Will Hall distance himself from Hoffa as 2016 gets closer

By The Book

We're getting more involved in ours. We'll see where that goes.

It's got to get better for a lot of dues paying members.
Seems like my local works harder to stay together than to put the members first. My thoughts are if you represent the members and honor the contract( same for everyone) then the members will re elect you.

Ron Carey lives on

Bo, I have never once on any post said that I didn't have a good union job. As a third generation union member, I have seen it all. I simply asked if people thought Hall would try to ride Hoffa 's name to office. Or would he play on all his experience, including his role with Carey. This isn't Tdu vs old guard. Just an honest question

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

People are quick to think everything has to be drama on brown cafe. Just wanted some input on the election ( an honest debate) i probably don't have the years in as bo, but I do have 20 in. I have been involved in union activities every single day I punch in, with all kinds of ups teamsters

Sent using BrownCafe App

Ron Carey lives on

My local is very pro hoffa. But they respect me, and I respect their positions. We work together to get the best settlements we can on every issue. I did not vote for the contract because it did not reflect the company's success. Their success comes from us, not bean counters in Atlanta

Sent using BrownCafe App

959Nanook

My local is very pro hoffa. But they respect me, and I respect their positions. We work together to get the best settlements we can on every issue. I did not vote for the contract because it did not reflect the company's success. Their success comes from us, not bean counters in Atlanta.

Curious... how much of the financial success is actually from work performed by Teamsters? I am dead serious and don't know the answer but I do know that UPS has diverse global operations and much of the corporate operations around the globe and domestic operations to a lesser extent do not involve Teamsters. Where are the profit margins on work done by Teamsters versus other corporate operations?

My point being that UPS is not just a privately held company with Ground Service conducted by Teamsters any more. UPS is a global logistics corporation. "Logistics" includes much more than it has during past Contract negotiations. How much of the pie did Teamsters contribute?

Once we know that answer then we might be able to have a more informed discussion about how much of the harvest should be reaped by the Teamsters. Should it be the only determinant... of course not. I work in a "Cost Center". Due to accounting methods, we lose millions of dollars so millions of dollars can be made elsewhere. That example on a small scale has applications on a larger scale as well.

Irishman Collins

Curious... how much of the financial success is actually from work performed by Teamsters? I am dead serious and don't know the answer but I do know that UPS has diverse global operations and much of the corporate operations around the globe and domestic operations to a lesser extent do not involve Teamsters. Where are the profit margins on work done by Teamsters versus other corporate operations?

My point being that UPS is not just a privately held company with Ground Service conducted by Teamsters any more. UPS is a global logistics corporation. "Logistics" includes much more than it has during past Contract negotiations. How much of the pie did Teamsters contribute?

Once we know that answer then we might be able to have a more informed discussion about how much of the harvest should be reaped by the Teamsters. Should it be the only determinant... of course not. I work in a "Cost Center". Due to accounting methods, we lose millions of dollars so millions of dollars can be made elsewhere. That example on a small scale has applications on a larger scale as well.
It's pretty simple isn't it? If you pay peanuts you will profit more, but somehow U.P.S. on the backs of mostly Teamsters seems to be experiencing historical record profits. I am sure folks like you think that the company needs to profit even more than they currently do. You see this is the reason we need the Union because greedy companies and people with your attitude can't be trusted to pay a fair wage.

10 point

UPS's reputation was built on the backs of hardworking Teamsters before UPS Logistics, etc was even thought of.

That is the platform by which the company gets the respect and "brand" from.

If not, they'd ditch the efficient ground system that IS UPS. IMO.

UPS's reputation was built on the backs of hardworking Teamsters before UPS Logistics, etc was even thought of.

Just like the hiring spree,that Is going on now. they cut it to the bone, for years! and now its "oh schitz" we dont have enough qualified people or trucks!

Hmm.

959Nanook

It's pretty simple isn't it? If you pay peanuts you will profit more, but somehow U.P.S. on the backs of mostly Teamsters seems to be experiencing historical record profits. I am sure folks like you think that the company needs to profit even more than they currently do. You see this is the reason we need the Union because greedy companies and people with your attitude can't be trusted to pay a fair wage.

Can't read the post? Just throw insults and mud in the hope that it sticks because you can't have a rational discussion and answer the question. NO, it is not simple and your rhetorical question demonstrates how thoughtful you are. I will assume you are not a driver and your discussion is aimed at the plight of part-timers or it is otherwise nearly impossible to take you serious about peanut pay. Did you not notice where I addressed a part-timer work conditions that impacts a part-timer's ability to make a living wage in this very thread?

What exactly is "people" like me? How the hell do you know my attitude about a fair wage? What exactly is a fair wage? Are wages the only component of compensation? What exactly is fair compensation?

959Nanook

How many decades have UPS employees been represented by the Teamsters? Were our forebears not compensated for their hard work? Does UPS not offer trendsetting wages for drivers and trendsetting compensation for all of its bargaining unit employees? The labor market in the industry is a free market outside of UPS so you can offer your labor elsewhere if you feel it is unjust at UPS.

Is it as simple as ditching the Ground service even if UPS wanted to? You are entitled to an opinion. What are the facts? The intent of my post was clearly not to solicit opinions.

959Nanook

Just like the hiring spree,that Is going on now. they cut it to the bone, for years! and now its "oh schitz" we dont have enough qualified people or trucks!

Hmm.

UPS will be rewarded or punished by its customers and owners (i.e. share holders) for that. We, as Teamsters, have negotiated a Contract that agrees that we are to work as directed. If we want to influence the situation then there is a clear path that leads out of bargaining unit work where one is not contractually obligated to work as directed.

I would not have cut to the bone and my first line supervisors would not have either if I understand them correctly. It is a royal pain in their :censored2: to get us back to where we need to be but it isn't my problem and I am paid very well when I work overtime while having options for relief from overtime if I don't want overtime. Seriously... what more can a driver ask for?

The plight of part-timers is a concern in my opinion; however, it was negotiated by both sides and ratified by the measly few of us that bother to vote. I have not voted "Yes" for an NMA.

10 point

How many decades have UPS employees been represented by the Teamsters? Were our forebears not compensated for their hard work? Does UPS not offer trendsetting wages for drivers and trendsetting compensation for all of its bargaining unit employees? The labor market in the industry is a free market outside of UPS so you can offer your labor elsewhere if you feel it is unjust at UPS.

Is it as simple as ditching the Ground service even if UPS wanted to? You are entitled to an opinion. What are the facts? The intent of my post was clearly not to solicit opinions.
You missed the point.
Sorry bud, opinions are free here.

Nice rant tho.

Last edited:

10 point

By the way, when you start your post with a question you normally get an answer. Try leaving the question mark off and see if that helps your stress level.