Working kinda late ain't ya?

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I get tickled at some of the folks in the small communities I deliver to. With it getting pitch black at 5:30 I still have an hour to work in the dark before I even get 8 hours in. We don't start till 9:30 am.

Customers wouldn't think twice if it were 8pm and still daylight outside.

I had a guy the other day comment that "he wouldn't have my job." I told him "Yeah..... most people are that way. Thats why they have to pay us over 28 bucks an hour" The look on his face was priceless.

Overpaid Union Thug

I get tickled at some of the folks in the small communities I deliver to. With it getting pitch black at 5:30 I still have an hour to work in the dark before I even get 8 hours in. We don't start till 9:30 am.

Customers wouldn't think twice if it were 8pm and still daylight outside.

I had a guy the other day comment that "he wouldn't have my job." I told him "Yeah..... most people are that way. Thats why they have to pay us over 28 bucks an hour" The look on his face was priceless.

I had a customer comment about how late it was last night (it was only 6:15) and I told him that wasn't late and that I was barely into overtime. He asked me what time we start and I tod him 8:30 and he claimed that we started too late. What a loon.

Box_Junkie

Yeah that gets 'em everytime! I can't believe how many people try to treat me like a pizza guy that makes barely over minimum wage, like they're better than me. They then act like they have a chip on their shoulder when they find out I make almost twice per year more than them.

Then I'm getting real annoyed with people that say "thats stupid" when they find out they can't just walk in and get a driver job. I feel this way because I had to work from the bottom and I feel like I earned my position and am better at it because of working PT for years.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
Yeah that gets 'em everytime! I can't believe how many people try to treat me like a pizza guy that makes barely over minimum wage, like they're better than me. They then act like they have a chip on their shoulder when they find out I make almost twice per year more than them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets this vibe from people. Receptionists treating us like we're lepers or something. Makes me want to smash things . . .

But to answer the OP's post, yeah it's funny how many times I hear "Workin' late tonight?" When it's not even 6 p.m. yet. I usually just reply, yeah, and I started at 6 this morning.

25yrvet

There's some pretty good blue collar jobs in my area & the people that have them kinda feel me out about my job. They'll have a smirk on their face when I deliver after 7 to their house. "Yep, 70 cents a minute" . That usually shuts 'em up, if not, the 7 weeks vacation does.

jason67rs

When it's after 5 and they say working late, I tell them I'm the second shift 3-11 and they usually say "that makes sense."

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Delivered to a heavy set old lady who is a retired school bus driver that lives about a hour drive to town. She said I think I'm going to come down and get me a job driving a UPS package car. I use to drive the bus and it can't be that hard. I said it's not if you can carry a refrigerator up three flights of stairs by yourself and do that about 20 times a hour for about 11 hours you will do fine. On top of driving all the way from out of town every day. That shut her up.
:wheelchai

Cementups

Box Monkey

I get on occassion. It was worse when I was a more business oriented route. Receptionist and secretaries would put there noses in the air and treat you like crap cause you're just a dumb truck driver afterall.

Then I'm getting real annoyed with people that say "thats stupid" when they find out they can't just walk in and get a driver job. I feel this way because I had to work from the bottom and I feel like I earned my position and am better at it because of working PT for years.

This goes along with my idiot loader who when asked why he doesn't do hisjust instead of just throwing the packages in the middle of the floor instead of where they belong, his relpy is, "Those guys get paid $30/hr, why can't they do it?" My response is, "Hey :censored2:, I've worked here for 14 years and put 11 of that into driving. I'm pretty sure I earned that $30/hr."

Here is said loaders recent attempt. This load had 8 Walked In Wrong Cars...the new term for misloads.

IMG00067.jpg

JustTired

free at last.......
I love the air in the 7000 charted area.

Picture is taken from the bulkhead door.

Hey CementUPS..........Hope you went out with more than that. I can see tha back doors. I haven't left the building with that look in years. Load does look typical, though. A far cry from those training videos we always see.:wink2:

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I love the air in the 7000 charted area.

Maybe that's how things are done in New York, just kidding. Maybe he was out all night at his local UPS Christmas party and wasn't seeing too straight. I have seen drivers that keep the hand cart all the way in the rear of their car!

brownman15

cementups i would be glad to have have a load like that been going out with 10 cube loaded to the ceiling down the isle 300 plus stops and about 450-500 pkgs cannot imagine what this week is gonna be like

Cementups

Box Monkey
There is usually about 170 stops in my truck. You should have seen it on Thursday It looked EMPTY. Nothing bigger than a shoebox that day. 170 stops and it was mostly all bags of clothes. I have a pretty rural route that is 90-95% DR.

There is usually about 170 stops in my truck. You should have seen it on Thursday It looked EMPTY. Nothing bigger than a shoebox that day. 170 stops and it was mostly all bags of clothes. I have a pretty rural route that is 90-95% DR.
How many miles per day?

Overpaid Union Thug

I get on occassion. It was worse when I was a more business oriented route. Receptionist and secretaries would put there noses in the air and treat you like crap cause you're just a dumb truck driver afterall.

This goes along with my idiot loader who when asked why he doesn't do hisjust instead of just throwing the packages in the middle of the floor instead of where they belong, his relpy is, "Those guys get paid $30/hr, why can't they do it?" My response is, "Hey :censored2:, I've worked here for 14 years and put 11 of that into driving. I'm pretty sure I earned that $30/hr."

Here is said loaders recent attempt. This load had 8 Walked In Wrong Cars...the new term for misloads.

IMG00067.jpg

I see that your preloader hasn't been properly trained either. Notice the waste of space. I wonder how many of those packages that are scattered in the floor could have fit on the shelves if the loader had made better use of that space. The front in the 2000 section is almost a void.

local804

Now I know that is bad and all but atleast you have some breathing room in that pig. Walk down any one of our boxlines at 8 am and if you had a choice, you would take your truck over ANY of ours on almost any given day. What type of truck is that with the metal rear door? A half fully loaded 700 at peak? unheard of