Worst Package Car You've Driven?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Loved the old 800 with the shift practically out the passenger door and the drivers seat almost outside the car and the e brake on your knee

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
There was a spare car in our center back in the mid 70's. It was a ford 400 if memory serves. No power anything. It had a wooden bulkhead door with a padlock welded onto the frame. Wooden shelves as well, and there was a spare tire loose in the back. There was a hole cut out of the shelf so the top of the spare could stick up through it. It wasn't secured, though, and several times a day you would have to pick the tire and roll it back up to the front and stand it up again. The pedals came out of the floorboard. I kept writing up for the A/C, but they never fixed it. lol.

Future

Victory Ride
Not sure if it has been mentioned....there was a minority of trucks that had a (really don't know what to call it) cylinder lock on the bulk head door...real pain in the arse...but the kicker was if the door closed while u where in the back you couldn't open in for the cargo area .... You had to escape through the rear door.....I wrote everyone of those up as a safety hazard

oldngray

nowhere special
We still had a couple of those 400's around when I started. The only use when its a really bad emergency spares. Every one had all kinds of jury rig repairs or replacements and every one was different. Different transmissions with reverse being anywhere and dashboard switches at random locations. I think they were all Fords and Internationals.

And remember to duck when you walk into one or you will scalp yourself.

Whats 9.5?

I used to do that on purpose by shutting the ignition off for a couple of seconds and letting it coast in gear. When you turn the key on again -----KABOOM!!! Once I let it build up a little too long andit blew the muffler apart at the seam. Our mechanic didn't think it was as funny as I did.
LOL, that's priceless

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
I used to do that on purpose by shutting the ignition off for a couple of seconds and letting it coast in gear. When you turn the key on again -----KABOOM!!! Once I let it build up a little too long andit blew the muffler apart at the seam. Our mechanic didn't think it was as funny as I did.
Glad I wasn't around for that nonsense

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Probably my new 5 cube. A random piece comes loose everyday, seriously.
Sounds like my old workhorse 700.

My worst was 1986 p800 iron maiden. Fighting with steering wheel destroyed my shoulders daily. Water poured in everywhere, couldn't see :censored2: at night in the cargo area and the switch turned on both the cargo and cab lights and auto shut off after like 2 minutes. Diamond plating was so worn on the floor that it was like ice skating when it rained.

LateAir21

One day my supervisor came and told me I had a extra light day the reason being because the truck I was gonna drive had no brakes at all just the hand brake and that's what I needed to use to stop. That hand brake might as well of not of been there. It was my 1st yr working there and would do anything I was told so I drove it that day. When I would see a stale green light I would just rip that brake up and hope for the best, alot of times I would just honk my horn while passing through a red light bc it was impossible to stop. That was the worst day and to think that I was dumb enough to agree to that I can't believe myself. I ran a handfull of red lights that day amd drove into grass medians and sometimes when I would come up to a red light with cars already stopped there and couldn't slow down I would throw it into reverse to hope for it to stop but all it did was kill the engine..I called my supervisor and told him this was dumb and he replied with "your crazy light just go slow and dont :censored2: this up. UPS management!!

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Last peak on my rural route I had to meet another driver and trade my plush rental for his 500,000 mile dinosaur. It had a virtually useless first gear, enough noise and vibration to crack my skull like an egg, and was worse at climbing hills than a paraplegic cow. The thing sounded like Godzilla when I'd pull from a stop.

Another driver called me about something (don't know how I even heard it ring) but I had to pull over and shut it off because I couldn't hear a damn thing. And I don't think it was much better on his end because he said he thought I wrecked or something. No, it was just that loud and noisy. It got even better when eventually the truck wouldn't shut off and I had to purposefully stall it at every stop.

Thank God the thing was just a peak extra. I hope they crushed it. I gotta commend anyone who delivered regularly in these pieces of sh*. Maybe it wasn't as bad in the day when you had 3/5 the stops and no telematics but that would literally have been the worst part of the job.

oldngray

nowhere special
Last peak on my rural route I had to meet another driver and trade my plush rental for his 500,000 mile dinosaur. It had a virtually useless first gear, enough noise and vibration to crack my skull like an egg, and was worse at climbing hills than a paraplegic cow. The thing sounded like Godzilla when I'd pull from a stop.

Another driver called me about something (don't know how I even heard it ring) but I had to pull over and shut it off because I couldn't hear a damn thing. And I don't think it was much better on his end because he said he thought I wrecked or something. No, it was just that loud and noisy. It got even better when eventually the truck wouldn't shut off and I had to purposefully stall it at every stop.

Thank God the thing was just a peak extra. I hope they crushed it. I gotta commend anyone who delivered regularly in these pieces of sh*. Maybe it wasn't as bad in the day when you had 3/5 the stops and no telematics but that would literally have been the worst part of the job.

That is how loud those old trucks were. Most old drivers probably have hearing damage from those things.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
That is how loud those old trucks were. Most old drivers probably have hearing damage from those things.
No doubt in my mind. Even in the brand new ones I need to wear ear plugs if I'm going to be on the highway for any extended amount of time.

JL 0513

My worst was 1986 p800 iron maiden. Fighting with steering wheel destroyed my shoulders daily. Water poured in everywhere, couldn't see :censored2: at night in the cargo area and the switch turned on both the cargo and cab lights and auto shut off after like 2 minutes. Diamond plating was so worn on the floor that it was like ice skating when it rained.

We still have these in service. Pretty ludicrous in 2016. They were sad engineering in 1986 actually. Not sure why they couldn't build power steering into trucks in 1986.

El Correcto

god is dead
Haven't had the displeasure of driving too many different ones. The new work horses are nice, not upset when I get one at least. The worse pc I've been in would have to be an "international diesel" is what my sup called it, I called it a death trap. Sounded like the axels were about to snap in half on those country roads. Ended up blowing a cylinder and could only maintain 40-50 on the highway trip back. Got flipped off that day.

Edd Orion

Have to say the new 2015/16 Freightliner PC's are almost a joy to drive. Finally becoming somewhat respectable machines compared with the old. Makes the job twice as easy. The gas ones are really quick too. They can merge to 65 MPH with ease.
Except they are way smaller than the old trucks, so they get bricked out at 300 pkgs

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Try driving a 500 on a wet clay road. The ass end comes around like a boxer trying to wag his tail, and you can read your own damn tag number.

MC0493

Car i've had the last two days certainly falls under paraplegic cow territory lol. After pickups i was going up a hill at 24mph in a 45 flat out. Felt like i was gonna die every time i pulled out into traffic. Gummy stiff doors and slow as hell. I'd rather have the old 1997 manual with 300k miles i had earlier in the week.