wild weather

moreluck

golden ticket member
We were glued to the weather chanel last night. Our son and his family plus exteded family in Kansas. All ok, no damage or injuries. Hubby's cousins were helping a neighbor of theirs clean up damage last night. No injuries that I know of thank goodness. Scary stuff....when you keep hearing the towns your family live in mentioned in the tornado's path.
Why do the worst storms want to come after dark?

klein

Für Meno :)
I can picture panels flying and becoming weapons in a Cat 3 or 4. Maybe I'll suggest it for the next final destination movie.

If a house and a brick school can't stand up in a tornado, then what makes you think panels will be there still??

Do you think houses are not standing now, that don't have power, because a few miles away the power lines are down ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you think houses are not standing now, that don't have power, because a few miles away the power lines are down ?

What good are the solar panels if the roof they are attached to is a mile down the road? Excess power is fed back through the meter so there is no stored electricity available to the homeowner.

bigbrownhen

Everything is a flying weapon in a tornado. I have seen playing cards sunk half way into a large tree trunk. Just duck and cover is all you can do. When one hits in your area, you could careless about power outages, lines around here get replaced/repaired quickly. Only time it didn't was the ice storm of 07. Just too large of an area was affected. Debris is very dangerous, nails, metal, glass everywhere. Alot of injuries occur after the tornado when people are working/moving around the damage.

klein

You are wrong, atleast our home solar sytems come with battery packs. Once the battery pack is filled (charged), then the surplus goes back into the grid.
The battery back-up can be as large as you want and need it. It will last normally a few nights, but gets refilled during the day, anyways.

moreluck

golden ticket member
You are wrong, atleast our home solar sytems come with battery packs. Once the battery pack is filled (charged), then the surplus goes back into the grid.
The battery back-up can be as large as you want and need it. It will last normally a few nights, but gets refilled during the day, anyways.
Some people are absolutely clueless to the definition of utter destruction and devastation.

bigbrownhen

Klein, honestly.....when your entire house is in pieces spread over a few square miles, power is the least of your concerns. Good luck finding an outlet to plug something into in the first place.

moreluck

golden ticket member
And some people are not aware that a tornedo doesn't even have to hit a town or city, but still can cause power failure for a few days.
Raised in Ohio, I know more about tornadoes than I want to and I've hidden in the basement many, many times each year awaiting the "big one".

menotyou

bella amicizia
Had an ice storm hit just north thru most of eastern canada that didn't cause any damage here, but I had no power for 6 days, 12 hours, and 42 minutes. LOL!!! Kidding!!!! It was 6 and half days, though.

klein

Just watching the news now, in an Oklahoma town only 6 houses have been destoyed, but sadly 5 deaths.
Do you think those unharmed homes have power today ?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Just watching the news now, in an Oklahoma town only 6 houses have been destoyed, but sadly 5 deaths.
Do you think those unharmed homes have power today ?

That's like asking, "Do you think the water after Katrina was OK to drink when there was dead people floating in it ?

bigbrownhen

I think the moral of the story is......Five people are dead, families grieving and picking up what ever pieces they can and Klein is trying to make a moot point about loss of power.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Fresno, CA Friday April 13th, 2012 They got a lot of snow in the last couple days above 4000 feet elevation.
52-800.jpg

​What a great picture.