Why am I part of the union?

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
I am a big Union fan and proud of it. Without the Union PT would be making 10/hr with no benefits instead of $13/hr and no benefits. Thank you Teamsters.
That is the way it should be.
It is silly that guys get paid 35 bucks an hour to sweep floors and wash cars.
PT employees should have their own Union.
All they do is screw everything up for the FT workers.
All that matters are FT workers.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Here's something funny about that epic $10.30 an hour which I just learned the other day.
Out here they make a big deal about the $10.30 that you get, and how it's much higher than minimum wage because it's a union job.
Turns out - $10.30 IS MINIMUM WAGE for any business that is a federal contractor!!
(It's actually $10.35 so I guess they just screwed us out of $.05 but oh well)

So that's what part-timers got for the last contract with this great union - minimum :censored2:ing wage.
I'm guessing $13 is coming down the pipeline which is why they were forced to ration that out to us.
UPS isn't a Federal Contractor.....so not sure what your point is.

Indecisi0n

So I am a rehire and just came back to my old hub a couple weeks ago. I remember clearly in the induction meeting HR asking if I wanted to join the Union and me telling them I did not.

I remember being asked the same thing last year, when I started working their the first time and also turning them down.

Well imagine my surprise when I take a look at my paycheck and see $15 deducted in union dues. What is going on here? Was I added to the union against my knowledge? Am I being scammed? Should I talk with my supervisor about this?

Sorry, if this is a dumb question. UPS is my first job, and I'm not quite sure exactly how I'm supposed to go about this.
So you don't want to be in the union but you want us union members to help you out? Beat it.

fedx

Extra Large Package
If you don't want to be in a union I suggest you work at Fed Ex. Same job no union.

Depends of the job. If it's a delivery job, it's similar job, but half the pay at FedEx. If it's a loading job, it's same job, more pay at FedEx. Here's what I think. If you are getting union pay then you pay union dues since they negotiated that contract. If you don't want to pay union dues, then you get "non union pay" and they don't take any dues out. So if you're a driver the manager asks if you want to be in the union. If you say yes, then you get the $28/hr or whatever it is. If you say no, then you get the $17/hr starting pay.

One big exception is for the loaders. The union has really done nothing for them, so I wouldn't pay them dues if you're not getting any union benefits. Last I knew, loaders were getting paid less per hour than some kid working at McDonald's after school. And loading is a back breaking job. And I also think I read loaders don't get any medical benefits until being there a year. So really you have no union benefits as a loader. The high paying driver jobs are subsidized by all the low paying loading jobs. All the money UPS saves by not paying loaders a decent wage is then paid out to the drivers at the loaders expense. It's a pyramid scheme really. So if you're only making $10/hr as a loader with no medical till a year, I'd tell the union you ain't joining. Tell them you'll join as soon as you become a driver making $30/hr.

Last edited:

BiggieBrown

You're wrong.
What contracts do we have with the Federal Government?
The minimum wage for Contractors only applies to individuals working directly for Department of the Government.
So you are WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Are you trolling or just dumb?
Deloitte, UPS Join Top 100 Largest Federal Contractors
25 Federal Agencies Contract with UPS and FedEx Instead of USPS
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta...-among-14-companies-sharing-228m-federal.html

Maple Grove MN Driver said:
The minimum wage for Contractors only applies to individuals working directly for Department of the Government.

Wrong again. It applies to employers who have a contract with the government.
Federal Register :: Establishing a Minimum Wage for Contractors, Notice of Rate Change in Effect as of January 1, 2018
"paid BY CONTRACTORS TO WORKERS"

This will be my last post on the matter as I'm not going to keep spoon-feeding you basic information. Like I said, 3 seconds on google.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Are you trolling or just dumb?
Deloitte, UPS Join Top 100 Largest Federal Contractors
25 Federal Agencies Contract with UPS and FedEx Instead of USPS
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta...-among-14-companies-sharing-228m-federal.html

Wrong again. It applies to employers who have a contract with the government.
Federal Register :: Establishing a Minimum Wage for Contractors, Notice of Rate Change in Effect as of January 1, 2018
"paid BY CONTRACTORS TO WORKERS"

This will be my last post on the matter as I'm not going to keep spoon-feeding you basic information. Like I said, 3 seconds on google.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

If the rules applied to UPS the wage would have increased on January 1st 2015.
Which didn't happen.
The Service Contract act is excluded from Executive Order 13658.
If you read anything that you linked you would already know that.
Basically you are still wrong

Last edited:

WRONG WRONG WRONG

Which didn't happen.
Settle down old man....isn't it nap time?

Dr.Brownz

So I am a rehire and just came back to my old hub a couple weeks ago. I remember clearly in the induction meeting HR asking if I wanted to join the Union and me telling them I did not.

I remember being asked the same thing last year, when I started working their the first time and also turning them down.

Well imagine my surprise when I take a look at my paycheck and see $15 deducted in union dues. What is going on here? Was I added to the union against my knowledge? Am I being scammed? Should I talk with my supervisor about this?

Sorry, if this is a dumb question. UPS is my first job, and I'm not quite sure exactly how I'm supposed to go about this.

When UPS fires you for some :censored2: reason don't ask for union help. People like you don't deserve to work in a union job.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

look it up in the dictionary...SCAB

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
gee, now you have me thinking why did I join the union?

I paid off my house in 17 years. My family did not want for anything . I retired at age 58. We have swollen 401k and other retirement funds balances . I have collected about $150,000.00 in pension payments in last 4 years. I have great health insurance and still have my health. If I wanted to work anywhere I would be hired on the spot because of my work history . I'm having a great retirement.

All because of the gosh darn freaking Teamsters Union.

upschuck

WRONG WRONG WRONG

Which didn't happen.
Then why was ups paying the federal contract minimum wage, instead of contractual wage, and raising each year. I'll tell you why, because we are a federal contractor.

I paid off my house in 17 years. My family did not want for anything . I retired at age 58. We have swollen 401k and other retirement funds balances . I have collected about $150,000.00 in pension payments in last 4 years. I have great health insurance and still have my health. If I wanted to work anywhere I would be hired on the spot because of my work history . I'm having a great retirement.

Thank you UPS

Poop Head

Judge me.
Depends of the job. If it's a delivery job, it's similar job, but half the pay at FedEx. If it's a loading job, it's same job, more pay at FedEx. Here's what I think. If you are getting union pay then you pay union dues since they negotiated that contract. If you don't want to pay union dues, then you get "non union pay" and they don't take any dues out. So if you're a driver the manager asks if you want to be in the union. If you say yes, then you get the $28/hr or whatever it is. If you say no, then you get the $17/hr starting pay.

One big exception is for the loaders. The union has really done nothing for them, so I wouldn't pay them dues if you're not getting any union benefits. Last I knew, loaders were getting paid less per hour than some kid working at McDonald's after school. And loading is a back breaking job. And I also think I read loaders don't get any medical benefits until being there a year. So really you have no union benefits as a loader. The high paying driver jobs are subsidized by all the low paying loading jobs. All the money UPS saves by not paying loaders a decent wage is then paid out to the drivers at the loaders expense. It's a pyramid scheme really. So if you're only making $10/hr as a loader with no medical till a year, I'd tell the union you ain't joining. Tell them you'll join as soon as you become a driver making $30/hr.
The founder of this company wanted unionized hourly employees. He invited the Teamsters in personally. These are union jobs. You pay the union dues. Don't like it? Well then get out!

fedx

Extra Large Package
The founder of this company wanted unionized hourly employees. He invited the Teamsters in personally. These are union jobs. You pay the union dues. Don't like it? Well then get out!

Are you joking? I don't know of any company or founder that would encourage a union to come in and take over their business. But I agree, if you are getting union pay and benefits, then you pay union dues since they negotiated the contract. The exception is the $10/hr package handlers that don't get medical benefits for a year. The package handlers don't get any union benefits in regards to pay or benefits, so I wouldn't pay union dues as a result. Once I get union pay and benefits, then I'd pay union dues.

Underallowed306

upload_2019-5-4_3-41-4.gif

What'dyabringmetoday???

That's incredible. It's too bad Dave hated the union so much or you two could start a radio show giving investment advice. (He wouldn't give credit to the union for all those great things happening).