XL Oil Pipeline

bbsam

Staff member
Tangental to this subject, I heard the other day that fracking has brought so much Natural Gas that they have shut down production due to insufficient demand. Anyone know of conversion programs from any other fossil fuel to Natural Gas?

wkmac

Tangental to this subject, I heard the other day that fracking has brought so much Natural Gas that they have shut down production due to insufficient demand. Anyone know of conversion programs from any other fossil fuel to Natural Gas?

No but that's a damn good question. I do know we are net exporting gasoline and I know in Georgia we've had a very mild winter to the point I've ran the air conditioning almost as much as I've run the heat.

tourists24

So you are admitting that building that pipeline will do nothing to diminish their monopoly of most of the oil. As long as OIL is the product they will hold the cards which is why ALTERNATIVE fuels are the only way out.
Nothing wrong with finding those alternative routes at all. Problem is until we find ones that work AND is implemented we are stuck with that oil demand. And refusing to be independent for ourselves is making us at the whim of the nations (and companies) that will continue to use it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The emphasis placed on the development of alternative fuels will always be in ratio to the price of fossil fuels. $4/gallon gas, while unpleasant, is not the threshold---$10/gallon most certainly would be.

The emphasis placed on the development of alternative fuels will always be in ratio to the price of fossil fuels. $4/gallon gas, while unpleasant, is not the threshold---$10/gallon most certainly would be.
Dave, once you retire that gap between unpleasant and threshold will narrow significantly.

804brown

Exactly. Until you make the dirty fuels too expensive, alternative fuels will not be a worthy investment. And then when the govt even tries to stimulate some investment in solar and wind etc , it gets shot down by big oilgascoal and their puppets in congress!!

bbsam

Staff member
So the republicans want to get the pipeline done before the president gets the environmental impact statement back in the middle of an election season and they claim only the president is playing politics? Really.

moreluck

golden ticket member
So the republicans want to get the pipeline done before the president gets the environmental impact statement back in the middle of an election season and they claim only the president is playing politics? Really.
There has already been several impact studies done........can you say redundant?

bbsam

Staff member
I've already said the president is playing politics (in an election year [gasp!]) but the republicans did the same in forcing his ruling in the first place and are doing the same with this legislation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not to sound redundant, but the pipeline will be a done deal just in time for the election. This combined with a rebounding economy will ensure another 4 years for Obama.

bbsam

Staff member
Not to sound redundant, but the pipeline will be a done deal just in time for the election. This combined with a rebounding economy will ensure another 4 years for Obama.
Agreed. And Obama can look at last months jobs report and appear prudent since even without the pipeline the economy grew by over 200,000 jobs.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Agreed. And Obama can look at last months jobs report and appear prudent since even without the pipeline the economy grew by over 200,000 jobs.

And, what if the unemployment number becomes something like 9.2% in a couple months? And when Obama delays making this decision on the pipeline......do you really think Americans don't know they are being played?

klein

Für Meno :)
CP Rail has already offered to transport it to the Gulfcoast. (that was a few days back).

It's comming no matter what.