Why does the pay for part-timers suck so much?

km3

The drivers get amazing wages but the part-timers get squat for the work we do. $10 an hour? To load up trucks in that heat/cold? How far does $10 an hour get you these days?
I mean I get it, people who make more than us want to keep up down because it means they have more money both relatively and absolutely. Why work us for $15, when prices will just inflate and reduce the real value of your $30? Better to keep us as a slave underclass who keeps the value of your $30 floating nice and high right?
I'm not saying every newbie that walks in on the street deserves the whole farm, but can we get bumped up a little or what? Jesus Christ

Looks to me like you have one of the easier jobs at UPS. Let people who actually work complain about the wages.

old levi's

blank space
The drivers get amazing wages but the part-timers get squat for the work we do. $10 an hour? To load up trucks in that heat/cold? How far does $10 an hour get you these days?
I mean I get it, people who make more than us want to keep up down because it means they have more money both relatively and absolutely. Why work us for $15, when prices will just inflate and reduce the real value of your $30? Better to keep us as a slave underclass who keeps the value of your $30 floating nice and high right?
I'm not saying every newbie that walks in on the street deserves the whole farm, but can we get bumped up a little or what? Jesus Christ

Are you employed here for the lousy pay, or do you plan to drive one day?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Quit now!
You should be grateful they pay you that much.
Looks to me like you have one of the easier jobs at UPS. Let people who actually work complain about the wages.
Stay if you want.
Maximize hours. Maximize benefits.
Help others around you and help yourself to a load stand, handcart, coworkers, 1 package at a time. Don't give a single square inch of your body away for this company. Especially not while people earn investment dividends from the comfort of their couch.

UrFellowUpser

Glad i was only part-time for 8 months. I still dont know how i even won a bid with so many higher seniority guys that was working the belt. Seems like most dont want this job. And after the day i had i dont blame them

Last edited:

UrFellowUpser

Also when i was a baggage handler for Greyhound we aint get paid jack starting pay was like 8.75 an hr. And after working there 8yrs i only got up to 10.95 .The greyhound drivers got paid like 23 an hr tops. It depends on the job that you do.

Gman33909

Tell your fellow part timers to VOTE

I always encourage all the part-timers around me to vote. After 18 years of being part time, it is finally paying off, around $25/hr and 20+ hours of overtime a week, I'd take a pay cut to go full time (at least for the first 3-4 years).

40 and out

Your pay sucks because of a two-tier part time wage beginning in 1982. The hybrid driver scheme is this contract's full time version. So years from now someone will start a thread "Why does my driver pay suck so much?".

browndevil

Because we've been selling out the part timers for over 30 years!

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
True. It's great for people who want to stay part time.

Thing is, most around here never get to top rate as an air driver. It's just a stop on the way to FT driver. Something to think about with the newest second class 22.4 position.

Just another way for the company to put off top rate even longer than the crappy 4 year progression.

New contract sees PT progression eliminated though, I just saw.

Any current PT employee should be voting NO to this contract.

jagger john

thats why we will vote nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

wayfair

swollen member
I always encourage all the part-timers around me to vote. After 18 years of being part time, it is finally paying off, around $25/hr and 20+ hours of overtime a week, I'd take a pay cut to go full time (at least for the first 3-4 years).

You're only problem is your "vested Years".

18 years of pt work compared to 18 of ft... HUUUUUGe difference