Why are some UPS employees members of two unions? I'm confused!

O

oldupsman

I remember seeing somewhere on the board that the APWA would be sending out cards in Feb. to try and get a vote to remove the Teamsters. Well Feb is half gone. When is this great event going to take place?

brett636

What has the Teamsters proven to us? Do they have a solution to fix our pension and medical problems other than making additional cuts? I guess you would rather stick with a Teamsters union that is failing to represent it's members by cutting our benefits piece by piece. Here is a fact for you to think about. The workforce of the United States that is unionized was 12.5% last year. This year, it was at an all time low of 12%. The percentage of people that are working for unions keep dropping. Why do you think this is happening? You can verify this by going to the U.S. government statistics. The unions are not working for the workingforce any longer. Granted, we need a union to represent us, but we need one that will work for us. The Teamsters do not do this anymore. This is why we need our own union to represent UPS people only, whether it is the APWA or another enterprise. What do you know about the IPA (UPS pilots union)? Why do you think they broke away from the Teamsters and formed their own union?

What does the percentage of unionized workers in the workforce have anything to do with this? Please tell me you have a better reasoning skills than that.

The pilots formed their own union because of how specialized their jobs are. They require years of training and experience just to get hired. Its hard to get a union that represents mostly truck drivers to fully understand the needs of a group of aircraft pilots.

Bill

What does the percentage of unionized workers in the workforce have anything to do with this? Please tell me you have a better reasoning skills than that.

The pilots formed their own union because of how specialized their jobs are. They require years of training and experience just to get hired. Its hard to get a union that represents mostly truck drivers to fully understand the needs of a group of aircraft pilots.
It shows that the workforce is fed up with unions. I am sure that the percentage of unionized jobs in this country have dropped further this week after Chrysler just laid off 13,000 workers. Unions, who at one time represented the workingman, now are looking out for themselves.
The UPS pilots formed their own union, because the Teamsters were screwing them financially. Before you make blank statements that you can't back up, try reading about the history of the IPA (UPS pilots union).

Bill

I remember seeing somewhere on the board that the APWA would be sending out cards in Feb. to try and get a vote to remove the Teamsters. Well Feb is half gone. When is this great event going to take place?
Just hang in there a little while longer. It will be happening very soon.

FreightKicker

FreightKicker
Brett636; "but the very reason it will fail is that it has no way to prove itself"

Im glad George Washington didnt have that way of thinking! "God Bless America!"

30andout

I have cards, where can I send one or some to. Send me your address in a private message and I'll get you some.

brett636

Brett636; "but the very reason it will fail is that it has no way to prove itself"

Im glad George Washington didnt have that way of thinking! "God Bless America!"

So you quote an event in history that has no relation to the present and that makes you right? You have already proved in another thread that you are incapable of reading, I think its best you keep your uneducated opinions to yourself.

trickpony1

The UPS pilots formed their own union, because the Teamsters were screwing them financially. Before you make blank statements that you can't back up, try reading about the history of the IPA (UPS pilots union).

Engineer-
I don't know who I am for or against at this point.
Perhaps you could impart knowledge of the transition from Teamsters to IPA because I would be interested in knowing.
I would be interested in knowing if the pilots experienced the inner turmoil, strife, mistrust and fear of straying too far from the Teamster's when their grassroots movement to form a new union began.
I do have questions such as:
Did the forefathers of the IPA have "consultants" such as the supposed "union busting" law firm to lay the ground work?
Has the IPA protected the pilots as well as the Teamster's did?
Did the IPA have two individual "founders" who clearly presented an agenda to the populace thusly exposing themselves to scrutiny and criticism that they are "pocketing" membership fees?
Did the IPA explain that they may not be able to provide for the "old-timers" who are near retirement but new pilots would do well?

Any pilots that went through the transition from teamster's to IPA please feel free to contribute.
Once again, I don't know who I am for or against at this point. I am trying to keep an open mind.

mittam

Feb. 23rd the card signing campaign started in Loisville. In Ohio it will be the 26th for the Dayton area, it's also kicking off in other states this week and there will be many additional announcements made shortly, including the media newspaper and national news shortly! This is the kickoff we have been waiting for.

trickpony1

No one has answered my question regarding the ease with which the pilots seemed to transition from the Teamster's to the IPA.
No one has offered an opinion as to whether the older pilots pension would suffer at retirement time while the new pilots would do well.
I was hoping someone knowledgeable of the transition of the pilots from the Teamsters to the IPA would offer insight but........

sawdusttv

3p,
To answer your question, the card signing to have the NLRB come in and hold a vote began last Friday and this past Monday in different locations around the country. It will be going nation wide in the next few weeks, and it is going very, very, well so far. If you crave more info than you are getting hear, you should put forth the effort to go out to a meeting when the APWA comes to your area and ask the leaders of the APWA for answers to your questions. After all that is what the rest of us that support the APWA did. We didn't sit back and expect someone to hand it to us on a platter. We did the work to find out the answers and you will have to also. That being said!!
Anyone that can not figure out the screwing that they are getting from the IBT, and anyone that would not be willing to do anything at all cost to stop them from stealing any more of our money and future, must be dumb as a bag of hammers. Which would explain why some people refuse to understand why the APWA was created. Furthermore, who knows the companies dirty trick and underhanded ways better than the UPS employees? The APWA IS THE UPS EMPLOYEES!!!!!!

Bill

No one has answered my question regarding the ease with which the pilots seemed to transition from the Teamster's to the IPA.
No one has offered an opinion as to whether the older pilots pension would suffer at retirement time while the new pilots would do well.
I was hoping someone knowledgeable of the transition of the pilots from the Teamsters to the IPA would offer insight but........
I hope these two websites answers some of your questions as to how and why the pilots are better off with a union that represents only themselves. The first one is about the history of the UPS pilots, the second one shows the big pay raise and benefits improvement. Bloomberg Printer-Friendly Page and History of the IPA
I wish some of you people would give me facts instead of just speaking off the top of your head. I verify all my information, I wish you would do the same.

brett636

I hope these two websites answers some of your questions as to how and why the pilots are better off with a union that represents only themselves. The first one is about the history of the UPS pilots, the second one shows the big pay raise and benefits improvement. Bloomberg Printer-Friendly Page and History of the IPA
I wish some of you people would give me facts instead of just speaking off the top of your head. I verify all my information, I wish you would do the same.

Without knowing the full details on the new contract with the IPA, I do know their pension was paying out less than Central states. I remember reading they were getting less than $20k/yr. paid by their pension fund, which is a hell of a paycut considering they were making $200k/yr.

raceanoncr

Well...Eng...you "wish some of you people would give me facts instead of speaking off the top of your head. I verify all my information, I wish you would do the same". You know what? We WISH YOU WOULD DO THE SAME!!!!

I'm STILL looking for PROOF that your Hialeah councilman is accepting a PENSION, as you claimed! You said, "Well, just go to the website and see for yourself". Well, gee whiz, you know what? It don't say nuttin about him accepting a pension!

You said he was corrupt and just go to the website to prove it. Well, you know what? The website DOESN'T prove it!

You claimed he is taking time away from his BA job by attending council meetings. I said, "Well, PROVE it!" You know what? NOTHING!!!!!

I could go on and on in my questions that you have left unanswered but it's useless.

Eng, I understand your fervor for this fiasco called APWA but PUHLEEEESSS don't claim that you give all the facts...because, in my opinion, you don't!

Bill

Without knowing the full details on the new contract with the IPA, I do know their pension was paying out less than Central states. I remember reading they were getting less than $20k/yr. paid by their pension fund, which is a hell of a paycut considering they were making $200k/yr.
I pointed you in the right direction concerning the pilots, but you have read something to the contrary. Perhaps you can do the same and tell me where I can find information on the UPS pilots pension and that they receive only 20k per year. Give me a web site to go to. If you can do this, you should be more than happy to prove me wrong. If you can't, then just shut up because no one is going to believe that the pilots are only receiving 20k per year.

Bill

Well...Eng...you "wish some of you people would give me facts instead of speaking off the top of your head. I verify all my information, I wish you would do the same". You know what? We WISH YOU WOULD DO THE SAME!!!!

I'm STILL looking for PROOF that your Hialeah councilman is accepting a PENSION, as you claimed! You said, "Well, just go to the website and see for yourself". Well, gee whiz, you know what? It don't say nuttin about him accepting a pension!

You said he was corrupt and just go to the website to prove it. Well, you know what? The website DOESN'T prove it!

You claimed he is taking time away from his BA job by attending council meetings. I said, "Well, PROVE it!" You know what? NOTHING!!!!!

I could go on and on in my questions that you have left unanswered but it's useless.

Eng, I understand your fervor for this fiasco called APWA but PUHLEEEESSS don't claim that you give all the facts...because, in my opinion, you don't!
If I wanted your opinion, I would give it to you.
I really don't care about this BA doing another job, but why is it that we have restrictions concerning what we can and can not do until we reach the age of 65?

brett636

I pointed you in the right direction concerning the pilots, but you have read something to the contrary. Perhaps you can do the same and tell me where I can find information on the UPS pilots pension and that they receive only 20k per year. Give me a web site to go to. If you can do this, you should be more than happy to prove me wrong. If you can't, then just shut up because no one is going to believe that the pilots are only receiving 20k per year.

I got that information from a pilot posting on the yahoo UPS stock message forums back during the height of the struggle the IPA was having with UPS. Maybe you need to shutup and check your own facts before you continue to speak of things you cannot comprehend.

raceanoncr

If I wanted your opinion, I would give it to you.
I really don't care about this BA doing another job, but why is it that we have restrictions concerning what we can and can not do until we reach the age of 65?

What a nasty little comment! Gee whiz! You say, "I really don't care about this BA doing another job"? What about the thread you started on 12-28-06? THEN you were REALLY concerned about him! I asked questions about your concerns and got ignored! :confused:1

OK. If this is the way I would get treated by officials or even members of YOUR new organization, then, on this one issue alone, count me OUT! Very reputable! Very willing to gain new members! Very willing to answer ALL our questions! :lol:

Bill

Only a maroon such as yourself can deny the proof that is written in black and white. If you had bothered to go to the website that I have provided, you will see a picture of this business agent and his condensed biography. What more proof do you need that he has a second job working for the city of Hialeah gardens?
One other thing that you might be able to answer for me, because not one person can answer this question. What is the Teamsters offering that has many of you backing them up no matter what they do? What are the benefits of sticking with a union that is constantly making cuts to our medical and pension benefits that UPS is paying more than is needed, but the Teamsters never seem to have enough money?

Bill

I got that information from a pilot posting on the yahoo UPS stock message forums back during the height of the struggle the IPA was having with UPS. Maybe you need to shutup and check your own facts before you continue to speak of things you cannot comprehend.
Where can I find this information? Stop making stupid statements that you can not backup. I have asked you for a website to check on what you read, but you haven't provided it. At least I tell you and everyone else where they can find my information, you do not. Be specific, give me a website or just shut up and go away.