Why is a 22.4 driver worth less?

For doing less work ?

Sure.... as long as any full-time driver can bump you, at their discretion.

I should have been clearer. Air drivers paid the same as other combination employees inside/inside shifter/shifter shifter/inside. All these have the same top rate and combination which air drivers do the same work not less and in some cases more.

There have always been different pay rates.... for full-time classifications.

-Bug-

Grey

They need to use 22.4s to deliver bulk blowouts and irregs.

My center manager seems to think a day with 2 blowout bulk stops making the truck have 60-80 more pieces then normal should only take 20 minutes longer then normal cause the stop count is still 'only' 190 with pickups.

They say you can't go by the orion map as far as times/last stop but we're required to follow trace.

1 of my business is closed Fridays through the summer so Mondays can be 40-60 packages, some size of 2 paper boxes together. Then 2 other businesses I have do monthly orders in the 50-60 piece range and those days I still have similar stop count. Another is a business ran put of a residential, he can order 15-25 pieces and it gets loaded in middle of truck and scattered.

My ORS said to go to any bulk/blowout stops after air is off yet center manager bitches about over mileage and 2 hours over dispatch... when I compare it to Orion saying 40-60 min over as far as last scan time.

They should definitely have them cover pickups instead of delivering stops. All UPS Stores should be covered daily.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
How come a 22.4 makes 15 bucks an hour more than other inside employees when he's not driving?
My argument to this is always that they will be used inside very sparingly, 0-2 hours in building and 9+ on the road.
To combat this I had suggested the wage scale be split, using the existing 22.3 language for inside work and FT driver wage for package car work.
Cut the "wait period" down to 30 minutes and add a variation of 9.5 (Like 7.5/10 for outside/inside+outside) and you'd have something worth voting in.

reginald95

Bruh this is the whole point, doesn’t matter the seniority you have. It’s written in the contract 22.4’s Get 40 hours guaranteed, RPCD Get 40 only if “work is available”.

Most supplements should have a stipulation that no lower seniority employee shall work over a higher seniority full-time driver. Why don't you ask your union guy so you don't come on here spouting nonsense.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Simple..They can pay them less and always will, 4 year progression of a new hire or lower seniority part timer and the use of part time driving and inside shift combination work with the flexibility of a 1 or 1 1/2 not paid work gap work shift. Add to that the possible 7 day / 24 hour operation. What is there not to like from the company side.

Brohn Bron

Why do air drivers make less? They punch into diads, drive ups package cars, handle packages and make deliveries.

I’m not advocating for the 22.4 language. I’m just curious to hear opinions.

I would argue the strenuous physical labor demands of an air driver are much less than a day to day cover/bid route driver. It is well known in my center, an easy 8 hours of work means shuttling packages, misloads and sweeping UPS stores. Probably not the same everywhere but like I said, much more taxing on the body and mentally running a whole route than moving packages from one driver to another.

DOK

Bruh this is the whole point, doesn’t matter the seniority you have. It’s written in the contract 22.4’s Get 40 hours guaranteed, RPCD Get 40 only if “work is available”.

Most supplements should have a stipulation that no lower seniority employee shall work over a higher seniority full-time driver. Why don't you ask your union guy so you don't come on here spouting nonsense.

It’s also stated the master language over rides all supplemental language. Shocking stuff isn’t it?!

Simple..They can pay them less and always will, 4 year progression of a new hire or lower seniority part timer and the use of part time driving and inside shift combination work with the flexibility of a 1 or 1 1/2 not paid work gap work shift. Add to that the possible 7 day / 24 hour operation. What is there not to like from the company side.
22.4s was a compromise. Because ups wanted to use part timers @ a much lower wages and benefits. UPS will run the business in the manner they wish. Lower wage were coming no nater what. The union was able to get living wage jobs out of them. Look at how the postal union has allowed many non living wage scales.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
They dont have 9.5 language. But ground work is extra work for them, so they dont have to take it if they dont want it.
well what they can do is demand ground pay, and depending on their supplement it may go for their whole day not just their driving or the portion of driving when they serviced grounds.