not quite sure exactly how I'm supposed to go about this.
The union picked you up on waivers. Be thankful you have a job.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Here's something funny about that epic $10.30 an hour which I just learned the other day.
Out here they make a big deal about the $10.30 that you get, and how it's much higher than minimum wage because it's a union job.
Turns out - $10.30 IS MINIMUM WAGE for any business that is a federal contractor!!

So that's what part-timers got for the last contract with this great union - minimum :censored2:ing wage.
I'm guessing $13 is coming down the pipeline which is why they were forced to ration that out to us.

Part timers are disposable

Why do you think they only pay $10.35

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired

In a few words, you are very much on point.
Back in the day when the minimum wage was $3.35, the preload paid $9.00. A much better deal than today if you do the math. However the value of the health insurance is the big factor here that makes all the difference.
We had the insurance back in the day as well, but you could have also bought it anywhere else for a much better comparable rate than today.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
Years ago the post office paid 48 thousand a year + benefits. Recently I saw something about them and they now pay 65 thousand a year + benefits (off course now you see them delivering at night). In our area they mentioned on tv that they work the route and then pick up where they left off the next day. The guy who was inquiring was a retired carrier. He and a lot of us wonder how they get away with not delivering every scheduled day. The post office's response is that they can't get people to stay. BACK to the question at hand: ask to see the "paper" that you signed showing your intention to have dues withdrawn. They have to show it to you- you will learn that messing with your hours and payroll is a common practice. Read your contract and know your rights. Trust no one. Check your hours weekly-track them everyday. Enjoy the job as you're in for a bumpy ride.

Not exactly sure what the post office pays their carriers at this moment, but I'm certain that it's less than the rpcd top rate.
However I do know this as a fact. One of my wife's uncles recently retired as a letter carrier. He had a walking route in a large city.

When I told him about how our progression to top pay had increased to 4 years a couple of contracts ago he politely informed me that it took 17 years for him to work through all of the ratings and steps to finally land the top rate as a letter carrier. No freaking joke.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real

tenor.gif

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
If I knew I would be staying with UPS long term then I would definitely want to be a part of the union, however I'm not sure how long I will be staying. And yes at this moment in time every little bit of money counts for me, even $15.

Beyond that, I am more worried about the fact that I clearly declined to join both times when asked and for some reason I was added anyway, without my consent or knowledge.
giphy.gif