Why shouldn't we strike?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hey serious question here, you guys are talking about missing your families grow up. I'm a cover driver, eventually looking toward full time driver, stuck in local sort for the time being because not enough sups to train new drivers. Should I look forward to twelve hour days all the time when I start driving full time? Honestly I went into this expecting a forty hour week, maybe fiifty to sixty just during peak. HR did not hint otherwise. What's the deal? It seems messed up that they would mislead driver candidates about hours to the degree you're intimating. Although naivete has alwasys been a thing for me I guess.

40 hour week!!!

LMAO!

Go get Ricky some smokes

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
But the way I see it, I'm motivated to work UPS because I can make a decent, nay luxurious in my opinion, living at 40 to 50 hours a week, off peak, at a driver's hourly rate. I am not motivated to work 12 hours a day five days a week year round, never seeing my wife or kids except on weekends, if that's the case. The alternative to that isn't more work for less money at a crappier job, it's save up for a few years, finish getting a bachelor's degree in engineering or something similar and get a normal 9 to 5 job like the majority of the working population. I'm afraid I don't follow your logic.
The majority of people work 9 to 5?

I only know one person that pulls those hours consistently and she doesn't make :censored2:.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I talked to four driver out of state this week. They said they are hoping for a strike. I didn't say anything other than introducing myself.
Ticked off drivers everywhere.
People have a right to be mad but it's a generational thing also.

My grandpa got up at 3:30 every morning and went and worked at the railroad til noon. But that wasn't enough for him so he Came home and took a nap. Then worked at the farm til the sun went down

CoryAndTrevor

Hey, if 9 to 5 isn't the norm, it sure as heck should be. And yeah, life is tough, but at a certain point people are going to get tired of working 60 hour weeks just to survive, while supporting CEOs who want every year's profits to be more than the last because they need four yachts instead of three. I guess not every rich person is scum, but still, one of these days we're going to bring back Lady St. Guillotine.

Over 70

Hey, if 9 to 5 isn't the norm, it sure as heck should be. And yeah, life is tough, but at a certain point people are going to get tired of working 60 hour weeks just to survive, while supporting CEOs who want every year's profits to be more than the last because they need four yachts instead of three. I guess not every rich person is scum, but still, one of these days we're going to bring back Lady St. Guillotine.

Jesus man, delivering for UPS isn't an 8 hour job, never will be. Just quit now.

Plenty of careers go 8 hours. My wife's a teacher, makes solid money, works less than 8 hours a day, low stress, better benefits than UPS, fantastic pension, the whole summer off.

The key anymore is to live well below your means which almost no one does. If you're able to do this, you hold the power to really live life how you want to.

Notcool

If I only worked 40hrs at 18.75 I wouldnt make enough. The progression is baloney when you put in ten yrs pt like me. I was making more working pt and a day job.

CoryAndTrevor

Jesus man, delivering for UPS isn't an 8 hour job, never will be. Just quit now.

Plenty of careers go 8 hours. My wife's a teacher, makes solid money, works less than 8 hours a day, low stress, better benefits than UPS, fantastic pension, the whole summer off.

The key anymore is to live well below your means which almost no one does. If you're able to do this, you hold the power to really live life how you want to.

Honestly I'm more pissed off on principle than anything. My wife and I have some money coming in in a couple years and we're going to start a small farm, so yeah I was already planning to quit in 2 or 3 years. I probably will have only just started driving full time by then anyway. It's more just a complaint about the fact that HR should let off-the-street hires know what they're signing up for, hours wise. And also just a millennial complaining about having to work for a living.

JL 0513

Who told you we work 60 hour weeks?

The national average is around 47 hrs/wk outside of December. It's not that absurd to work 47 hrs a week. It's the least hours I've ever worked. I used to average 57 hrs for numerous years.

Good luck finding a 9-5. That's the exception these days. That's not even 40 hrs unless you don't eat.

Over 70

1uyg0v.jpg