will our negotiators actually use the strike authorization?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Does anybody know how many voted?

Great question..why isn't it presented? "Warning Will Robinson Warning" Those in the know is there any percentage need in the Union Bylaws that could force a contract even if a majority of it's members who did vote rejected it.

Inthegame

Great question..why isn't it presented? "Warning Will Robinson Warning" Those in the know is there any percentage need in the Union Bylaws that could force a contract even if a majority of it's members who did vote rejected it.
For all the pertinent details, read the IBT Constitution Art XII Sec 2. (on the Teamsters and TDU websites)

For the cliff notes version, if over 50% of eligible members vote on the NMA, it's a simple majority to accept or reject. If less than 50% vote, 2/3 need to reject.

The NM Negotiation Committee and the GP have wide latitude according to the Constitution in the second scenario.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
For all the pertinent details, read the IBT Constitution Art XII Sec 2. (on the Teamsters and TDU websites)

For the cliff notes version, if over 50% of eligible members vote on the NMA, it's a simple majority to accept or reject. If less than 50% vote, 2/3 need to reject.

The NM Negotiation Committee and the GP have wide latitude according to the Constitution in the second scenario.
I would love to know the history and thought process that lead to the inception of that Constitutional language???

Also, isn't Article 12, section 6 of the IBT Constitution another "trap door" provision that also allows for the General Executive Board to set aside a majority vote???

~The General Executive Board is empowered to amend, delete, or add to this Article if at any time it believes such action will be in the interests of the International Union or its subordinate bodies.~

....didn't we learn this when 3 supplements were imposed during the last UPS contract "negotiations"???

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I would love to know the history and thought process that lead to the inception of that Constitutional language?

Isn't that part of TDU's "claim to fame" ?

Also, isn't Article 12, section 6 of the IBT Constitution another "trap door" provision that also allows for the General Executive Board to set aside a majority vote???

~The General Executive Board is empowered to amend, delete, or add to this Article if at any time it believes such action will be in the interests of the International Union or its subordinate bodies.

Doesn't that coincide with Article 12 section 2(a) ?

I thought the general thought process was....

The IBT didn't file the paperwork to authorize a strike and the E-Board rectified that slip-up.

At least, that's what FZ was espousing.

-Bug-

bowhnterdon

Has there ever been a contract where over 50% voted? The 2/3 no vote required under that threshold scares me. Enforcement of the Master agreement would be disastrous for the Union, especially in the RTW states..

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I would love to know the history and thought process that lead to the inception of that Constitutional language???
I don't know, is it???
You seem to be "all knowing" when it comes to TDU....

I've told you repeatedly, I don't belong to TDU, never have, so why the constant innuendo?

The IBT didn't file the paperwork to authorize a strike and the E-Board rectified that slip-up.

I don't think that was ever disputed, by anybody???

~Bbbl~™

Tony Q

Doesn't that coincide with Article 12 section 2(a) ?

-Bug-
Fred back then said Sean was part of that whole process, if I'm not mistaken.

Tony Q

Has there ever been a contract where over 50% voted? The 2/3 no vote required under that threshold scares me. Enforcement of the Master agreement would be disastrous for the Union, especially in the RTW states..
This will be the contract where over 50% voted!

Just kidding!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I don't know, is it?

Yep.

That info is on their website.

I told you repeatedly, I don't belong to TDU, never have, so why the constant innuendo?

It's like a nervous tic.... kind of what I do ?

Seriously, it wasn't directed at you. I assume it's general knowledge.

I don't think that was ever disputed, by anybody?

I threw that in there, because of all the crackpot ideas and conspiracy theory's I read on here.

Maybe it would help others understand.

If I haven't mentioned it before;

The reason I have such disdain for TDU.... is because my Local was known as a TDU Local

back in the days of R Carey. I saw first hand, what a bunch of idiots they were and the

devastating conséquences it had on the members of my Local.

It still pisses me off. ;)

-Bug-