Why is it a sign that you made it when you get a driving job at UPS?

HomeDelivery

76d31508_c851d40e_Derail_1.jpeg

to the OP, good luck in whatever you choose to do... don't wait too long though & put that DOT card to good use, even if it's just a temp driving job for the season!

i'm thinking of switching uniforms for this peak, but i am still considering between knowing what i already know at team purple vs. learning a whole new set of scanner codes/procedures for team brown...
76d31508_c851d40e_Derail_1.jpeg

BrownChoice

View attachment 10105

to the OP, good luck in whatever you choose to do... don't wait too long though & put that DOT card to good use, even if it's just a temp driving job for the season!

i'm thinking of switching uniforms for this peak, but i am still considering between knowing what i already know at team purple vs. learning a whole new set of scanner codes/procedures for team brown...

Only advice i will give is that once you switch over, if you tell a single soul you used to be purple, be ready to be put to work.. All drivers work hard, well most lol.. Since i know the culture here at big Brown, something tells me you might be messed with for a little while.. If this happens just continue to hump them packages and be ready to climb in and out up and down over and under 200-300 times a day this peak! You will be respected once you prove your worth. You may already know that for 1 loop off a fedex route, you might see 2, 3, or maybe even 4 ups trucks in this area.. I do wish you good luck on whatever decision you make, and know that even though big brown works the back and knees off the drivers, they do make very good money and a secure retirement with a pension. This company is no cake walk as many many have posted before I. Ups does have its up's and downs, like every other business out there.
I love the feeling of pulling up to the bank on friday after work to withdraw a large amount of cash knowing i earned every single dollar in the envelope. Vacations...get used to going on tropical cruises or making weekend vegas trips!! You should also get used to only see your kids or wife/girlfriend off to school/work and then having the joy off MAYBE tucking them in at night. No real family time or life, but you do make a lot of money and will actually provide for the family.

PS. You may also have to learn to live with the hemorhoids, and/or taking mild painkillers for life..
God Bless.

HomeDelivery

yeap, i already know about those points you mentioned...

i did contacted them before i put anything through the application process, but here's the reply: just if they'll ride the temp drivers as hard as the regular ups drivers.

a few of my questions:

before i formally complete an application, i was wondering if the start time of 0800 AM is concrete or can the temporary package delivery driver be starting at a later time. in my hub, they get the regular drivers out of the building first since they're most likely bricked out to the gills & the temps are there as supplementals, forming whatever's left over on the belt that day

are we allowed to have portable gps systems mounted on the windshield of the package vehicles? that was answered by one of your members a month or 2 ago when i posed this question

are the loads setup in stop-order? is there turn-by-turns in your terminal? ie edd or orion order? that way i can just follow the list in order and knock them out...

My current DOT health card is still in good standing until Nov 2014, would i have to be re-screened again?

I'm capable of driving a standard transmission (haven't been on one lately since i switch from a car to a minivan to haul my kids around) , but most temp drivers would be driving out of Uhaul rental boxvans with auto transmissions anyways?

Thank you for your interest in UPS. UPS is an equal opportunity employer and considers candidates for open positions based on bona fide job requirements and the ability to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. If you are selected for an interview, you may speak with your interviewer in reference to your questions at that time.

Good luck in your employment endeavors.

Patricia G.
UPS HR Service Center

she basically stated to go through the application process & ask them these questions directly through the interview

one question was answered on this board a while ago & they'll let the temp drivers use a portable gps unit on the package vehicles...

BrownChoice

Ahh. Yea, as for the gps, if i cant find a stop i just use my iPhone gps or google maps. Dont do it while driving, at least while on-car supes are with you lol.

start times around here are around 9:00. Depends, on area you would be working at obviously.

you will have to be rescreened for the specific UPS DOT card. Good for 2 years if no high blood pressure, diabetes, protein in blood etc.
ups uses EDD. Which sometimes isnt your friend.... Depends on dispatch. I still work preload so when they do need me to deliver ground, i usually do garbage routes or bulk stops and resi's. Ive had 1 really stressful time since ive learned the diad.. They sent me out blind and the EDD was not in order. They had 2 people pull stops off me and i remember working 8.5 hours and was only able to deliver i think 55 stops because it was soooo messed up in board, not having any maps and phone died so no more gps(which i had to use for nearly every stop).
All of this in addition to a non-power steering, hard-as-concrete clutch pedal..... Having to do 3 or 4 point turns in a simple cul de sac! Since then ive been able to do up to 100 stops in 3.5 hours...(running and gunning like a mad man). I think you should go for it. You will have a better chance than others because of your fedex experience. Impress them during peak season and you may very well find yourself with a career and being much much better off doing pretty much the exact thing you do now.. Good luck and i wish you the best.

HomeDelivery

thanks for your input, but i know i'll be thrown aside when peak ends in favor of those inside the building waiting for their dues to come in; no way will i be considered to go FT after peak, based on all the posts i've been reading.

I'm not in NYC where some drivers are basically in demand, but in the same north east region.

just finishing up the online process now... so they'll call me for an interview next week & I'll get to see the hub & ask these same questions ~ that'll base my decision to stay with purple or switch to brown THIS peak.

there's one section of the online app process:

I further acknowledge that as a peak season hire, I am an at-will employee, and, as such, my employment may be discontinued at any time.

Last edited:

BrownChoice

No problem.

yeah, your right that there is a slim chance of you being with Brown after peak. But it depends if you really impress the local management. Here, it is 7 inside to 1 outsider(management or off street) so there is a chance! If not, you may have to pay your dues as well and work pre-load or local until its your time.. Ive been here 6 years this december and i do deliver saturday air and ground a few times a month.. I am young still(26) and i can understand it would be much more difficult if i was even a little older.. Good luck!

HomeDelivery

well, just as soon as i finished the application last night, i get a call today from team purple for another peak season... i'm changing the availability date for next september 2014 & will still be meeting with the ups HR rep as leverage to boost my hourly pay (lets see if team purple will match ups' temp driver pay)

neartom

because you get full access to the Driver's lounge. Those long hours are not because of "driving", cause we are in the lounge partying.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I havent read the whole thread. The only thing that tells me you made it, is that you walk out the door, still in one piece, for the last time. Then you have it made. You have arrived.

JL 0513

Landing a position with total compensation well over $100K a year (when counting bennies), I would say, is "making it". :happy-very:

I put aside my college degree, worked the local sort for 5.5 years just to get on the road. I decided that it was a much brighter future
as a driver than to get a job in the field I went to college for.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
One can be an accountant and not ruin his body and make more money than a driver, so I'm not buying that.

I want to know why becoming a driver is viewed as something that is some sort of reward for all the work you put in for years, building yourself up.

Congrats for busting your ass all these years, you get a driving job where you work 50 + hrs a week tearing your body apart.

I never understood the reward angle they push and see it as propaganda more or less. Why not aspire to get one of those office jobs at UPS instead?

An accountant usually has a college degree ... most drivers don't (especially if you don't count Arts, English or History as real degrees.
A UPS driver job is "El Primo" for non-competitive manual labor jobs.