Why do we have to wait....

Bratty Brown

We Want Beer
Here's a text from my business agent.
"Attention Local 396 UPSers, a Settlement in Principle has been reached on the UPS/Teamsters National Master Contract. The UPS/Teamsters Western Region Supplement and the UPS/Teamsters Southwest Package and Sort Rider remain open. Local 396 negotiations regarding the Western Region Supplement will take place on July 9 and 10 and July 16 and 17. Local 396 will be in negotiations regarding the Southwest Package and Sort Rider on July 11, 12, 13, 18, 19, and 20. Local 396 will also be in negotiations during that time for the Local 396 Addendum.
We appreciate your patience while Local 396 finishes negotiations on the Western Region Supplement and the UPS/Teamsters Southwest Package and Sort Rider. Please be aware that there will be outside anti union groups recommending a no vote on the UPS contract without seeing the terms of the final contract. Thank you for giving your Union Negotiation Committee the support that we need to complete all negotiations before you decide how you vote on the final contract. Once all the contracts have been negotiated, we will schedule meetings with all our UPS members and explain contract improvements. Thank you for your support throughout the negotiating process."
Ron H
Definitely different from last contract. Kind of a late date to get to see and review AND ORGANIZE before we have to vote.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
"Attention Local 396 UPSers, a Settlement in Principle has been reached on the UPS/Teamsters National Master Contract. The UPS/Teamsters Western Region Supplement and the UPS/Teamsters Southwest Package and Sort Rider remain open. Local 396 negotiations regarding the Western Region Supplement will take place on July 9 and 10 and July 16 and 17. Local 396 will be in negotiations regarding the Southwest Package and Sort Rider on July 11, 12, 13, 18, 19, and 20. Local 396 will also be in negotiations during that time for the Local 396 Addendum.
We appreciate your patience while Local 396 finishes negotiations on the Western Region Supplement and the UPS/Teamsters Southwest Package and Sort Rider. Please be aware that there will be outside anti union groups recommending a no vote on the UPS contract without seeing the terms of the final contract. Thank you for giving your Union Negotiation Committee the support that we need to complete all negotiations before you decide how you vote on the final contract. Once all the contracts have been negotiated, we will schedule meetings with all our UPS members and explain contract improvements. Thank you for your support throughout the negotiating process."
Ron H
Definitely different from last contract. Kind of a late date to get to see and review AND ORGANIZE before we have to vote.
A lot of words to say pretty much nothing?
Thanks Ron H....

I'm curious as to who the "outside anti-union groups" are???

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I keep seeing people on here talking about contract language as if they've seen new information, every time I ask for a source I get no response. I have tried to keep my criticisms limited to the information given. My question is, how can the regions and locals properly conduct their negotiations without the proposed NMA language? Seems like a lot of time could be wasted negotiating points in the supplementals and riders when the NMA could have language that overrides them.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I keep seeing people on here talking about contract language as if they've seen new information, every time I ask for a source I get no response. I have tried to keep my criticisms limited to the information given. My question is, how can the regions and locals properly conduct their negotiations without the proposed NMA language? Seems like a lot of time could be wasted negotiating points in the supplementals and riders when the NMA could have language that overrides them.

I believe that the regional supplements were put into place to fill language not covered in the master. For example Article 34 Master, the weekly monetary contributions that should be going into Pension and Health and Welfare benefits, each region has their own. Some are defined like the IBT/UPS in the Central, others are contribution plans where the monetary contributions actually go into the pension plans to provide a benefit. The defined plans only have to pay usually at the end of the year an amount to just cover the negotiated coverage. That is the reason that the company wanted out of the Central States fiasco, a great money saver if they are not required to monetary contribute weekly a fixed amount. Like you I still can not figure out why Master does not override inferior Supplement language. I can see the possibility that the committees are using this handshake agreement to correct some major flaws with most of the supplemental agreements. I am guessing it has to do with Pension and Health and Welfare benefits, since the General Wage Increases are contained with the Master. It sure better be good...

The raises and the starting rate is subpar, like most are saying they are keeping up with inflation and minimum wages. We will still see the turnover with our new hires, no improvements in that area. The Hybrid Driving positions will help provide more full time positions, but with what cost. Unless there is protective language, it will be abused to eliminate the higher paying driving ones, you can put money on that.

That leaves the monetary increases into the everybody's Pension and Health and Welfare packages, which currently we have no information about. We are working off the committee's claim that there be major improvements. If they are being truthful, at least in my building about 20 percent of our Feeder Drivers will exit, thus providing a ton of job openings. These positions will be more than likely be filled with younger members who will be contributing into our Pensions, helping to improve the underfunding in some of them. The future retirement benefit for these new members will be considerable, just look at the West Conference's pension and it's growth, far better than Central and better funded than most of the East.

I for one will be eagerly waiting for the language of every supplement. This contract will only be ratified if all of us benefit, not the selected few. If it is the same old, same old this contract will never get backed by the rank and file no matter how much spin is applied. If it is voted down then back to the table again with the strike vote in the back pocket of the Union if needed, which really nobody wants to use, ouch, ouch and ouch for the Company, Union and Rank and File. It would be just plain stupid to kill the golden goose to save a few cents here and there or save face.

Inthegame

For example Article 34 Master, the weekly monetary contributions that should be going into Pension and Health and Welfare benefits, each region has their own. Some are defined like the IBT/UPS in the Central, others are contribution plans where the monetary contributions actually go into the pension plans to provide a benefit. The defined plans only have to pay usually at the end of the year an amount to just cover the negotiated coverage. That is the reason that the company wanted out of the Central States fiasco, a great money saver if they are not required to monetary contribute weekly a fixed amount.
Negotiated contributions are paid into pension plans either on a weekly or hourly basis.
UPS wanted out of CS because of the structured "last man standing obligations for orphans" responsibility of that plan.
If they are being truthful, at least in my building about 20 percent of our Feeder Drivers will exit, thus providing a ton of job openings. These positions will be more than likely be filled with younger members who will be contributing into our Pensions, helping to improve the underfunding in some of them.
If 20% of Feeder drivers retire and those positions are filled on a one to one basis, the hourly or weekly funding is exactly the same as if no one retired. However, the plans are now paying monthly benefits to those 20%.

RolloTony Brown Town

If there is, some will find it and put it on here.
Well if there Is there a list of the National Negotiating Committee... I think union members should know who is on it...for voting reasons of course....if this contract is ends up sucking after all is said and done.

Check the back of your contract book. There’s a list of whose on the national negotiating committee and on your supplement’s negotiating committee.

F

Frankie's Friend

Check the back of your contract book. There’s a list of whose on the national negotiating committee and on your supplement’s negotiating committee.
That list changes. It's 5 yrs old. Same with supplements and riders. Some of them retire or get voted out by the time the next cba is due for negotiating.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Pretty sure it works the other way around, aside from Article 40?

Unless they've changed things. Maybe that's not as likely, I don't know. Also, if there is language the regions would want to counter or adjust, how would they know to without seeing the master? Or do the negotiating teams get that information while the rest of us stew?

Last edited:

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Negotiated contributions are paid into pension plans either on a weekly or hourly basis.
UPS wanted out of CS because of the structured "last man standing obligations for orphans" responsibility of that plan.
If 20% of Feeder drivers retire and those positions are filled on a one to one basis, the hourly or weekly funding is exactly the same as if no one retired. However, the plans are now paying monthly benefits to those 20%.

All true..They did want out of the Central because of the liability issues involved with it's underfunding and possible collapse. They are still pissed off that they have to cover it's union employees who retired after 2007, really they never got out of being responsible for the failures of Central.

The newer less seniority members who could fill those feeder positions will be contributing far more weekly into the mostly run teamster's plans. It is a matter of returns much like your 401K, the newer drivers if they start off the street will be working 30 plus years before they would be eligible to collect.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Ron H
I can assure you that didn’t come out of the communication and Propaganda Dept of Strike Bunker inc....