Working inside a Mall

542thruNthru

So then if all this is true, what happens after the 4 months, back to local sort? Would I not atleast get a chance to prove myself as a driver because then again I did apply for 'full time driver's bid

If it's all true you'd probably go back to local sort for a little bit till things picked up. Then they would put you on a training route to qualify. It's not as bad of a thing as it sounds. You're going to get a lot of good experience that will help you qualify.

AndrewK

If it's all true you'd probably go back to local sort for a little bit till things picked up. Then they would put you on a training route to qualify. It's not as bad of a thing as it sounds. You're going to get a lot of good experience that will help you qualify.

How different/difficult in comparsion is a mall route to a normal training route, say for the sake of this convo for trying to qualify

So then if all this is true, what happens after the 4 months, back to local sort? Would I not atleast get a chance to prove myself as a driver because then again I did apply for 'full time driver's bid
Chances are after Peak you will not have another opportunity to qualify until Spring. Can't lay off FT drivers for someone trying to qualify. Of course a lot has to do with out badly your center needs drivers. But they have let you wait 6 months so far. You are not even delivering Saturdays or helping during the week as an air exception driver?

AndrewK

Chances are after Peak you will not have another opportunity to qualify until Spring. Can't lay off FT drivers for someone trying to qualify. Of course a lot has to do with out badly your center needs drivers. But they have let you wait 6 months os far. You are not even delivering Saturdays or helping during the week as an air exception driver?

Nope. I helped another driver do the mall for one day like 3 months ago and that's pretty much it. I dont even remember half the stuff I learned during the couple hours of driving school class half a year ago.

542thruNthru

How different/difficult in comparsion is a mall route to a normal training route, say for the sake of this convo for trying to qualify

Well a mall route is going to be 7 to 10 docks and 2 or 3 park positions. Not much to learn really.

A training route will have a mixture of comm and resi and a much larger area to learn.

AndrewK

Chances are after Peak you will not have another opportunity to qualify until Spring. Can't lay off FT drivers for someone trying to qualify. Of course a lot has to do with out badly your center needs drivers. But they have let you wait 6 months so far. You are not even delivering Saturdays or helping during the week as an air exception driver?

Also, one of the guys who went with me at the driving school was given a 'priority' training run and hes passed his probation already.

Last edited:

tramtwo

Its a blast...

Attachments

• 0823191342.jpg
    0823191342.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 170

GenericUsername

I love our local mall route. It's actually my favorite route in the whole center. With exception of one of the shoe stores, the rest of the shoe stores are all back door deliveries, and they help. All I have to do is put the box at the end of Bertha and they grab it from there. As for the rest of the mall, it's only like 7 or 8 cart loads typically. 11 miles total round trip, so the driving isn't too bad. I made friends years ago with all the managers in most of the stores so the delivery process is simple and nobody gives me crap. If they do, I just talk to the manager and the next time I come in the person I had an issue with is on board with getting me in and out as fast as possible. The scenery is great. There's always a place to eat. The bathrooms are everywhere, and if you really know the mall route, you know where the always clean one is. Oh, and when you need to get done early, generally most/all of the stores are on board to get me out of there asap since I bust my hump to get it done (all deliveries done by 1-2pm normally).

Also, @tramtwo , UPS will provide a specialized hand cart for your mall route if you ask about it. It's not like the breakdown carts that you're using in that picture at all. It's two separate pieces of galvanized aluminum (I think?) with 5 wheels (it'll turn on a dime with one finger) that come together to make one cart that's about 2.5 feet wide and 5 feet long. The thing is a dream. It'll hold something like 18 of those larger boxes for Foot Locker/Champs, but only like 9 of the large ones for Finish Line.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I love our local mall route. It's actually my favorite route in the whole center. With exception of one of the shoe stores, the rest of the shoe stores are all back door deliveries, and they help. All I have to do is put the box at the end of Bertha and they grab it from there. As for the rest of the mall, it's only like 7 or 8 cart loads typically. 11 miles total round trip, so the driving isn't too bad. I made friends years ago with all the managers in most of the stores so the delivery process is simple and nobody gives me crap. If they do, I just talk to the manager and the next time I come in the person I had an issue with is on board with getting me in and out as fast as possible. The scenery is great. There's always a place to eat. The bathrooms are everywhere, and if you really know the mall route, you know where the always clean one is. Oh, and when you need to get done early, generally most/all of the stores are on board to get me out of there asap since I bust my hump to get it done (all deliveries done by 1-2pm normally).

Also, @tramtwo , UPS will provide a specialized hand cart for your mall route if you ask about it. It's not like the breakdown carts that you're using in that picture at all. It's two separate pieces of galvanized aluminum (I think?) with 5 wheels (it'll turn on a dime with one finger) that come together to make one cart that's about 2.5 feet wide and 5 feet long. The thing is a dream. It'll hold something like 18 of those larger boxes for Foot Locker/Champs, but only like 9 of the large ones for Finish Line.
And the people will give you deals on things. Also, while all the other poor schlubs are driving around in circles at Christmas time looking for somewhere to park, parking is never a problem for you.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Any tips on what it's like working inside a mall? I've been on local sort for about a year and a half now. I passed my road test and ups driving school 6 months ago..and will soon be starting a mall route, just before peak season. Any tips or general info based off experience would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Count on ringing the receiving bell and getting no answer.

KOG72

I’m full of it
Any tips on what it's like working inside a mall? I've been on local sort for about a year and a half now. I passed my road test and ups driving school 6 months ago..and will soon be starting a mall route, just before peak season. Any tips or general info based off experience would be greatly appreciated, thank you
The times I worked in a mall I really enjoyed pulling the cart around while I was eating on an ice cream cone....easy money weather conditions great.

oldngray

nowhere special
The times I worked in a mall I really enjoyed pulling the cart around while I was eating on an ice cream cone....easy money weather conditions great.

Mall routes can be great - if they leave you with just mall work. Too often they will throw garbage from other routes for you to deliver after you finish your own work.