XL Oil Pipeline

804brown

There is no dirty impact ! We simply dig it up and then re-forest !
Google the before and after pics of areas digged up. It's again Mother Nature at it's best, better then before actually.

Reclamation of industrial sites in Alberta's oil sands - YouTube

Just because it is canadian oil does not make it better. The extraction from the tar sands will do damage to the environment itself , again when it is refined, and then once again when it has to be transported to china, etc and then used in dirty factories. Dont be blinded by your canadian nationalism. Dont become like the american nationalists that need to genuflect at very thought of america!!

klein

Für Meno :)
Just because it is canadian oil does not make it better. The extraction from the tar sands will do damage to the environment itself , again when it is refined, and then once again when it has to be transported to china, etc and then used in dirty factories. Dont be blinded by your canadian nationalism. Dont become like the american nationalists that need to genuflect at very thought of america!!

Sorry, but we need money and money talks !
Atleast we can't have an oil spill - it's already laying on the ground !

klein

You ever seen Texas beef on the hoof??

Hey , Alberta is just like Texas, that's why Calgary & Houston are sister cities.
Alberta is well known for Alberta Beef and ofcourse oil.

Go to a fancy highclass restaurant or Hotel in the US, and you'll find Alberta Beef on the menu !

California chain endoses Alberta beef

CALGARY—Stonefire Grill, a small privately owned fast-casual restaurant chain with seven units in southern California, has started offering Canadian beef on its menu.

While Canadian beef has been exported to the United States for decades, Stonefire Grill is the first American to publicly use the Canadian beef logo in their marketing materials.

The United States is the largest export market for Canadian beef, accounting for 70 per cent of production. Next is Mexico, with 12-15 per cent of that country’s beef originating in Canada. (making my first -above mentioned- statement actually falsh, because you eat more Alberta beef, on a regular basis, then you even know about) !

From wiki:
Agriculture has a significant position in the province's economy. The province has over three million head of cattle, and Alberta beef has a healthy worldwide market. Nearly one half of all Canadian beef is produced in Alberta. Alberta is one of the prime producers of plains buffalo (bison) for the consumer market.

Actually, just a few years ago, Alberta rightfully claimed it had more cattle than human population !

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oh, it's "A." beef alright, but it's Argentinian......all over Vegas !!

Unless it's for Obama, then it's at the very least, Kobe....and there's another that's even more expensive.

moreluck

golden ticket member
One of America's best Steakhouse, Mortons doesn't use Alberta beef........USDA, baby !!!

USDA Prime-Aged Beef: The Top 2% of Beef Available in the U.S....and at Morton's!

Steak: What Morton's Does Best!

Since day one, Morton's has used the same suppliers for our aged prime beef and other meat. They select the best of their inventory for us–and if it doesn't meet Morton's standards, it doesn't get cut for our steaks.

When we say that we offer "The Best Steak...Anywhere," we mean it!

What does "Prime" mean?
"Prime" is the highest quality grade designation from the U.S. Department of Agriculture in terms of tenderness, juiciness and flavor. This quality grade is determined by maturity and marbling scores, with abundant marbling being required. Less than 2 percent of the nation's beef supply earns the designation of "Prime" beef. Our Prime Beef at Morton's is aged for 23-28 days and then portion cut by our highly experienced Chicago meat cutters. Our meat arrives fresh to our locations ready to partake in the ultimate dining experience!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Stonefire, never heard of them, so I looked them up. According to the pictures of all the locations, they look like they are in our strip malls.....the nearest is Irvine which is more than a half hour on the freeway north of me.

If you want to see big steak places....you look at places like Flemings, Ruth's Chris, Morton's and places of that caliber.

klein

From a food critic:

So how was it? (USDA steak at Ruth Chris'), I have to say, it’s a decent cut of meat. Im not a huge fan of corn fed beef, as it’s fast finishing techiques leave the beef heavy, and greasy. I prefer the cleaner, more dynamic taste of grass fed beef (Alberta Beef), but that’s a personal preference. The big issue is they have a tendency at Ruth’s Chris to finish everything in a mountain of butter. In the case of the steak, it severely detracts from the flavour of the beef, and leaves each bite a chore. Make sure you order no butter if you order steak there at all.

The million dollar question is, is it better than Alberta beef? Well, sure to draw the ire of many people, i have to say, it depends. USDA Prime is a good grade of beef, no question, and when compared to single or double A, there’s clearly no contest. I’ve had Alberta AAA that is better than USDA prime, and i’ve had USDA prime that is better than Canadian Prime. The thing is, when you compare steaks, there are a lot of things to take into account. What it ate. What it was finished on. How it was treated. Handled. How it was aged. How it was cooked.All of these things add up to the piece of meat you put in your mouth, and only a fraction of it has to do with the beef itself. It isnt better strictly on country alone.

The key question for me is whether or not the steak is worth it, and I can almost unequivocally say no. The prices are extremely high. The meat, while premium, is at once a bit greasy, as well wet aged, not helping the beef develop far more interesting complexity through dry aging. At these prices, I can get a lot better beef elsewhere.

And I agree with that statement, because it does seem, even at the supermarket, every cut of beef is different and from a different cow next week.
It really depends. But, I sure wouldn't like Yellow fat - gross !

So, now you know Moreluck, if you happen to have a steak with white fat, it's grass fed Alberta Beef !
Unlike the American counterpart that is corn fed.

moreluck

golden ticket member
| Friday, January 27, 2012 @ 10:56 am |
Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Piggy Snout) Calls Republicans “Terrorists”…
New tone.
(NBC News) — A senior Democratic congressman likened Republican lawmakers to terrorists on Thursday for their insistence on tying approval of construction of a new oil pipeline to must-pass legislation.

California Rep. Henry Waxman, the top Democrat on the House Energy and Commerce Committee and the coauthor of the 2009 cap-and-trade climate change bill, decried efforts by the GOP to force the Obama administration into approving a permit for the Keystone XL Pipeline.

“They want to use legislation as a way to act like terrorists. They hold things as hostage,” Waxman said. “We almost couldn’t fund the government because Republicans wanted to hold that idea hostage, we almost couldn’t pay our debts because the Republicans wanted to hold that legislation hostage to their extreme agenda, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they scuttled this conference by trying to hold us hostage.”
advertisement
Waxman was referring specifically to rumblings from Republicans that they might attach the provision to legislation extending a payroll tax cut through the end of 2012. Waxman is one of the 20 bipartisan negotiators who are working to reach an agreement on that extension by Feb. 29, when the current extension is set to expire.

804brown

| Friday, January 27, 2012 @ 10:56 am |
Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Piggy Snout) Calls Republicans “Terrorists”…

New tone.
(NBC News) — A senior Democratic congressman likened Republican lawmakers to terrorists on Thursday for their insistence on tying approval of construction of a new oil pipeline to must-pass legislation.

California Rep. Henry Waxman, the top Democrat on the House Energy and Commerce Committee and the coauthor of the 2009 cap-and-trade climate change bill, decried efforts by the GOP to force the Obama administration into approving a permit for the Keystone XL Pipeline.

“They want to use legislation as a way to act like terrorists. They hold things as hostage,” Waxman said. “We almost couldn’t fund the government because Republicans wanted to hold that idea hostage, we almost couldn’t pay our debts because the Republicans wanted to hold that legislation hostage to their extreme agenda, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they scuttled this conference by trying to hold us hostage.”
advertisement
Waxman was referring specifically to rumblings from Republicans that they might attach the provision to legislation extending a payroll tax cut through the end of 2012. Waxman is one of the 20 bipartisan negotiators who are working to reach an agreement on that extension by Feb. 29, when the current extension is set to expire.

Though the rhetoric is over the top, he is right about what the repubs are doing.

tourists24

Dont be fooled. This pipeline will be an export pipeline to houston where the oil will go to china. On the jobs, even the company itself says that "only a few hundred permanent jobs" are created by keystone. It just continues our unsustainable addiction to oil. And I havent even hit on the environmental impact this dirty tar sands oil will have.
Regardless, until we do things for ourselves, we will be at the mercy of those countries who will go out and get the oil while we sit back and do little

804brown

Regardless, until we do things for ourselves, we will be at the mercy of those countries who will go out and get the oil while we sit back and do little

So you are admitting that building that pipeline will do nothing to diminish their monopoly of most of the oil. As long as OIL is the product they will hold the cards which is why ALTERNATIVE fuels are the only way out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So you are admitting that building that pipeline will do nothing to diminish their monopoly of most of the oil. As long as OIL is the product they will hold the cards which is why ALTERNATIVE fuels are the only way out.

It's a continuation of the stranglehold that oil has on the US but it is also tens of thousands of jobs for several years and hundreds for the life of the pipeline.