Why shouldn't we strike?

rod

Retired 22 years
Just reading some of the "roll over and play dead" posts on here by a few like Upstate I can imagine the company is getting more geared up every day to take stuff away. They would be fools not to when people post such crap about not wanting to strike because they have "enough" already. The last I looked UPS is still making money hand over fists and certainly won't share the wealth if no one wants it.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
A strike today wouldn't be supported by the public as it was 20 yrs ago , your getting paid health care, a pension , and 34 an hour to drive a truck !
34 an hour isn't a lot everywhere in the country. We're a disgustingly busy center where cost of living is insanely high...I wanna strike just so I can fish and drink beer.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The dividend has increased that much in just the past 10 years?
12 years. Yes it has.
image.png

Brownslave688

You can't write H O friend friend A because we had a certain member cry to the mods almost every day because he didn't like what some people were saying about him. So hoax/photog/Monkey Butt got tired of his whining and banned the word.

Thanks a lot Hoax!! ;)
Actually Cheryl censored it and has said she kind of regrets letting the member bully her.

JL 0513

I love when workers complain that the company they work for is having record profits. Um, so you're saying that you would rather work for a company that is just getting by? Just above breaking even?
So when a hiccup comes along, where's your job going to be? This mindset is unbelievable. And don't come back with the CEO pay argument. If you took that all away, it would just be pennies for everyone.

A driver strike today would be ludicrous. At the end of the next contract, we'll be closing in on $40/hr. If anything, UPS is desperate to stop the growth of our compensation. Have to wonder if there is a tipping point for paying delivery drivers so much. Striking as the highest paid people by far in our field is laughable. High pay is usually reserved for a few reasons. Hard to find the skilled individual. The value that a certain person brings to a company. Maybe hard to get someone willing to do a job. UPS driver doesn't really check any of these. No higher education needed and there's wait times years long to go driving.

Run this bright idea by a FedEx driver and see what he does.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I love when workers complain that the company they work for is having record profits. Um, so you're saying that you would rather work for a company that is just getting by? Just above breaking even?
So when a hiccup comes along, where's your job going to be? This mindset is unbelievable. And don't come back with the CEO pay argument. If you took that all away, it would just be pennies for everyone.

A driver strike today would be ludicrous. At the end of the next contract, we'll be closing in on $40/hr. If anything, UPS is desperate to stop the growth of our compensation. Have to wonder if there is a tipping point for paying delivery drivers so much. Striking as the highest paid people by far in our field is laughable. High pay is usually reserved for a few reasons. Hard to find the skilled individual. The value that a certain person brings to a company. Maybe hard to get someone willing to do a job. UPS driver doesn't really check any of these. No higher education needed and there's wait times years long to go driving.

Honestly, unless the government halts the outrageous increases in healthcare, there will always be contentious negotiations.
It's bad enough people fight for a $0 health benefits, but then the people who use it the most get pissed their co-pays go up to cover "free" healthcare.
You can't have it both ways

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You can't write H O friend friend A because we had a certain member cry to the mods almost every day because he didn't like what some people were saying about him. So hoax/photog/Monkey Butt got tired of his whining and banned the word.

Thanks a lot Hoax!! ;)
It was Lead Belly and I can't ban words ... that's in the Administrator Level which is only Cheryl.

clean hairy

Just reading some of the "roll over and play dead" posts on here by a few like Upstate I can imagine the company is getting more geared up every day to take stuff away. They would be fools not to when people post such crap about not wanting to strike because they have "enough" already. The last I looked UPS is still making money hand over fists and certainly won't share the wealth if no one wants it.
They share it with the Stockholders.
But, as Sal said in the Awful Truth about UPS, "how about feeding the little people?"
I would feel if it goes up to $12.50-$13.00 starting for PT, it would help reduce the high rate of turnover...

Brownslave688

I don't know that anyone is really complaining about record profits. Just don't cry broke come contract time when you're making 5-6 billion a year and paying out another 3 billion in divedends.

rod

Retired 22 years

Where/when were these hiccups you speak of? I don't recall UPS EVER having a bad quarter (in the red) in their history--even during strike times. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't know that anyone is really complaining about record profits. Just don't cry broke come contract time when you're making 5-6 billion a year and paying out another 3 billion in divedends.
The dividends come out of the after tax profits.
That's the way public companies work.
Then Capital Expenditures for technology, facilities, planes, trucks, etc.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Exactly. Anything short of status quo should be a no.

In the decade I have been here the dividend has increased 50 cents. That's almost 2 billion dollars more per year the company is paying shareholders than they were 10 years ago.
And the dividend yield is still only 2.83 percent.
I own no UPS stock because it does not meet my minimum criteria of 3% annual yield on dividends.

PT Car Washer

They share it with the Stockholders.
But, as Sal said in the Awful Truth about UPS, "how about feeding the little people?"
I would feel if it goes up to $12.50-$13.00 starting for PT, it would help reduce the high rate of turnover...
$13/hr for starting PT is nothing compared to the tremendous turn over. $15/hr and maybe UPS could have a stable workforce which would save money over the short and long term. FT may have to take a wage freeze over the short term to make it work and not sure if that is doable. No such thing as Union solidarity anymore and that will be the Teamsters downfall.

Brownslave688

And the dividend yield is still only 2.83 percent.
I own no UPS stock because it does not meet my minimum criteria of 3% annual yield on dividends.
Yeah I mean it's cool that it's going up. Just don't cry poor like I said.

oh yeah all of that money spent on buy backs also ;)