Why doesn't UPS make an Amazon Flex type app instead of having PVDs?

0ssu

I'm an SPVD 2 years running and I just found out about Amazon Flex. It's off-season for PVDing so I thought I'd try a Flex. So far this thing kicks ass, it's literally the same job as being a PVD for UPS except Amazon's app isn't a steaming pile of horse:censored2:. And I can just sign up for a block and Flex out whenever. Why doesn't UPS take a tip from Amazon and make a gig app for overflow packages? Being a PVD was okay but I had to show up every day even if I wasn't feeling it. Even with gas I'm making about the same amount Flexing as I did PVDicking around. You just get a set amount of packages and I'm literally fast as lightning. And for UPS it was hourly so my only incentive was to screw around on the company's dime. But for independent contractors they can just offer a flat amount. I'd bang out some packages for UPS if they appified it for, because I'll run DoorDashes or Instacarts too, it's kind of like Pokemon go only you get paid for it.

So, you want UPS to cater to people who only want to work when they're "feeling it" rather than people looking for steady employment, and to attract people who will cut whatever corners they can to get done rather than doing the job safely and correctly?

Sounds like you'll be a good fit at Amazon.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
I'm an SPVD 2 years running and I just found out about Amazon Flex. It's off-season for PVDing so I thought I'd try a Flex. So far this thing kicks ass, it's literally the same job as being a PVD for UPS except Amazon's app isn't a steaming pile of horse:censored2:. And I can just sign up for a block and Flex out whenever. Why doesn't UPS take a tip from Amazon and make a gig app for overflow packages? Being a PVD was okay but I had to show up every day even if I wasn't feeling it. Even with gas I'm making about the same amount Flexing as I did PVDicking around. You just get a set amount of packages and I'm literally fast as lightning. And for UPS it was hourly so my only incentive was to screw around on the company's dime. But for independent contractors they can just offer a flat amount. I'd bang out some packages for UPS if they appified it for, because I'll run DoorDashes or Instacarts too, it's kind of like Pokemon go only you get paid for it.
Only incentive is to screw around? I go really slow but I never waste company time I’m always working when I’m supposed to. Doesn’t sound like you are the ideal employee.

R1wonder

Because we have a union of over a million members who fought for good paying jobs and benefits . You want to "flex" you go right on ahead , maybe you can sign into your instacart when you're done flexing and deliver some milk too . We have families to feed and have fought for full time jobs

Cowboy Mac

I'm a SCAB 2 years running and I just found out about Amazon Flex. It's off-season for SCABing so I thought I'd try a Flex. So far this thing kicks ass, it's literally the same job as being a SCAB for UPS except Amazon's app isn't a steaming pile of horse:censored2:. And I can just sign up for a block and Flex out whenever. Why doesn't UPS take a tip from Amazon and make a gig app for overflow packages? Being a SCAB was okay but I had to show up every day even if I wasn't feeling it (Wahh!). Even with gas I'm making about the same amount Flexing as I did SCABing around. You just get a set amount of packages and I'm literally fast as lightning. And for UPS it was hourly so my only incentive was to screw around on the company's dime (thief). But for independent contractors they can just offer a flat amount. I'd bang out some packages for UPS if they appified it for, because I'll run DoorDashes or Instacarts too, it's kind of like Pokemon go only you get paid for it.
fixed it for you

0ssu

So, you want UPS to cater to people who only want to work when they're "feeling it" rather than people looking for steady employment, and to attract people who will cut whatever corners they can to get done rather than doing the job safely and correctly?

Sounds like you'll be a good fit at Amazon.

It's like a hive or an ant colony bro, the ants are really dumb on their own and often get squashed/lost. But it's all good because there's a :censored2:ton of them and overall they keep things buzzin'. If you let a batch sit and no one accepts it right away they raise the payout and I usually scoop one then. They probably lose more packages in transit but they cut out all the middle men like the unions and the government.

Because we have a union of over a million members who fought for good paying jobs and benefits . You want to "flex" you go right on ahead , maybe you can sign into your instacart when you're done flexing and deliver some milk too . We have families to feed and have fought for full time jobs

Trust me I'm the :censored2:ing milk man, and I've been known to get asked inside a lot for some cookies.

Get a real job

Nooooooo (。•́︿•̀。)

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
You should be “banged out”. Lazy thief

Brownwind

We’re teamsters my friend. Please pay your dues like the rest of us, work your way through the bid process and in thirty plus years you will be able to pick your schedule when you want to work. In the meantime remember the customer is king and our last name is service. Learn to drive safe and enjoy the ride.

0ssu

Cause I don’t want to share the work.
I figured you guys would want a little of the load taken off, I see y'all out at 7:30pm and :censored2:. I don't blame you either, after I finish a 4hr block I'm just about tuckered out. But I can usually sling 'em in like 2hrs and dip out. I'm not trying to take your jobs or anything but it seems like it's adapt or die. Before you know it you'll be able to pop in for a shift in McDonald's on your gig app when you're in some kind of mood to flip burgs, or maybe hop in and burn the midnight oil stocking shelves overnight at Walmart. We can just giggity gig-ify everything and streamline the whole employment process entirely. Saves me from having to get on a sleep schedule.

Sixth Punch Sense

I figured you guys would want a little of the load taken off, I see y'all out at 7:30pm and :censored2:. I don't blame you either, after I finish a 4hr block I'm just about tuckered out. But I can usually sling 'em in like 2hrs and dip out. I'm not trying to take your jobs or anything but it seems like it's adapt or die. Before you know it you'll be able to pop in for a shift in McDonald's on your gig app when you're in some kind of mood to flip burgs, or maybe hop in and burn the midnight oil stocking shelves overnight at Walmart. We can just giggity gig-ify everything and streamline the whole employment process entirely. Saves me from having to get on a sleep schedule.

allahuakbar

She/Her
O Brian could easily come with a way for these flex type employees to pay dues. Ups buying those delivery apps is big. They def got a bunch of tricks up their sleeves