Why am I part of the union?

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
I’m in a right to work state and I’ve never been a huge labor union guy (upbringing and location), but like someone else said before, without the union we would be making what they make at FedEx or the post office. Also, when you are eligible for benefits, just think of the union dues as your health insurance cost. Where else could you get the coverage we have for that cheap?
The 1000 something I pay yearly is about 20 percent I was paying for crappy insurance back in the day

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
That's incredible. It's too bad Dave hated the union so much or you two could start a radio show giving investment advice. (He wouldn't give credit to the union for all those great things happening).
I learned from my Mom and Dad and they learned from the Great Depression.

Dave had nothing to do with it. It's just good ol common sense.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
gee, now you have me thinking why did I join the union?

I paid off my house in 17 years. My family did not want for anything . I retired at age 58. We have swollen 401k and other retirement funds balances . I have collected about $150,000.00 in pension payments in last 4 years. I have great health insurance and still have my health. If I wanted to work anywhere I would be hired on the spot because of my work history . I'm having a great retirement.

All because of the gosh darn freaking Teamsters Union.
i wonder how those ups drivers in central states feel

browndevil

So I am a rehire and just came back to my old hub a couple weeks ago. I remember clearly in the induction meeting HR asking if I wanted to join the Union and me telling them I did not.

I remember being asked the same thing last year, when I started working their the first time and also turning them down.

Well imagine my surprise when I take a look at my paycheck and see $15 deducted in union dues. What is going on here? Was I added to the union against my knowledge? Am I being scammed? Should I talk with my supervisor about this?

Sorry, if this is a dumb question. UPS is my first job, and I'm not quite sure exactly how I'm supposed to go about this.
Do you not want the benefits the Union bargained for?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I dunno. I'd pay for something I was getting...but that's just me
i understand what your saying but she is not going to need to much union representation if she does not stay long or planning to. She can just quit if it gets to tough

22.34life

$15 a week would not be correct for Dues on a new hire.like others have said if ur in a close shop state u have no choice,in rtw states the company wouldn't be asking u to join the union either.ur story is shaky at best.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The founder of this company wanted unionized hourly employees. He invited the Teamsters in personally. These are union jobs. You pay the union dues. Don't like it? Well then get out!
The Teamsters were invited because they were the Republican, business friendly pussycat union compared to the alternatives, and it was inevitable that workers would organize.

Yolo