Why does the pay for part-timers suck so much?

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
So then give a healthy raise when a part-timer makes it past probation.
And I don't want to hear :censored2: about part-timer jobs being "extremely easy." Get your ass in the trailer and say that. My back hurts every :censored2:ing day, it's very strenuous labor, and the work conditions suck. I've had :censored2: fall on my head, stuff fall onto my knees off the belt, I've slipped and tripped over things, I've seen guys pass out from the heat. $10 an hour for the labor they are asking is robbery. It's always the same attitude "Well you're part-time, so eat :censored2: and die haha."
Is it simple? Sure. Is it easy? No. Especially when you are constantly understaffed because most guys are smart enough to not do this crap for poverty wages.
News flash, what the drivers do aint rocket science either. And I'm not even saying we should make as much as drivers. Drivers SHOULD make more than us. They work more hours, their job entails more responsibility, and they are the face of UPS. But the current wage gap between us and them right now is outrageous.
When people find out I work at UPS and I tell them what I make, they are usually shocked and say something along the lines of "Wow I always thought that was supposed to be a good job??"
I lost 30 pounds from the time I started to 6 months in. Only good thing that had come from doing preload. Shirt and shorts soaked like I had just jumped in the pool.

Bob11B

Preloding was the worse, I just don’t understand how/why people are part time for years....my intention from day one was to go full-time driving, which I am. So, I never really bitched about the :censored2:ty pay but viewed it as an investment. I was military before and preload was like being a private in the Army....for all the part-timers complaining...I would suggest go elsewhere or go full-time.

WTFm8

I lost 30 pounds from the time I started to 6 months in. Only good thing that had come from doing preload. Shirt and shorts soaked like I had just jumped in the pool.

I've lost 40 in 9 months between unloading for local and ~5 months of cover driver.

It's hot in the trailers at 5:30 when we start. No fans blowing in them for any kind of circulation like past warehouse jobs.

Attachments

• IMG_5980.JPG
    IMG_5980.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 193

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Back when I started on the preload in 1977 preloaders earned $.50/hr less then FT drivers. After 90 days and full time benefits. The Union understood that way FT Union members would be protected from the company undercutting FT wages and jobs in the future.
And until the 1976 contract, P/T years counted the same as a friend/T year.
I started in 1973, and the 1976 contract grand-fathered that in for P/Timers hired before August 1976.
Worked out nice for me because I had 6 years P/T when I went friend/T driving.

rickyb

The drivers get amazing wages but the part-timers get squat for the work we do. $10 an hour? To load up trucks in that heat/cold? How far does $10 an hour get you these days?
I mean I get it, people who make more than us want to keep up down because it means they have more money both relatively and absolutely. Why work us for $15, when prices will just inflate and reduce the real value of your $30? Better to keep us as a slave underclass who keeps the value of your $30 floating nice and high right?
I'm not saying every newbie that walks in on the street deserves the whole farm, but can we get bumped up a little or what? Jesus Christ
capitalists pay as little as possible to workers, and the long term trajectory for American wages is down if nothing changes

id look elsewhere for work. warehouse jobs are the worst. I did it for a month.

GOAT/BESTSORTERALIVE

if you are working at UPS as a part timer for the money , you are at the wrong place . The only 2 reasons to work pt at UPS is for the health benefits and for the 25k school assistance.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
And until the 1976 contract, P/T years counted the same as a friend/T year.
I started in 1973, and the 1976 contract grand-fathered that in for P/Timers hired before August 1976.
Worked out nice for me because I had 6 years P/T when I went friend/T driving.

Way to sell everyone else out. I hope you are proud of yourself