Why do dog owners think their don't "WON'T BITE YOU"????

oldngray

nowhere special
My sister had a greyhound that was retired from racing she rescued. Yeah, it just laid there most of the time unless you had food.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
1. I'm willing to bet that dog was still intact. Aggression in male dogs is very rare once their owners have done the right thing and had them neutered.

2. I love dogs, especially bully breeds and mastiffs, but if I ever had one that bit a child in the face I would take it out into the back yard and shoot it. Immediately. Done, end of story, do not pass go, do not collect $200. What you are describing here is a case of grossly irresponsible pet ownership. I feel bad for the dog that its owners are doing such a piss poor job of raising it. Happy dogs dont act that way.

I had to do that with one dog. I knew how the dog was when I got it and it had been badly abused. I was hoping that I could 'save' it. It was a great watch dog but it snapped at one of my babies and that was the only time it did it. I wouldn't take him to the pound. I put him down myself.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Re: Why do dog owners think their don't "WON'T BITE YOU"????

Heelers are a nuisance, but they generally only nip at you because of their herding instincts. The two breeds I distrust the most are German Shepherds and Chows. They are big dogs and I have a hard time reading their body language, and Chows in particular tend to not be very people friendly. Pitbulls, rotties and dobies are all big and can be intimidating, but I can read their body language like a book and tell just by looking whether or not they are going to be a problem.

I agree with you on the Chow. Don't like em, don't trust em.

didyousheetit

years ago when we were still on paper and had to get signatures for fingerhut packages. It was summer I could see the old guy in his garden through the house. I went to the side gate went through, looked to my left and coming at me was a toy poodle, I bent down put the clipboard by my ankles. Never heard the german shepard until he was in air. I was taking karate at the time and did an arm block just in time. That old man came and beat that dog bad. It left a scar and I was bleeding pretty bad, but I didn't sue, I figured I came in his yard (dogs) and he was doing what he was supposed to do

didyousheetit

alot of customers on my new route say the old driver used give bisquits. I tell them I don't have bisquits but I do have pepper spray!

STFXG

doglion.jpg

Be afraid of baby lions...
doglion.jpg

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Had a house I delivered to several times and never saw a dog there. One day I pull up and there is a huge beautiful German Shepherd that I could tell would bite me if I got out of my truck. No one at home so I put the package in a DR bag and tie it to an old mailbox that ison their circular drive. Their new mailbox was out on the road. Just so happens that the very next day I have another pkg for them. As I pull up the woman comes out to my truck with the dog right behind her going nuts again. I explain that I hope she got the pkg from yesterday but that the dog was not going to let me out of my truck w/o me getting bit. Of course she tells me the dog is all bark and no bite. Uh huh............ right. I open the bulkhead door and get her pkg out. The next thing I know, the dog is in my cab and has bitten me around my knee and ripped my pants leg all the way to my shoe. I am bleeding like a stuck hog and all the woman can do is say that she can't believe the dog bit me.

Just a little info I have gleaned from the interwebs. Out here in the rural areas I deliver to, people think that posting a "BEWARE OF DOG" sign protects them from a lawsuit. In New York there was a law suit involving a postman that was bitten in someones fenced front yard that was posted with a "BEWARE OF DOG" sign. The postman sued and was awarded money. Even though a sign was posted, the mailbox was on the front porch that the postman had to get to. It would also apply to UPS trying to leave a pkg or a meter reader trying to read a meter etc.... The only way that sign will protect the homeowner is if the dog is in a fenced area that no one would have any business entering. People leave their dogs running loose and think they are protected just because they have a sign posted??? Lots of ignorant people out there folks.