Why does the pay for part-timers suck so much?

theGOODMAN

The drivers get amazing wages but the part-timers get squat for the work we do. $10 an hour? To load up trucks in that heat/cold? How far does $10 an hour get you these days?
I mean I get it, people who make more than us want to keep up down because it means they have more money both relatively and absolutely. Why work us for $15, when prices will just inflate and reduce the real value of your $30? Better to keep us as a slave underclass who keeps the value of your $30 floating nice and high right?
I'm not saying every newbie that walks in on the street deserves the whole farm, but can we get bumped up a little or what? Jesus Christ

explained in the first 15 seconds. by limiting the opportunities of other workers.

Slug Life

When do we eat?
The drivers get amazing wages but the part-timers get squat for the work we do. $10 an hour? To load up trucks in that heat/cold? How far does $10 an hour get you these days?
I mean I get it, people who make more than us want to keep up down because it means they have more money both relatively and absolutely. Why work us for $15, when prices will just inflate and reduce the real value of your $30? Better to keep us as a slave underclass who keeps the value of your $30 floating nice and high right?
I'm not saying every newbie that walks in on the street deserves the whole farm, but can we get bumped up a little or what? Jesus Christ
I don’t know about you. However when I started out on Pre-load it was with the mindset of becoming a driver.
I didn’t care about the health care. I wanted to make more money than I had ever made prior.
Whole reason I went to UPS was talking to my UPS guy from previous job. Once he told me what he was pulling I soon fell for Big Brown.
However only working part-time one could only expect to make so much right?
With that said at the most recent contract proposals I made alot of pitches for part-timers. Not only starting wages but also rights to bid their load spots. Granted I’m in a smaller hub with about 15 pre-loaders and 6 local sorters.

SanguiniusII

They don't expect the new PT's to last the first month so they don't pay that high. Also majority of PT jobs are extremely simplistic and easy in comparison to every other job in the hub

AwashBwashCwash

They don't expect the new PT's to last the first month so they don't pay that high. Also majority of PT jobs are extremely simplistic and easy in comparison to every other job in the hub

So then give a healthy raise when a part-timer makes it past probation.
And I don't want to hear :censored2: about part-timer jobs being "extremely easy." Get your ass in the trailer and say that. My back hurts every :censored2:ing day, it's very strenuous labor, and the work conditions suck. I've had :censored2: fall on my head, stuff fall onto my knees off the belt, I've slipped and tripped over things, I've seen guys pass out from the heat. $10 an hour for the labor they are asking is robbery. It's always the same attitude "Well you're part-time, so eat :censored2: and die haha."
Is it simple? Sure. Is it easy? No. Especially when you are constantly understaffed because most guys are smart enough to not do this crap for poverty wages.
News flash, what the drivers do aint rocket science either. And I'm not even saying we should make as much as drivers. Drivers SHOULD make more than us. They work more hours, their job entails more responsibility, and they are the face of UPS. But the current wage gap between us and them right now is outrageous.
When people find out I work at UPS and I tell them what I make, they are usually shocked and say something along the lines of "Wow I always thought that was supposed to be a good job??"

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
did you quit

Go driving?

Loading and unloading in the heat and cold? Sounds scary! Try delivering in it for 10-11 hours a day. I pulled off 2 misloads this morning, one a next day air. Keep the misloads down, then let's talk about that raise!!

Slug Life

When do we eat?
And I don't want to hear :censored2: about part-timer jobs being "extremely easy." Get your ass in the trailer and say that. My back hurts every :censored2:ing day, it's very strenuous labor, and the work conditions suck. I've had :censored2: fall on my head, stuff fall onto my knees off the belt, I've slipped and tripped over things, I've seen guys pass out from the heat. $10 an hour for the labor they are asking is robbery. It's always the same attitude "Well you're part-time, so eat :censored2: and die haha."
Is it simple? Sure. Is it easy? No. Especially when you are constantly understaffed because most guys are smart enough to not do this crap for poverty wages.
News flash, what the drivers do aint rocket science either. And I'm not even saying we should make as much as drivers. Drivers SHOULD make more than us. They work more hours, their job entails more responsibility, and they are the face of UPS. But the current wage gap between us and them right now is outrageous.
When people find out I work at UPS and I tell them what I make, they are usually shocked and say something along the lines of "Wow I always thought that was supposed to be a good job??"
Dude if you are tripping over stuff and having crap fall on your head. You may wanna start going to your safety meetings.
As a Safety Co-Chair I could give you some safe methods work tips. Also work at a safe pace is the key phrase my friend.
If that back starts hurting you are either doing it wrong or overdoing it. Only you can be the judge of that.
Like the old timers always told me work smarter not harder. Over

Pooter

The PT rate should increase more. It’s a joke for the work they do. My truck load is horrible but I can’t expect someone to give a sh:t when the rate is so low. Work Pride only goes so far.

But also, PT is a stepping stone to Full time. You can’t expect to live off PT wages. That’s not what part time is meant for.

I did preload for 10 years and always had a full time job elsewhere till my chance to drive.