Working over 70 hours as Driver Helpers

YUOVER95

I’m in the Central States and our Center hasn’t been bumped to 70 DOT Hours yet. So I maxed out my 60 on Friday, they forced almost all drivers in on Saturday even the ones with no hours and used us as helpers. So I rode with a guy on Saturday that still had over 14 hours. My time card shows 70+ hours. Is there any language about being on the clock must not exceed 70 hours? Or should I just shut up and take their double time money?

WTFm8

I’m in the Central States and our Center hasn’t been bumped to 70 DOT Hours yet. So I maxed out my 60 on Friday, they forced almost all drivers in on Saturday even the ones with no hours and used us as helpers. So I rode with a guy on Saturday that still had over 14 hours. My time card shows 70+ hours. Is there any language about being on the clock must not exceed 70 hours? Or should I just shut up and take their double time money?

Nothing.

Just cant drive over 14per day, 60/70 per week. Lunch and paid breaks don’t count toward the 60/70, only the 14hr daily time. Need 34hr reset of not working at all to start 60/70 over.

Dough99

Shut up and take the money

If you are a RPCD they can't force you to work a 6th punch if you don't have 8 hours available

Article 26

But since you worked there a lot of double time money.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What double time money?

You don't get double time per Article 26, unless the Company switches to the "70 Hour" driving rule?
If you are a RPCD they can't force you to work a 6th punch if you don't have 8 hours available

Article 26

....and again, that new Article 26 language doesn't apply unless the Cimpany switches to the "70 Hour" driving rule, which the OP clearly states they did not.

At least that's how I read it....and hope i am wrong.

What double time money?

You don't get double time per Article 26, unless the Company switches to the "70 Hour" driving rule?

....and again, that new Article 26 language doesn't apply unless the Cimpany switches to the "70 Hour" driving rule, which the OP clearly states they did not.

They always find a loophole.

Whither

Scofflaw
What double time money?

All of us concerned should ask our BAs this morning.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE

Article 26

My center was very coy and vague about this past Saturday, we have not gone to 70 hr rule and I was at 59 hours after punch out Friday. Saturday I simply called and asked if I was being forced in, they said no have a good weekend.
I’m pretty sure about 20 of my low seniority brothers went in because they made it seem like we were getting forced, without actually saying it.
Moral of the story; know the contract, get a straight answer

My center was very coy and vague about this past Saturday, we have not gone to 70 hr rule and I was at 59 hours after punch out Friday. Saturday I simply called and asked if I was being forced in, they said no have a good weekend.
I’m pretty sure about 20 of my low seniority brothers went in because they made it seem like we were getting forced, without actually saying it.
Moral of the story; know the contract, get a straight answer
Probably taking advantage of cheaper labor

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Shut up and take the double time, you won’t see it after January. All fines will be in they’re lap and as we were told , they are using drivers that have been retired and some that work in the building.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Personally after I retire , I wouldn’t want to come back and drive, they already burned me out over 33 years. I have stories that mean nothing to management since all the managers I’ve helped move up are gone.

542thruNthru

I asked my BA on Friday if we had to be technically on a 70/8 to make the double time. He told me No. If they are working me over 60 and as long as I'm a RPCD or a 22.4, that all those hours over 60 count towards my HOS and they should be paid double time.

Now will UPS fight it... maybe, but I was also told the negotiations were recorded this time and they have interpretation. ;)

I asked my BA on Friday if we had to be technically on a 70/8 to make the double time. He told me No. If they are working me over 60 and as long as I'm a RPCD or a 22.4, that all those hours over 60 count towards my HOS and they should be paid double time.

Now will UPS fight it... maybe, but I was also told the negotiations were recorded this time and they have interpretation. ;)
That's the way I understood it also