Worst Package Car You've Driven?

Gear

Parts on Order

This is probably a turbo that blew and the engine is running off its own oil. Turbo blows, oil goes into the engine, engine runs off oil, no idle control, high idle. Putting something over the intake would shut it down. Examples phone book or a piece of wood, something strong. Or you could just let it blow, probably needed a new engine anyways.

Disconnecting the batteries like the guy suggested would do nothing. The engine is running off its own oil, so its completely mechanical.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
i hear that... but its much different when ur used to one thing and go way backwards, than being used to the :censored2:ty thing so it doesnt feel so :censored2:ty, and going forward..
Agreed. And my comment was NOT directed at you, I apologize if it came across that way. I just spent 3 weeks driving an old stick shift while my regular car was in the shop, and it sucked. Having a newer automatic has definately spoiled me!

soberups

This is probably a turbo that blew and the engine is running off its own oil. Turbo blows, oil goes into the engine, engine runs off oil, no idle control, high idle. Putting something over the intake would shut it down. Examples phone book or a piece of wood, something strong. Or you could just let it blow, probably needed a new engine anyways.

Disconnecting the batteries like the guy suggested would do nothing. The engine is running off its own oil, so its completely mechanical.
If its a stick shift just put it in 5th and dump the clutch.

Gear

Parts on Order
If its a stick shift just put it in 5th and dump the clutch.

The engine is running free with no governor or limits, well into the red line. It could move putting it in gear, remember the RPMs are extremely high. All it would take is a driver or whoever is in the seat, getting spooked when he drops the clutch and let up on the brake pedal as a result. You know the parking brake isnt stopping nothing. The engine wouldnt bog down like when you accidently shift into a higher gear. A fuel pedal engine is controlled, a run away engine is not.

soberups

The engine is running free with no governor or limits, well into the red line. It could move putting it in gear, remember the RPMs are extremely high. All it would take is a driver or whoever is in the seat, getting spooked when he drops the clutch and let up on the brake pedal as a result. You know the parking brake isnt stopping nothing. The engine wouldnt bog down like when you accidently shift into a higher gear. A fuel pedal engine is controlled, a run away engine is not.
What if the driver had his foot on the brake pedal?

Gear

Parts on Order
What if the driver had his foot on the brake pedal?

He better hold it down. Im not sure what the truck would do at high rpms, never seen it happen. If the pedal is let go, it only takes a second to cause other property damage.

-Engine runs away and blows up-No one's fault. Mechanic gets a breakdown, which means nothing.
-Engine runs away, driver tries to stop it, resulting in other property damage or injury-You're getting the blame and the crap that goes with it.

PT Car Washer

He better hold it down. Im not sure what the truck would do at high rpms, never seen it happen. If the pedal is let go, it only takes a second to cause other property damage.

-Engine runs away and blows up-No one's fault. Mechanic gets a breakdown, which means nothing.
-Engine runs away, driver tries to stop it, resulting in other property damage or injury-You're getting the blame and the crap that goes with it.
Especially if there is an injury no matter how serious. Everyone would have to lawyer up.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Yeah, but how much fun would it be, with a clear street, to dump the clutch in 1st or 2nd and see what happens?

soberups

I asked a mechanic friend of mine, he said if it were revving like that and the clutch got dumped in 5th gear it would probably break the U-joints on the driveline and keep on revving.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Need to make a run to the airport for some airs, the only thing around was a Peak spare ( back when they kept a half dozen PCs all year in the back of the shop ) .
It was weird on the highway above 40mph , the front end lifted completely up .
I scared a couple of passing drivers by moving my front wheels while the tires were in the air .

Foamer Pyle

Car 106051... No power steering, manual transmission that you had to know the secret pattern to get it into gear and the shifter would also pop out on occasion, the rear door required a team lift to get it open, the back up camera didnt work, and to turn the wiper blades on you had to get out of the seat and reach up and turn each individual wiper blade on.

But at least it had a pvc pipe fitting for a cup holder
A back up camera? Clearly, you have not been around long enough to remember no back up cameras, or cell phones, and working off of paper. The real :censored2: boxes were back then, with wooden bulk head doors, a choke, and 5 speed, no power steering.

rod

Retired 22 years
A back up camera? Clearly, you have not been around long enough to remember no back up cameras, or cell phones, and working off of paper. The real :censored2: boxes were back then, with wooden bulk head doors, a choke, and 5 speed, no power steering.

I enjoyed the old Micro-brakes they used to have on them. You locked those down and the truck wasn't going any where.

Rack em

Made the Podium
The thread is about the worst package car I have ever driven. So I answered the question by describing the worst package car I have ever driven. I'm sorry I wasn't employed sooner when they didn't have back up cameras

wornoutupser

Of the many really crappy cars that I have driven through the years I would have to say it was a Ford P 500 that was the worst.
I had just come back from a major injury and had and out of town supervisor riding with me for the day.

I told him this car had severe mechanical issues. It was famous for having mixed tires and it would just throw you off the road.
It happened soon enough and he yelled at me when it put me about 10 feet off the road. I told him " Fine-you drive."

It wasn't 20 minutes later that he almost went through a fence when it did it again.We wrote up the car as unsafe to drive.

It was on red tag and a Saturday driver was instructed to drive it and didnt know better than to refuse to.

It through her across the median about 8 miles from the building and flipped. I guess it was just a coincidence that the DVIR disappeared and was never found. That was years ago and she still cant lift over 10 lbs.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Not the worst car I have driven but one of the nastiest.

IMG_20160408_181600040.jpg

IMG_20160408_121601886_HDR.jpg

This is a rural route truck that I had to drive recently. The sunflower seeds....maybe I can understand...maybe. But the three pissbottles in the back? On a rural route?

Maybe the driver is way smarter than me and storing up seed husks and pissbottles in the event of a zombie apocalypse or some kind of Bear Grylis emergency survival type thing.

andrsnbkj

I've driven one with a wooden door and lost complete brake pedal in the dam car too they told me to keep delivering I laughed on that one said no come bring me another car

soberups

Not the worst car I have driven but one of the nastiest.

View attachment 77500

View attachment 77501

This is a rural route truck that I had to drive recently. The sunflower seeds....maybe I can understand...maybe. But the three pissbottles in the back? On a rural route?

Maybe the driver is way smarter than me and storing up seed husks and pissbottles in the event of a zombie apocalypse or some kind of Bear Grylis emergency survival type thing.
The seeds I could live with, especially on a dirt road route like mine where the interior gets absolutely filthy anyway. The piss bottles? No way. If I ever found a piss bottle in my truck I would give a polite first warning to whoever left it...we all make mistakes...but the second time I would inform management and/or call the person out in front of everyone at the PCM. I have had to do the former once or twice, but never the latter. Left-behind piss bottles are gross and show a total lack of respect for one's co-workers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The seeds I could live with, especially on a dirt road route like mine where the interior gets absolutely filthy anyway. The piss bottles? No way. If I ever found a piss bottle in my truck I would give a polite first warning to whoever left it...we all make mistakes...but the second time I would inform management and/or call the person out in front of everyone at the PCM. I have had to do the former once or twice, but never the latter. Left-behind piss bottles are gross and show a total lack of respect for one's co-workers.

The seeds would be a no-go with me.