Why shouldn't we strike?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
People love to compare us to Europe. Why do you think our GDP is more than all of Europe combined while Europe has 2.3X the population of the US? We enjoy our standard of living and work for it. How homes are twice the size, our cars are twice the size. Everything is bigger and better here.

How do houses and cars being twice the size equate to being better?

ManInBrown

Hey serious question here, you guys are talking about missing your families grow up. I'm a cover driver, eventually looking toward full time driver, stuck in local sort for the time being because not enough sups to train new drivers. Should I look forward to twelve hour days all the time when I start driving full time? Honestly I went into this expecting a forty hour week, maybe fiifty to sixty just during peak. HR did not hint otherwise. What's the deal? It seems messed up that they would mislead driver candidates about hours to the degree you're intimating. Although naivete has alwasys been a thing for me I guess.
40 hour week. Lol. You'll never work one in your entire career.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Apparently I was misinformed. I did some reading around the innernette, and yeah the consensus does seem to be that 9 to 5 is a thing of the past. My dad, with an engineering degree, has worked 9 to 5, sometimes 9 to 6, for the past forty years, so I guess I just assumed it was normal. That plus the Dolly Parton song.

Point being, it's :censored2:ing stupid to work your life away.

In America, yes it is. Now I'm not saying I'd rather live in Europe (although I may just do that if Trump gets another 4 years), but the tendency to overwork is not a fact of life, it's an American cultural thing. Not the same in Europe.

U.S. Workers Put in Staggeringly More Hours Than Europeans Do

*internet

rod

Retired 22 years
Paid 105K for my first house, 3 bd, 2 ba, 1200sf. With a great 7.5.% interest rate. Working as a pt sup.

Paid $18,000 for my 1st house. 3 bedroom on a major lake here. Put $10,000 down on it. House payments were $85 a month (included insurance).

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_2484.JPG

Faceplanted

Paid $18,000 for my 1st house. 3 bedroom on a major lake here. Put $10,000 down on it. House payments were $85 a month (included insurance).
Do you yell at clouds and yell at children to stay off your lawn?

Sounds great. People don't know how to settle down and pay off their house. Always want to take out equity and buy stuff they don't need.

rod

Retired 22 years
Do you yell at clouds and yell at children to stay off your lawn?

Sounds great. People don't know how to settle down and pay off their house. Always want to take out equity and buy stuff they don't need.

I live in the sticks. No one to yell at except the wife.

CoryAndTrevor

So I'm pretty sure this thread was supposed to be about just drivers striking? Anyway who cares, I'm going to rant about package handlers, specifically local sort (I haven't done any pre-loading, so I have no idea what the situation is there).

Point is, I have beef with the problem at my center of "not enough and/or not good enough people in local sort." According to management, there are either too many people not being as careful as they should during local sort, or there are not enough people. Sometimes it's people not showing up, sometimes it's "can't find enough good hires."

My beef is, our pay is 10.20 for local sort. Reading around these forums, old heads are saying they made 8 or 9 an hour, like 20 or 30 years ago. So while other jobs went from 4 or 5 to 8 or 9 in that time, I'm talking fast food and washing cars and stuff, package handlers at UPS went from 8 or 9 to.... Wait for it... 10.20.

Now I could be totally wrong about those numbers, it's just hearsay I've gotten from this site.

But what I do know is, for the amount of, I :censored2: you not, backbreaking labor local sort people put in, whether they have good hustle or not, I think 10.20 is just about peanuts. Honestly, I'm going to be driving come peak. But If I had not been hired as a cover driver, I would at this point consider a SLIGHTLY lower paying job which did not require as much blood/sweat/tears.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not exactly bitching here. I actually don't mind the work all that much, but I don't see it as a workable long term thing, just something for college-age people to do until they have better things to do.

Sorry I'm rambling, but the point is, RAISE THE :censored2:ING WAGE, management, if you want "good hires" or "people to show up for work" or "more staff." Am I just missing something here? I know raising it from 10.20 to, I don't know, 12 to 14, would hurt the bottom line, but I would think that the increase in volume UPS is getting as brick and mortar continue to give way to online sales, coupled with more and better staff at 12 to 14 an hour, would, again I'm speculating here, more than make up for the loss in profits from raising the wage.

Somebody check me here-- Is this totally stupid, or is it plausible?

Oh yeah, I hope it goes without saying that I only know the situation at my center, for all I know everywhere else is all rainbows and unicorn jizz.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So I'm pretty sure this thread was supposed to be about just drivers striking? Anyway who cares, I'm going to rant about package handlers, specifically local sort (I haven't done any pre-loading, so I have no idea what the situation is there).

Point is, I have beef with the problem at my center of "not enough and/or not good enough people in local sort." According to management, there are either too many people not being as careful as they should during local sort, or there are not enough people. Sometimes it's people not showing up, sometimes it's "can't find enough good hires."

My beef is, our pay is 10.20 for local sort. Reading around these forums, old heads are saying they made 8 or 9 an hour, like 20 or 30 years ago. So while other jobs went from 4 or 5 to 8 or 9 in that time, I'm talking fast food and washing cars and stuff, package handlers at UPS went from 8 or 9 to.... Wait for it... 10.20.

Now I could be totally wrong about those numbers, it's just hearsay I've gotten from this site.

But what I do know is, for the amount of, I :censored2: you not, backbreaking labor local sort people put in, whether they have good hustle or not, I think 10.20 is just about peanuts. Honestly, I'm going to be driving come peak. But If I had not been hired as a cover driver, I would at this point consider a SLIGHTLY lower paying job which did not require as much blood/sweat/tears.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not exactly bitching here. I actually don't mind the work all that much, but I don't see it as a workable long term thing, just something for college-age people to do until they have better things to do.

Sorry I'm rambling, but the point is, RAISE THE :censored2:ING WAGE, management, if you want "good hires" or "people to show up for work" or "more staff." Am I just missing something here? I know raising it from 10.20 to, I don't know, 12 to 14, would hurt the bottom line, but I would think that the increase in volume UPS is getting as brick and mortar continue to give way to online sales, coupled with more and better staff at 12 to 14 an hour, would, again I'm speculating here, more than make up for the loss in profits from raising the wage.

Somebody check me here-- Is this totally stupid, or is it plausible?

Oh yeah, I hope it goes without saying that I only know the situation at my center, for all I know everywhere else is all rainbows and unicorn jizz.

Where you gonna find a less paying job than $10.20 an hour

Lmao

CoryAndTrevor

Where you gonna find a less paying job than $10.20 an hour

Lmao

Yeah, I don't really know. Most part time jobs do pay between 10 and 12, my wife actually makes 13 and all she does is drive to grocery stores and Targets and stuff and mess around with their product displays. Lucky bi-- I mean, wonderful lady.

That's why I emphasized "slightly" lower paying. The last part time job I has was washing cars, and it did pay a lot less, but only because I kept trying to do a good job, and it was paid piecemeal. Before that, I hadn't had one for like 6 or 7 years, and minimum wage has changed since then.

Yeah, I don't really know. Most part time jobs do pay between 10 and 12, my wife actually makes 13 and all she does is drive to grocery stores and Targets and stuff and mess around with their product displays. Lucky bi-- I mean, wonderful lady.

That's why I emphasized "slightly" lower paying. The last part time job I has was washing cars, and it did pay a lot less, but only because I kept trying to do a good job, and it was paid piecemeal. Before that, I hadn't had one for like 6 or 7 years, and minimum wage has changed since then.
Become an Amazonian they are hiring full time with benefits from day one.