Why is ups never mentioned

rod

Retired 22 years
This. But many are too lazy to put the time in working two jobs. The less the public knows, the better.

I agree about "the less that know the better". I never told anyone on my route what I made an hour unless they pissed me off and I wanted to rub it in their nose.

rod

Retired 22 years
That's why I'm scared for our future.......the public won't have our support like they did in 97 if things go south.......

Its been MANY years since the public really supported any strike anyway. Yes there was some support in 97 but not a whole bunch. Being scared is exactly how the company wants the hourlies to feel. Remember "IF" it would be necessary to strike you would be doing it to better yourself or at the very least hang on to what others have gained for you---not to be the publics buddy.

rod

Retired 22 years
What did u make back then like a quarter, when others were making a nickel????????

When I retired in 2001 I was making just short of 21 bucks an hour. I didn't concern myself with what others made but as a rule I'm sure it wasn't ANYWHERE near 21. When I started in 1971 I was making somewhere around $6.25 an hour and my wife had a good paying (at that time) State job where she made $3.75 an hour.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I think about 99% of the public have no idea how much we (drivers) are compensated. If you told them we make nearly $35/hr with lots of overtime plus health insurance and pension they're shocked.

Part of me wishes it was common knowledge simply for the reason of getting the respect that comes from such things, not that it's that important. Customers just treat you as the guy handing over a cardboard box with no realization of what we get done each day and as a result making much more than them.
It's so great delivering to some dumpy apartment and the person who answers treats you like a scum bag...at the end of the day you get to go home to your much nicer place...that's when I wish they knew how great our job really was.

35years

Gravy route
University of Ill study...
Our job is in the top 9% most stressful

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9028437
Stress among package truck drivers.

Orris P1, Hartman DE, Strauss P, Anderson RJ, Collins J, Knopp C, Xu Y, Melius J.
Author information

Abstract
In 1992, a cross-sectional questionnaire study of package truck drivers in one company was conducted at four widely scattered sites throughout the US; 317 drivers participated, representing 82% of those eligible. The package truck drivers scored significantly above the US working population comparison norm on all summary and individual scales derived from the SCL 90-R, indicating a substantial increase in psychologic distress for this group. The Global Severity Index, the best single summary measure of psychological distress in the SCL 90-R, revealed a mean T score for the drivers of 64.20, 91st percentile of the normative population. The group perceived significantly more daily stressful events than the average working adult, and their sensitivity to these events was also increased. Role overload, a component of the Occupational Stress Inventory, was the most consistent factor associated with symptoms of psychological distress on multiple regression analysis. This study suggests that job stress is a psychological health hazard for these drivers.

MobileBA

Who makes 70K? Medical $18000 WC JC37 Pension $20000, Wages 2080hrs 72,600 its a 100K job with no overtime, oh and 15K is earned not even coming to work.

Gear

Parts on Order
I know you guys will get mad for me saying this, but-

Nobody other then UPS drivers and their wives/husbands think its a hard job. As far as people are concerned, you delivery packages. No different then the mailman or the milkman back in the day. This is why I would say its not on the hardest job list.

Normal people do not think about UPS. I hear guys say having UPS on your resume will make a difference, it doesnt.

rod

Retired 22 years

Nobody other then UPS drivers and their wives/husbands think its a hard job. As far as people are concerned, you delivery packages. No different then the mailman or the milkman back in the day. This is why I would say its not on the hardest job list.

Normal people do not think about UPS. I hear guys say having UPS on your resume will make a difference, it doesnt.

I'd like to have a dollar for every time I heard "all you do is drive around all day".

Cementups

Box Monkey

I've been doing this for 22 years and I can honestly tell you it's not that hard of a job. Just like any other job, it's only as hard as you make it. Some days I'm overpaid and other days I'm underpaid. It all works out in the end.

evilleace

I've been doing this for 22 years and I can honestly tell you it's not that hard of a job. Just like any other job, it's only as hard as you make it. Some days I'm overpaid and other days I'm underpaid. It all works out in the end.

I agree completely this job can be monotonous, but is actually pretty easy. The only real stress is stress you put on yourself.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I agree completely this job can be monotonous, but is actually pretty easy. The only real stress is stress you put on yourself.

I had a driver one day griping about the stress of the job. I was like, "what stress!??! you deliver packages, you pick up packages, you go home. Its really that simple." I compared my job to my brother's job as a State Trooper. He's a State Trooper 24/7. It's something that you never turn off, even after retirement. We do our jobs, punch out and go home. You only take home what you want to. He thought about it for a minute and eventually agreed with me.

evilleace

I don't understand it, this job is nothing but common sense. The only time I get a little stressed is when I am going out in the blind, and that doesn't happen to much anymore.

I have been long term covering a route and the job almost gets boring some days.

Savvy412

Ya but. "The job" is only half the battle . I have never worked at a place that wants to fire you so bad . I have never worked at a place that follows you and expects you to follow every single stupid method to the book . Not to
Mention the "over allowed" that only vets don't care about . It's easy for someone who has been doing this for 10-20 years to say friend the numbers . But for someone who is a year under... How can you say friend the numbers ?

I'm actually in a good place right now. Got my route down. Know I will be ok everyday but when :censored2: starts going wrong. And you have a lot of commitments and pick ups. Not to mention peak. The snow, and the threat of at any moments notice. BOOM! crash. Or a injury . It's not as simple as "drop a box off "

evilleace

I never sad it was that simple, I have a very good and smart management team right now. I don't feel like they want to fire me, or that they are out to get me. As far as the numbers, I usually run under but if I happen to be over it isn't a bug deal to me. It's all a mental thing.