Why are some UPS employees members of two unions? I'm confused!

Bill

Some UPS workers belong to both the Teamsters and the APWA. You obviously want to replace the Teamsters with the APWA, but you are sending mixed signals. Why do you continue to support the Teamsters by paying union dues, when they are no longer in your best interest. While the Teamsters are planning further cuts to the cuts already in place, the APWA is trying to restore your benefits. By continuing to keep funding the Teamsters through union dues, they are using your money to fight the APWA. I understand that in non right-to-work states, you must be a member of the Teamsters, but in the right-to-work states, I can not comprehend supporting an organization (Teamsters) that is fighting a union (APWA) that you support. I suggest that you get out of the Teamsters, take your union dues, and help the APWA win the battle. Without your support, it is not going to happen, and then you will see all your benefits dwindle year after year. The choice is yours; keep supporting the Teamsters and lose your financial security, or support the APWA to achieve an honest union where we all win.

dragracer66

Some UPS workers belong to both the Teamsters and the APWA. You obviously want to replace the Teamsters with the APWA, but you are sending mixed signals. Why do you continue to support the Teamsters by paying union dues, when they are no longer in your best interest. While the Teamsters are planning further cuts to the cuts already in place, the APWA is trying to restore your benefits. By continuing to keep funding the Teamsters through union dues, they are using your money to fight the APWA. I understand that in non right-to-work states, you must be a member of the Teamsters, but in the right-to-work states, I can not comprehend supporting an organization (Teamsters) that is fighting a union (APWA) that you support. I suggest that you get out of the Teamsters, take your union dues, and help the APWA win the battle. Without your support, it is not going to happen, and then you will see all your benefits dwindle year after year. The choice is yours; keep supporting the Teamsters and lose your financial security, or support the APWA to achieve an honest union where we all win.
There is no way to belong to both...When the contract was signed in 2002 only teamsters and machinists signed it, I was there I don't remember any apwa representive's being there!! Why would you come on here and write something stupid like that??? If you support the apwa good for you, good luck trying to convince half of the 390,000 plus members. Anybody who know's anything about the unions know's nothing can happen until the current agreement expire's on 7/31/2008!!!! And why not show some fact's on how the apwa is better. Some people on here feel the same way you do, but they can never deliver any proof? Who right now do they represent? And don't tell me to go to there website anybody can make a fancy website and promise the world. Give us some fact's on here!!!

Fredless

APWA Hater
They accuse the IBT of spewing propoganda, which is a correct accusation. However, it is like the pot calling the kettle black. All the APWA cheerleaders do is get on here and just spew that stuff like crazy.

Come on guys, get professional with it at least - send me magazines about oraganizing a 7 member police force and then neglect to mention that huge decertification you just received and brag about APWA power!:lol:

dragracer66

They accuse the IBT of spewing propoganda, which is a correct accusation. However, it is like the pot calling the kettle black. All the APWA cheerleaders do is get on here and just spew that stuff like crazy.

Come on guys, get professional with it at least - send me magazines about oraganizing a 7 member police force and then neglect to mention that huge decertification you just received and brag about APWA power!:lol:
:thumbup1: :lol: :lol:

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Dragracer isn`t under are regime so he is happy to belong to the pension fund thats around 124% funded. I would be happy too but thats not the case. Anybody thats not affected would be happy with the teamsters ! But the crooks ain`t treating the south right. Here is where the whole problem has blossomed is when you treat others right and then some wrong ! Hoffa is spewing unity but that is so far from the case. No say so in the south that is why APWA has its grass roots and then some. Hoffa locked it up as all or nothing so will see what takes place. If the south could break away from the clowns we would have done it long time ago !

Gman24

There is no way to belong to both...When the contract was signed in 2002 only teamsters and machinists signed it, I was there I don't remember any apwa representive's being there!! Why would you come on here and write something stupid like that??? If you support the apwa good for you, good luck trying to convince half of the 390,000 plus members. Anybody who know's anything about the unions know's nothing can happen until the current agreement expire's on 7/31/2008!!!! And why not show some fact's on how the apwa is better. Some people on here feel the same way you do, but they can never deliver any proof? Who right now do they represent? And don't tell me to go to there website anybody can make a fancy website and promise the world. Give us some fact's on here!!!

You are only partially correct. In fact, a decertification vote can and will occur sometime in the next few months. We only need 30% of the cards for that vote to be turned in with a yes vote. The next step will be a more difficult task, but every week the APWA is gaining ground and territory that the TEAMSTERS once held on thier on. We need 50% + 1 in favor of replaceing the TEAMSTERS. Im not stupid, I DO KNOW that is a difficult task, but as I said it is acheiveable.

You are right in that NOTHING can change with the current contract untill 7/31/08. Except for the fact that the APWA will be enforcing it when and if the TEAMSTERS are voted out, and then the APWA will negotiate the contract after this one.

3peaks

wicked GT05

thanks engineer. I'm still clueless about APWA and I have read the other post's from you and went to the
APWA and it looks like they dont really know much more than you do. it seem's you only log on hear to bad mouth the teamsters and promote the APWA....I will admit I dont follow the company politics that much....but do like choices....however in the first five minutes reading their promises i saw way to many flaws... in that plan...to even make me want to have the APWA be one of my choices.....:confused:1

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Hey, Goose! This is a subject I WILL fight you on. Teamsters HAVE a proven track record and a history. I'd trust the Teamsters before APWA, particularly having seen their site! Pitiful!!!! Anything you wanna say to defend APWA? -Rocky

dragracer66

Dragracer isn`t under are regime so he is happy to belong to the pension fund thats around 124% funded. I would be happy too but thats not the case. Anybody thats not affected would be happy with the teamsters ! But the crooks ain`t treating the south right. Here is where the whole problem has blossomed is when you treat others right and then some wrong ! Hoffa is spewing unity but that is so far from the case. No say so in the south that is why APWA has its grass roots and then some. Hoffa locked it up as all or nothing so will see what takes place. If the south could break away from the clowns we would have done it long time ago !
Hey goose your right I'm not in your regime ,but I have alot of friend's who are feeder and package driver's so I do hear alot from them and being a steward they do still ask me question's about different thing's since our contract's do mirror each other. Remember the south voted in who they have in place down there so they can't be pissed off about who is in charge down there!!! And all I wanted to see from any of you apwa supporter's is any fact's on how the apwa is better. Who do they represent now and what is there background?? Nobody on here has ever done that, show us the proof

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Hey, Goose! This is a subject I WILL fight you on. Teamsters HAVE a proven track record and a history. I'd trust the Teamsters before APWA, particularly having seen their site! Pitiful!!!! Anything you wanna say to defend APWA? -Rocky
Rocky your already seeing what the teamsters can do for you ! Reducing the benefits all around and their not done - trust me - Your right about the track record of APWA not having one but 100% of moneys will go to ups employees and thats one thing you can`t say for the teamsters ! I want someone over looking for me as apposed to taking care of themselves - those are facts you can not deny. As for representation and negotiations it can`t have a lesser track record than the lacky`s at the teamsters have done for us in the last two contracts ? Yes the money is good but the security of benefits is what everybody is concerned about !!!!! Rocky your in the western and Dragracer are in the IAM union so you aren`t experiencing what we are yet. Like i always said if we were treated as an equal i wouldn`t even be here !!!!!!!!!!! Hey Rocky is this what track record you stand for ? Non equality ? Because that is where it is now !!!

Bill

There is no way to belong to both...When the contract was signed in 2002 only teamsters and machinists signed it, I was there I don't remember any apwa representive's being there!! Why would you come on here and write something stupid like that??? If you support the apwa good for you, good luck trying to convince half of the 390,000 plus members. Anybody who know's anything about the unions know's nothing can happen until the current agreement expire's on 7/31/2008!!!! And why not show some fact's on how the apwa is better. Some people on here feel the same way you do, but they can never deliver any proof? Who right now do they represent? And don't tell me to go to there website anybody can make a fancy website and promise the world. Give us some fact's on here!!![/quote
Let's assume all things being equal, the Teamsters or the APWA receive the same amount of money from UPS for the pension and medical benefits. The Teamsters are under an obligation to make payments to employees or retirees that have never worked for UPS. The APWA is not under these same obligations. While 60% of our money goes toward meeting these obligations under the Teamster rules, we receive only 40% of what we should be receiving. Since the APWA is set up to represent only UPS people, we are receving all the UPS money, therefore, it stands to reason that receive more than double what the Teamsters are offering us in the way of a pension. What don't you understand about this logic?
As far as being in two unions, you are somewhat correct. As of now, we have the Teamsters representing us, and only one union at a time can do this. All I am saying is that while we are paying unions dues to the Teamsters union, a number of us have paid the APWA member ship fees in hopes that it will replace the Teamsters. Why support the Teamsters by paying union dues that they will use against you when they fight the APWA for the right to represent us? It is better to give that money to the APWA so that we have a chance win the election when the time comes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill

I checked out your profile. You are a part time driver/clerk. Your benefits are paid for by the company. You are only 22 and too young to know what is really happening with the Teamsters and how they are screwing with our pensions and medical benefits. You are not looking down the road 30 years, because if you did, you will see that your pension will be severely cut.

Bill

thanks engineer. I'm still clueless about APWA and I have read the other post's from you and went to the
APWA and it looks like they dont really know much more than you do. it seem's you only log on hear to bad mouth the teamsters and promote the APWA....I will admit I dont follow the company politics that much....but do like choices....however in the first five minutes reading their promises i saw way to many flaws... in that plan...to even make me want to have the APWA be one of my choices.....:confused:1
You haven't mentioned any specific flaws that you see. Please elaborate on this so that I can educate you and verify my data.

Bill

What proven track record do the Teamsters have? Yes, they have proven that they can cut your pension and medical benefits, they have proven that they negotiate a contract favorable to themselves to maximize their cash flow. They have a history of scandals, nepotism, kickbacks, etc... Should I continue!!!!

dragracer66

]
Show us the proof of all this. You still haven't aswered my question,who do they represent now? NOBODY that's who they have no proven track record. You think you have pension problem's now? Go ahead and give them your money, And if you are paying a membership fee to the apwa you are nut's!!! They don't even represent you now and they are taking your money!!!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Rocky your already seeing what the teamsters can do for you ! Reducing the benefits all around and their not done - trust me - Your right about the track record of APWA not having one but 100% of moneys will go to ups employees and thats one thing you can`t say for the teamsters ! I want someone over looking for me as apposed to taking care of themselves - those are facts you can not deny. As for representation and negotiations it can`t have a lesser track record than the lacky`s at the teamsters have done for us in the last two contracts ? Yes the money is good but the security of benefits is what everybody is concerned about !!!!! Rocky your in the western and Dragracer are in the IAM union so you aren`t experiencing what we are yet. Like i always said if we were treated as an equal i wouldn`t even be here !!!!!!!!!!! Hey Rocky is this what track record you stand for ? Non equality ? Because that is where it is now !!!

No, Goose, I think Denver is Central States, for one. Security of benefits...if you're talking about health benefits for retirees, I'm on the fence there. I keep hearing about these companies dumping their retirees health benefits all together. From what you're saying, it sounds like UPS/Teamsters are reducing them. As I've said before, the retirement situation...I'D PUT YOU ON YOUR OWN!!!!! You can't expect the company/union/government to fund your retirement for you. This isn't Europe with the entitlement system, pal. That system makes me sick: get X just because you are ENTITLED to it?? I THINK NOT!!!! That's what I call freeloading.

Somebody above mentioned something about the South voting in who was in charge of their affairs. Sorry Goose, but you gotta take the good with the bad.

The Teamsters are marginally predictable as they're a known quantity. The APWA is an unknown quantity as it is very new. I'd take the Teamsters over the APWA based on that. I don't trust the APWA based on what I've seen here and read on their site. Time will tell if I was right or wrong. I have a very good "gut instinct" and the APWA is sounding alarms for me. -Rocky

Raw

Raw Member
What proven track record do the Teamsters have? Yes, they have proven that they can cut your pension and medical benefits, they have proven that they negotiate a contract favorable to themselves to maximize their cash flow. They have a history of scandals, nepotism, kickbacks, etc... Should I continue!!!!
Track icon durable? Wence world Hillary! Shoes does Local. Amen

3peaks

wicked GT05
You haven't mentioned any specific flaws that you see. Please elaborate on this so that I can educate you and verify my data.
DETAILS.....where are the details... all i see is the APWA bad mouthing the teamsters....I hear the same stuff every day from my fellow co-workers...So who are the members?...all i see so far is two retired feeder drivers and a lawyer. i went to the "goals" section and again just bad mouthin the teamsters, but dosnt say excatly how they plan to accomplish their goal's...i went to the "part time" section and they say you can get a full time position faster because thay are offering the full time guys retirement after 20 years ...but then you go to the "full time" section and they are offering the full time guys such a great plan to stay on an extra 5,10,15 years longer.. so if their body's can last a few years longer..it seem's the part time guy's are al ready getting "screwed"....next who is funding this project i'm assuming that it must cost a small fortune to take on the teamster's...so is it based on the hundred and fifty from membership..if so how many of my fellow co-workers have already mailed in the 150...have you?? what about the future? how do I know that all these promises will still be in affect when I'm ready to retire in thirty years..
engineer79 let's just start with these simple to answer question's..please answer with details... not just a pipe dream and a promise...

wyobill

No, Goose, I think Denver is Central States, for one. Security of benefits...if you're talking about health benefits for retirees, I'm on the fence there. I keep hearing about these companies dumping their retirees health benefits all together. From what you're saying, it sounds like UPS/Teamsters are reducing them. As I've said before, the retirement situation...I'D PUT YOU ON YOUR OWN!!!!! You can't expect the company/union/government to fund your retirement for you. This isn't Europe with the entitlement system, pal. That system makes me sick: get X just because you are ENTITLED to it?? I THINK NOT!!!! That's what I call freeloading.

Somebody above mentioned something about the South voting in who was in charge of their affairs. Sorry Goose, but you gotta take the good with the bad.

The Teamsters are marginally predictable as they're a known quantity. The APWA is an unknown quantity as it is very new. I'd take the Teamsters over the APWA based on that. I don't trust the APWA based on what I've seen here and read on their site. Time will tell if I was right or wrong. I have a very good "gut instinct" and the APWA is sounding alarms for me. -Rocky
Too all you Teamster/ Central States Supporters Ill LMAO
when your pensions are cut in half. Keep on paying your dues
and support more pension cuts. The Teasmsters had no intention of ever addressing the funding problem. There were told to do something or else! When the Goverment takes ahold
of Central States the fur will fly then.
When UPS tries to take control of the pension next contract
How many of you out there will follow the Teamsters in another strike? How many of you out there will continue to slit your own throats by siding with the Union to keep your own pension in a severly underfunded pension?

mittam

DETAILS.....where are the details... all i see is the APWA bad mouthing the teamsters....I hear the same stuff every day from my fellow co-workers...So who are the members?...all i see so far is two retired feeder drivers and a lawyer. i went to the "goals" section and again just bad mouthin the teamsters, but dosnt say excatly how they plan to accomplish their goal's...i went to the "part time" section and they say you can get a full time position faster because thay are offering the full time guys retirement after 20 years ...but then you go to the "full time" section and they are offering the full time guys such a great plan to stay on an extra 5,10,15 years longer.. so if their body's can last a few years longer..it seem's the part time guy's are al ready getting "screwed"....next who is funding this project i'm assuming that it must cost a small fortune to take on the teamster's...so is it based on the hundred and fifty from membership..if so how many of my fellow co-workers have already mailed in the 150...have you?? what about the future? how do I know that all these promises will still be in affect when I'm ready to retire in thirty years..
engineer79 let's just start with these simple to answer question's..please answer with details... not just a pipe dream and a promise...

Where are you from? There are meetings scheduled by the APWA across the country for the next several months. Try attending one and get your questions answered. As far as the original question there are right to work states and non-right to work states. I'm in Ohio and it is non right to work, I can only "with draw" as an objector to the polictical view of the ibt. In right to work states you can stop paying all together any dues. As for me here in Ohio I have to pay a core fee for representation and other little needless things. Actually representation isn't needless just some of the other quirks. Stil paying for strike fund even though I cannot get pay if there is a strike. Of course ibt says there is no part of the dues that is strike fund. That is straight from the ibt.So dues went up $12.00 a month in 1997 for strike pay but they say there is no strike fund being paid through your dues, if anyone that says there is then please show me the article or where it is located saying there is a strike fund and it is paid for through our union dues.