Why is a 22.4 driver worth less?

Slug Life

When do we eat?
That is why they are always the one to be scanned as LIBs. Not enough room on the car to make their service commitments..It is a constant occurrence in my building..The Hub Is not much better, again not enough room on the trailers. These are high revenue packages..Really do not understand the planning on this, other than look good on paper.

You are lucky you retired...Last peak was the worst...I swear we had thousands of air packages stuck in the yard with perfect weather conditions and only reason is they did not have enough equipment or manpower to deliver them..Pathetic..

Are these 22.4's going to solve this problem (it could)...I believe the real problem is the people making these decisions are not listening to the ground troops involved in operations whether management or senior union folk who have been through it.

They force these centers to make brick without straw to get their numbers or their perceived advancement. So what is a few LIBs..also it creates a lot of integrity issues with their scanning codes..So follow the rules and please do not try to hide any service failure.
1. Other
2. Missed
3. Management Pee-issed
We call it the 1-2 Punch down here.

diallo185

I would like to know if the IE boneheads are gonna count a 22.4 driver as another car on road! If so put a rcpd on road and add routes! No wait that will be to simple let’s complicate things!

PT Car Washer

How does an air driver work more than 9.5?
Starts at 6:00 AM delivering EAM, back to the building for 10:30 air, back to the building for LIB's and or bulk, irregs, later goes and pulls stops off an over dispatched driver, later helps with some pick ups and a PM air route. Punch put at 8:00 PM no lunch.

dogs.bite.me

This "unique individual" will be hired from off the street at a disproportional rate from the traditional 6-1 ratio that was once the standard.
Today's part time employee is not interested in being a RPCD, so why would they bid a lessor job in this new classification?

This "unique individual" will also quickly learn that they are a second tier employee and will inevitably resent their top tier peers.

There is nothing good about this language....I hate it.

That in your area.

In mine, I have preloaders waiting for the chance to drive.

Also our centers are stacked with FT drivers double shifting to get their hours. (Preload/local sort) how will they put on a 22.4 before them?

I think you guys are looking at the absolute worse case scenario and I don’t think it will ever get to that.

Just speaking on what I see at my bldg.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Starts at 6:00 AM delivering EAM, back to the building for 10:30 air, back to the building for LIB's and or bulk, irregs, later goes and pulls stops off an over dispatched driver, later helps with some pick ups and a PM air route. Punch put at 8:00 PM no lunch.
And they get ground rate, right?

SameRightsForAll

The reason for the 90-minute unpaid break is because UPS knows that the driver will have to work through his 90 minutes in order to complete the insane workload. So they already get 1 hour a day of free labor from a lot of drivers; why not try for 1 1/2 hours. It's not like our fake union is going to fight it.

Slug Life

When do we eat?
The reason for the 90-minute unpaid break is because UPS knows that the driver will have to work through his 90 minutes in order to complete the insane workload. So they already get 1 hour a day of free labor from a lot of drivers; why not try for 1 1/2 hours. It's not like our fake union is going to fight it.
BINGO and that’s why we need to shut this contract down.

browned out

What I want to know is; Why are the 22.4s lack of family life time of no importance to UPS and the Teamsters?

UPS and the Teamsters keep pushing the bs line that they care about the members family time.

UPS and the Teamsters should just be forthright. Do not feed us this line of crap about caring about members family time. State that 22.4s are not eligible for 9.5 protection because UPS wants the cost savings. There. Was not so hard. Save your bleeding heart bs UPS.

How can they hold up to 25% of the driver workforce hostage to excessive OT for 5 years +?

If we can not get rid of this concessionary 22.4 garbage then we need 9.5 rights for 22.4s .

The teamsters and UPS know the 22.4s will have an issue with excessive hours. UPS will not even pretend to care for at least the next 5 years.

Time for change

Shouldn’t there be language that a regular driver can bump a 22.4 on Saturday if they get laid off on Mon or Tues? Or is there and I’m not seeing it. Regardless the 22.4 language is awful.

opey

Bruh this is the whole point, doesn’t matter the seniority you have. It’s written in the contract 22.4’s Get 40 hours guaranteed, RPCD Get 40 only if “work is available”.
first of all, the 22.4's are going to be used mostly, if not all, tues-sat and wed-sun. so they arent going to bring someone in for a 6th day to pay them OT for the day. but of course you will say no, the company will use them mon-fri too. then there is this:

4. No RPCD shall be laid off or displaced from the classification while 22.4 combination drivers are working in the building.

so that right there says an RPCD cant be laid off while they are using 22.4's. so by that, they cant tell the rpcd "sorry, no work" (thats a lay off) and then work 22.4's

opey

Are these 22.4's going to solve this problem (it could)...I believe the real problem is the people making these decisions are not listening to the ground troops involved in operations whether management or senior union folk who have been through it.
this is the biggest problem of all. My center manager gets it, and says the things the company does is BS all the time.. but its out of his hands (like the removal of RDO from the diad)

DOK

Bruh this is the whole point, doesn’t matter the seniority you have. It’s written in the contract 22.4’s Get 40 hours guaranteed, RPCD Get 40 only if “work is available”.
first of all, the 22.4's are going to be used mostly, if not all, tues-sat and wed-sun. so they arent going to bring someone in for a 6th day to pay them OT for the day. but of course you will say no, the company will use them mon-fri too. then there is this:

4. No RPCD shall be laid off or displaced from the classification while 22.4 combination drivers are working in the building.

so that right there says an RPCD cant be laid off while they are using 22.4's. so by that, they cant tell the rpcd "sorry, no work" (thats a lay off) and then work 22.4's

The packages they deliver on Saturday and Sunday are Monday packages, they will cut Monday big time and send lower guys home, 22.4’s won’t be working on a Monday so the “no RPCD can be laid off while a 22.4 is working “ will be mute because 22.4’s won’t be working that day. On the conference call with ups the one manager explicitly said it goes by “that day” as far as RPCD being laid off.