Will Hall distance himself from Hoffa as 2016 gets closer

Ron Carey lives on

So we have conflicting stories, as most of the time on brown cafe. So whoever runs on the Ups contract, will they spin it as a victory or survival? The National was barely passed, and supplements were arbitrarily pushed through. I just wondering what the back pages of Teamster magizine will look like for the hoffa/hall team or hall/O'Brien team when campaigning

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

As I have said before, im not turning card in because of who is general president. There will be a lot of disgruntled votes out there. Just wondering how Hoffa hall will play it

Sent using BrownCafe App

andrsnbkj

Many of us won't make it with this company to see a 25 years of service another 3 I'll see 20 years then time to do something different sad to say

Sent using BrownCafe App

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
So whoever runs on the Ups contract, will they spin it as a victory or survival? The National was barely passed, and supplements were arbitrarily pushed through. I just wondering what the back pages of Teamster magizine will look like for the hoffa/hall team or hall/O team when campaigning.

You do realize....

Only 1/5 of the IBT, are UPS members. Of that, only 35% even vote.

The incumbents know it. Any challengers, should know it.

Even if, Fred and Sandy could put a whole slate together....

Do you think they can "pony up" $500,000 to $600,000 to run a international campaign ??

I'll say it, here and now.

Fred, Sandy, and company.... are only interested in getting re-elected in their Local.

They know they can't win the IBT election. But.... they can win their Local Union election.

And, that is all they really want.

Welcome, to Union politics.

-Bug-

959Nanook

I quite agree with the view that the UPS NMA will likely be inconsequential in the IBT election. UPSers are poorly organized as a constituency in IBT and don't have the necessary solidarity to substantially impact a Contract without Hall leadership let alone an IBT election. The biggest impact on the last NMA was rejection of the first offer and negotiating the transfer of coverage from the Company to the Teamsters in lieu of the first offer.

What makes some UPSers think that Local unions with no UPSers will give any cares for the NMA? What makes some UPSers think that that non-UPSers in Local unions with UPSers are concerned enough with UPS's NMA for it to affect non-UPSers votes? For that matter, what makes anyone think that UPSers as a constituency in the IBT election are going to vote as a bloc based on the NMA? We don't have agreement in a small group like this thread and the majority of UPSers who voted the NMA voted for the NMA.

If anything, Hall should run on the NMA because he can easily make the case with the majority of UPSers and even bigger majority of non-UPSers that he secured the healthcare of UPSers previously covered by the Company and prevented an attack on all UPSer's healthcare that was contained in the first Company offer.

I doubt the opposition to whatever Hall slate materializes is willing to make the necessary sacrifices to see the IBT election through to a successful end for the opposition. Personally, I would be inspired if they were willing to make the necessary sacrifices and would lend zealous support to a unified slate. My vote in the last IBT election was a throw away vote.

Ron Carey lives on

So I ask again, will it read " we won a great contract at ups" . Or will it read " we survived a severe a-- whooping by ups, you all should be thankful for it. Now quit crying and elect us again!"

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

Oh bug, you have no idea what I know about union politics. From the standpoint that we had no authorized strike power throughout negotiations, it is a good contract. How can you negotiate without "the hammer". Im really surprised we got what we got. As ups heads towards its largest peak, should I duck my head and say " ok, you did the best you could mr. Hoffa" :censored2: that

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited by a moderator:

Brown Spider

You do realize....

Only 1/5 of the IBT, are UPS members. Of that, only 35% even vote.

The incumbents know it. Any challengers, should know it.

Even if, Fred and Sandy could put a whole slate together....

Do you think they can "pony up" $500,000 to $600,000 to run a international campaign ??

I'll say it, here and now.

Fred, Sandy, and company.... are only interested in getting re-elected in their Local.

They know they can't win the IBT election. But.... they can win their Local Union election.

And, that is all they really want.

Welcome, to Union politics.

-Bug-

Bug...are you saying that "Fred, Sandy, and company" could not win their local elections unless they ran for International office? What do you base that on? It really doesn't make much sense.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Bug...are you saying that "Fred, Sandy, and company" could not win their local elections unless they ran for International office? What do you base that on? It really doesn't make much sense.

Sent using BrownCafe App
No I think he's saying that their elections are approaching and they are going to need to get their house in order at home.

Ron Carey lives on

Dude I honestly don't care what you say about my posts bo, so anyway dude you can carry on with your complete denial of a concessionary contract

Sent using BrownCafe App

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Bug...are you saying that "Fred, Sandy, and company" could not win their local elections unless they ran for International office?

It's a subterfuge, to assist being re-elected in their Local.

And that's a harsh criticism. But, pretty close to the reality of Local Union politics.

What do you base that on?

Personal experience. :biggrin:

Some people (not all).... once elected, will do anything to stay in office.

No I think he's saying that their elections are approaching and they are going to need to get their house in order at home.

Exactly.

Look at it this way.

If you're running for re-election in your Local.... (With the current political climate in the Union)

Do you base your platform on supporting the IBT ?

Or, jump on the bandwagon saying "we" got screwed. Thus.... eliminating any competition.

Think about it.

-Bug-

O/C

Hate to say it but Bug is right about any change with the International leadership, once these guys get in it they are hard to remove (by election). Most have to be removed by outside forces. If by some miracle UPS membership ever voted as a block change is possible. Carey did it in the early 90's, but you need a viable candidate. Do not see one on the horizon yet.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

When you get in survival mode in negotiations, it only gets worse. Guys about to retire should care as much as a new employee. Ups senses it has the upper hand on the ibt. 4 years to top out ? Think about that, they made their raises back right there? Keep your blinders on. You know we got screwed

Sent using BrownCafe App

When you get in survival mode in negotiations, it only gets worse. Guys about to retire should care as much as a new employee. Ups senses it has the upper hand on the ibt. 4 years to top out ? Think about that, they made their raises back right there? Keep your blinders on. You know we got screwed

Sent using BrownCafe App
Are you speaking from your vast life experiences?

959Nanook

Sent using BrownCafe App

Teamster's eyes widen when I am asked what the scale is for UPS. It also takes them longer to reach top scale. Not sure how much sympathy you expect to garner but I can think of a lot of Teamsters in my Local that would shrug, laugh, or get red in the face if I told them in the same breathe, "We got screwed" when I answer what the UPS scale is.

710 steward

Teamster's eyes widen when I am asked what the scale is for UPS. It also takes them longer to reach top scale. Not sure how much sympathy you expect to garner but I can think of a lot of Teamsters in my Local that would shrug, laugh, or get red in the face if I told them in the same breathe, "We got screwed" when I answer what the UPS scale is.

They shouldn't. We are the reason their pension fund is still alive.