WORDS

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I am posting this in Lighten UPS for a reason. Maybe it's time for us to LIGHTEN UP. There has been a lot of denigration going on for quite some time. I guess it is a matter of 'Tis the Season'. I am googling (OMG I'm actually using google, like that's a bad thing) the word denigrate. I use google to support and add to, my position, to verify what I know denigrate to mean.

The following is from Merriam - Webster:

[h=2]den·i·grate[/h] transitive verb \ˈde-ni-ˌgrāt\
den·i·grat·edden·i·grat·ing

[h=2]Definition of DENIGRATE[/h]1
: to attack the reputation of : defame <denigrate one's opponents>

: to deny the importance or validity of : belittle <denigratetheir achievements>
den·i·gra·tion noun
den·i·gra·tive adjective
den·i·gra·tor noun
den·i·gra·to·ry adjective

[h=2]Examples of DENIGRATE[/h]
  • Her story denigrates him as a person and as a teacher.
  • No one is trying to denigrate the importance of a good education. We all know that it is crucial for success.
  • denigrating the talents and achievements of women

[h=2]Origin of DENIGRATE[/h]Latin denigratus, past participle of denigrare, from de- +nigrare to blacken, from nigr-, niger blackFirst Known Use: 1526

[h=2]Related to DENIGRATE[/h]Synonyms: bad-mouth, belittle, cry down, decry,deprecate, depreciate, derogate, diminish, dis (also diss) [slang], discount, dismiss, disparage, kiss off, minimize, play down, poor-mouth, put down, run down, talk down, trash,trash-talk, vilipend, write off
Antonyms: acclaim, applaud, exalt, extol (also extoll),glorify, laud, magnify, praise

[+]more

This one is from Dictionary.com

[h=2]den·i·grate[/h]   [den-i-greyt] Show IPA
verb (used with object), den·i·grat·ed, den·i·grat·ing.1.to speak damagingly of; criticize in a derogatory manner;sully; defame: to denigrate someone's character.

2.to treat or represent as lacking in value or importance;belittle; disparage: to denigrate someone's contributions to aproject.

3.to make black; blacken: rain clouds denigrating the sky.

Origin:
1520–30; < Latin dēnigrātus (past participle of dēnigrāre toblacken), equivalent to dē- de- + nigr ( āre ) to make black + -ātus-ate[SUP]1[/SUP]

Related formsden·i·gra·tion, noun
den·i·gra·tive, adjective
den·i·gra·tor, noun
den·i·gra·to·ry [den-i-gruh-tawr-ee, -tohr-ee] Show IPA,adjective
self-den·i·grat·ing, adjective
EXPAND
Synonyms
1. malign, besmirch, slander, traduce, disparage, vilify. See decry.

One might think that I am singling out one particular person and though this is directed to that person, it is not meant for that person alone. There are many people that denigrate others, myself included on occasion. We all have our niche's here. We all fill a need, either for ourselves or for someone else.

Feel free to post your word, and of course GOOGLE is absolutely necessary!!
:happy-very:

Nimnim

The Nim
Why must you pick on me like this?! There's no way this thread wasn't about me!
th_107_.gif

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don't Google, so I used Yahoo.....

de·grade

   
1. to lower in dignity or estimation; bring into contempt: He felt they were degrading him by making him report to the supervisor.

2. to lower in character or quality; debase.

3. to reduce (someone) to a lower rank, degree, etc.; deprive of office, rank, status, or title, especially as a punishment: degraded from director to assistant director.

4. to reduce in amount, strength, intensity, etc.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
LOL Actually I Bing but it's all the same thing. Sounds like denigrate and degrade aren't exactly the same thing.

I'm not perfect by far. I'm a little overweight at the moment but it is football season. Is I am guilty of this then why don't you start a campaign for upstate to finally accept my friend request and this forum will see a recovery that it has never seen. I'm the good steward and my experience will rub off on this forum and pay it forward in a way that we would all aw. Do it pretty lady from Arizona.

moreluck

golden ticket member
When I saw this word I knew it was something to eat that involved apples..........

Æbleskiver (Danish meaning apple slices (singular: æbleskive)) are traditional Danish pancakes in a distinctive shape of a sphere. Somewhat similar in texture to American pancakes crossed with a popover, æbleskiver are solid like a pancake but light and fluffy like a popover. The English language spelling is usually aebleskiver or ebleskiver.