Why is it a sign that you made it when you get a driving job at UPS?

The Milkman

If you want to have a career making 80 to 90k a year you can do that here. Sure your going to have to work hard and work long hours and deal with some bs but it is what it is. You young punkazz kids are scared of working hard and getting your hands dirty. Would you rather work somewhere and not have to work hard and reach into your pocket and all you feel is your leg or reach in your pocket and its full of greenbacks and know you worked hard for it and earned it. Take a long hard look around you youngblood, the job market for good paying jobs is shrinking every day. And theres a lot of college graduates who have that degree that cant find jobs. If you want an excellent paying job with one of the largest companies in the world its their for ya and it aint going anywhere anytime soon. Sure theres a lot of bs that comes with this job but u get over it on payday. Id rather make 90k with a job I may not like all the time than a job I absolutely love and make chump change and cant afford jack shiznitt lol. Maybe when you quit moochin off mommy and daddy one day and you move out you will learn YOUNG SKYWALKER what the real world is.

:goodpost:

laffter

I don't have a problem with UPS. Just seems like they promote the driver as being some god like position when it really isn't.

Who is "they"? Management? No. Corporate? Of course, any company is going to show their employees as being some great entity in some television commercial. I also see nurses or doctor's assistants being promoted as amazing people. Anyone can clean up an elderly person's crap and wipe their asses.

MethodsMan

One can be an accountant and not ruin his body and make more money than a driver, so I'm not buying that.

I want to know why becoming a driver is viewed as something that is some sort of reward for all the work you put in for years, building yourself up.

Congrats for busting your ass all these years, you get a driving job where you work 50 + hrs a week tearing your body apart.

I never understood the reward angle they push and see it as propaganda more or less. Why not aspire to get one of those office jobs at UPS instead?

You're acting like $80k a year, with great bennies and no college education jobs grow on trees.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Look...I can see if you're good at sales, or have the patience and don't mind having debt up to your eyeballs and completing your degree...if you are a numbers person and don't mind accounting...if you are fine with putting forth the risk and effort of starting your own business or buying an existing one then great. More power to you. Some people (myself included) just isn't cut out for those things. And becoming a driver with the opportunity to make anywhere from 55-100k a year is the culmination of having the patience to wait. Yes the job is hard, yes the hours suck at times, but tell me this...is that any different than having school debt hanging over you or putting up with the risk of opening a business or being under the pressure of sales situations? I don't think so. The risk reward is the same. Is there a glory to it? I don't think so...but it is it's own special kind of accomplishment to some.

BMWSauber1991

I understand one has to work himself up from the bottom (pt handler) to the top (driver) but why is the driver viewed as a career accomplishment and something of some prestige. There is nothing prestigious about a UPS driver. I do not go out of my way to bow to them. I do not acknowledge them. They are neither bad or good to me, they are just there. It is also a grueling job with long hours where you can be lifting heavy packages throughout the day.

I never understood why the driver is THAT position to aspire to, yet I bet if you take a straw poll of 100 pt package handlers, 90 + will say the goal is to be sitting in that truck one day.

​Nothing special or grandiose about it imo.

Although I agree with the people here that have posted on this board saying that you have not even held a job at UPS and you are not entitled to an opinion, I must say that I also agree with the statement you have made. You have revealed a common double standard for UPS union workers. UPS union workers get mad when you talk down about there jobs but they have all the right to talk down to people that go into management? Calling people that decide to go into management "sell outs", "traders", or whatever.

I'll be the first to say it, money makes the world go round, and money truly can help people attain happiness in there lives. The difference is people who are content with working long grueling hours to make a good living and people that are not ready to accept their fate at UPS. Some people want more out of their lives and don't want to pick up boxes and break their back to make a buck. Some want to fulfill their dreams before they leave this earth, who knows, you might never get another chance to do want you want with your life.......

I don't think it's right to say that a young person going to college to get a degree is not earning his money the right way. A poster here stated that young people will never know what it's like to reach in there pocket and feel the greenbacks they earned working hard. Who said going to college is not a hard thing to do? In fact, most people that go to college know they will be taking on substantial debt to get their degree and also know that they will have to fight for the job they want with the limited amount available to them. But, this is the risk these people take when they don't want to accept a mind numbing and back breaking job.

Going to college is not a "get out of jail free card" or a guaranteed way to get the job of your dreams. Hell, I work with a man that has his masters degree in forestry, and we live in OREGON. You would think he would be able to use his degree but that doesn't seem to be the case.

What I am saying is UPS is a hard career, it makes good money, and it's fine for people that don't want to go to school and even for people that do want to go to school. Some people can't stand to think that driving a truck is the pinnacle of their careers and aren't doing what they dreamed of. To say one is harder than the other is not something we can judge, everyone is different, and everyone wants different things in life.

There is no prestige in driving. No degree is required. But, there is respect for the amount of commitment they have put in there jobs. Just like respecting a business owner, an accountant, a teacher, a janitor, a brick layer, a lawyer, a engineer, and so on. Every human deserves respect until they prove otherwise to you.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
There is no prestige in driving. No degree is required. But, there is respect for the amount of commitment they have put in there jobs. Just like respecting a business owner, an accountant, a teacher, a janitor, a brick layer, a lawyer, a engineer, and so on. Every human deserves respect until they prove otherwise to you.
Most people don't respect accountants, teachers, janitors, brick layers, lawyers, etc. Or UPS drivers for that matter. However, many people do envy UPS driver's benefits and pay in one of the quickly disappearing good union jobs that are left in this country.

I'll tell you what OP. Forget about driving for UPS. Go to college. Take out $50,000 in student loans you'll probably never be able to pay back. Get yourself a computer science degree, and in four years if your lucky, you'll get the great opportunity of working on the geek squad at best buy. I'm sure you'll be glad you forgot all about that driving job you're talking down on.

The Milkman

What I am saying is UPS is a hard career, it makes good money, and it's fine for people that don't want to go to school and even for people that do want to go to school. Some people can't stand to think that driving a truck is the pinnacle of their careers and aren't doing what they dreamed of. To say one is harder than the other is not something we can judge, everyone is different, and everyone wants different things in life.

There is no prestige in driving. No degree is required. But, there is respect for the amount of commitment they have put in there jobs. Just like respecting a business owner, an accountant, a teacher, a janitor, a brick layer, a lawyer, a engineer, and so on. Every human deserves respect until they prove otherwise to you.[/QUOTE]

Driving a truck is one thing, But back in 81 Driving I felt a little more in control back then. NDA was in it's infancy, you would get in your truck, sort things out, know your pickups and could actually plan your day however to make service. before all the P/U commit times you would swing by a business run out of a home at 11am or 2pm and p/u or come back the next day. You juggled things more when NDA came out and little by little with earlier commit times you were slowly but surely losing control of how to run your route to accomadate the small business owner who could rely on you to arrive in the am and return in the pm for p/u. Now your day is planned, can't really use your brain to sort the day out, thus drivers becoming like pre programmed robots. It is sad because before all this bar code this and edd that, people saw you in a different light, more down to earth and possibly more relaxed. How many times I would chat with folks at homes and p/u's becoming familiar with their families and other interests and still did a fairs day work for a fairs day pay. Now many see a different face every other day because of misloads , splitting up rtes etc. Can't count on being in the area same time everyday. I missed that part of interaction with the people, The Service we provided made UPS grow, now numbers for the shareholders are all that matter...and the people out there using UPS surely know it:money:

brownrod

I understand one has to work himself up from the bottom (pt handler) to the top (driver) but why is the driver viewed as a career accomplishment and something of some prestige. There is nothing prestigious about a UPS driver. I do not go out of my way to bow to them. I do not acknowledge them. They are neither bad or good to me, they are just there. It is also a grueling job with long hours where you can be lifting heavy packages throughout the day.

I never understood why the driver is THAT position to aspire to, yet I bet if you take a straw poll of 100 pt package handlers, 90 + will say the goal is to be sitting in that truck one day.

​Nothing special or grandiose about it imo.

It all depends on where you live and what you are trained/qualified/educated to do. Where I live this job is about as good as you can get. The next rung on the ladder would be MD or business owner.

However, 100 miles away in one of America's large cities there are many more opportunities and large corporations to work for. If I lived there I would never consider working for this company.

Overpaid Union Thug

Most people don't respect accountants, teachers, janitors, brick layers, lawyers, etc. Or UPS drivers for that matter. However, many people do envy UPS driver's benefits and pay in one of the quickly disappearing good union jobs that are left in this country.

I'll tell you what OP. Forget about driving for UPS. Go to college. Take out $50,000 in student loans you'll probably never be able to pay back. Get yourself a computer science degree, and in four years if your lucky, you'll get the great opportunity of working on the geek squad at best buy. I'm sure you'll be glad you forgot all about that driving job you're talking down on.

Haha!! I firmly believe that your standard college education is nothing more than a pyramid scheme. Unless someone genuinely wants the education I don't see the point in wasting the time and money. The only exceptions would be certain careers that require a traditional college degree as a core or spearhead into their job's academic training. Like nurses and doctors. Technical training or other career specific training seems to be the more lucrative route nowadays.

To answer the OP's question......I have never heard anyone say or even insinuate that being a UPS driver is prestigious or God like. However..... I've had plenty of people tell me that its a good paying job with good benefits. And many times those same people would acknowledge that they know we work late hours.