xxanex...

rezzi

Mr. DR 6
I lost my dot card because I was prescribed xxanex by a UPS doctor to deal with stress. The stress has been classified as on the job by UPS doctors. My H.R. told me that there is no inside building work, yet they are hiring new am and pm shift poeple weekly.
Anybody hear of this in there building?

brownrodster

I lost my dot card because I was prescribed xxanex by a UPS doctor to deal with stress. The stress has been classified as on the job by UPS doctors. My H.R. told me that there is no inside building work, yet they are hiring new am and pm shift poeple weekly.

Get off the xanex and get a new DOT physical!

good luck!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Sorry to hear you're stressed out. Xanex is awesome, one of my favorites. :funny:

Anyway, seriously, you need to talk to your steward, because it seems fishy that they aren't allowing you to work inside. New hires or not, you should definitly be able to find work inside.

trickpony1

File a grievance immediately.
There is national language regarding medically disqualified drivers. I'm not sure what article it is.
Also goggle "DOT Medical Regulations" and find 392.4, paragraph C.
It refers to drugs prescribed by your physician.

I find it curious the "company" doctor prescribed a drug that he knows, or thinks, is a prohibitive drug for drivers but then doesn't recommend or promote your working any other job inside.

I think this may be a growing trend by the company to weed out the "undesirables".

You also may want to consult a labor or ADA attorney. To be denied an opportunity is discrimination in its finest form. You haven't even been allowed to demonstrate that you can do other inside work.

I think they are "messing" with you to prove the points that:
1) stress doesn't exist within our company and;
2) to illustrate to other drivers that if you claim stress, this is how you will be treated.

feeder53

ADKtrails
There are a number of issues with Zanax. It can be adictive, can cause trouble swallowing....read the contraidications in the package.

filthpig

I've taken xanex for sleep issues and I don't want to be around anyone in the UPS system who uses it while working. It's dangerous for the user and all around him no matter what anyone else says.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You could always sue the doctor for perscribing a medicine that he knew ahead of time would cause you to lose your job. There would also be a conflict of interest there, since you stated that the doc is a company doc.

I think your lawyer would have a heyday with this one.

d

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
rezzi,
Why in the world would you take a drug that will disqualify you from work in the first place? I wouldn't ever even consider taking anything that a company doctor prescribes. I would have gone to my personal physician to begin with. A real doctor should be able to prescribe an alternate drug which would have let you keep your DOT Card. Quit taking this immediately and get your card back. Not being able to work will not cure your stress problem.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Xanax is classified as a "schedule" type medication, and all prescriptions of this kind are prohibited by the DOT, and will cause you to lose your card, as you found out the hard way. Most physicians are ignorant of DOT regs, and will unwittingly prescribe prohibited meds. By all means, inform your doctor of what has happened, and ask for a "non-schedule" substitute that is not banned by the DOT. As soon as you're off of the Xanax, your medical review office should clear you for service immediately.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
MR Fed

Most physicians are ignorant of DOT regs,

This is not just a physician, this is a company doctor, one that is actively involved with the company, one that would have access and have knowledge of DOT regulations.

d

Johney

OK let's sort this out. So your prescribed Xanex by a UPS Dr. for stress right? Was it under workers comp? Who paid for the Dr. visit? UPS? If so then should be covered under comp.and you should be paid. Now your saying you go to a differant UPS Dr. for a physical and are not allowed to drive? I'm sorry but something doesn't seem right.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
MR Fed

This is not just a physician, this is a company doctor, one that is actively involved with the company, one that would have access and have knowledge of DOT regulations.

d
That's funny. We have 'company' doctors that don't even know what a pkg drivers job description is. NOT KIDDING!!!!!!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
DannyBoy,

Like I said, most docs are ignorant of DOT regs, even company physicians who should take the time to become informed. Most of the time, big companies go for the cheapest providers they can get, not the best.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Which is precisely why I have my own physician. My only concern with him is he seems to enjoy writing prescriptions and I have to tell him that I don't want the Rx. unless I absolutely need it. Give me 2 Tylenol 500mg and I am all set.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Its the law of unintended consequences. And like it or not the doc has liability.

Kinda like you saying to the cop, I dont know what the speed limit is, there have been no signs since I got on this street. You think that is going to relieve you of the responsibility of knowing what the speed limit is?

The doc does have a conflict of interest in this case, much like a lawyer, and should have refered the driver to another doc. Or at the very least, should not have prescribed something to knock the driver out of his/her job.

My personal doc knows what the DOT rules are, and there are many times he would have prescribed something else, but it would have interfered with the safe opperation of the delivery vehicle.

Normally, I dont like the idea of suing, but the doc has responsibilities when it comes to your income loss during the time off. If it is a longer time than you can afford, see a lawyer.

d

rod

Retired 22 years
Which is precisely why I have my own physician. My only concern with him is he seems to enjoy writing prescriptions and I have to tell him that I don't want the Rx. unless I absolutely need it. Give me 2 Tylenol 500mg and I am all set.

Do you have your own shrink also? From some of your posts it sounds like you need one.:peaceful: