Yet Another 22.4 Question

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
All the other drivers in my center I spoke to who went Reg-Temp to RPCD supposedly maintained their Reg-Temp pay rate. Of course, they all started under a different contract and are RPCD, not 22.4.

Reading Section 41.4 in the Master now, but not making much sense of it. I don't have a copy of the Atlantic supplement at the moment.

"Part-time employees whose rates are higher than those set forth below who bid into a full-time 22.4(b) job covered by this Section shall be paid their current inside wage rate plus the general wage increases."
vs
"Any part-time employee performing package car cover-type work in a Supplement, Rider or Addendum who bids into a 22.4 driver job will be treated the same as if he entered into a regular package car driver job under Article 41, Section 2 (c) for progression credit and red circle purposes"
seem contradictory to me, but I'm dumb as hell

Is reg temp part time? If so the second part applies to you. If not, neither applies.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Article 63 section 2 of the Atlantic Supplement:

3. When reporting for work as a regular temporary package driver, the employee shall be guaranteed eight (8) hours pay, as outlined in Article 52, Section 2. While working as a regular temporary pack- age driver, employees will go through the wage progression out- lined in this Agreement. Regular temporary package drivers who may work one (1) day in a week will be given a full week’s credit towards progression. If the employee subsequently gets a regular full-time opportunity and is still in progression, the employee will slot in at his part-time rate or will continue in progression, which- ever is greater.

542thruNthru

Article 63 section 2 of the Atlantic Supplement:

3. When reporting for work as a regular temporary package driver, the employee shall be guaranteed eight (8) hours pay, as outlined in Article 52, Section 2. While working as a regular temporary pack- age driver, employees will go through the wage progression out- lined in this Agreement. Regular temporary package drivers who may work one (1) day in a week will be given a full week’s credit towards progression. If the employee subsequently gets a regular full-time opportunity and is still in progression, the employee will slot in at his part-time rate or will continue in progression, which- ever is greater.

But will regular FT mean RPCD?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
8. Regular temporary package drivers will be used June lst through the second full week of January with the following guidelines:
a. Time worked is to replace or augment regular employees for the reasons stated above.
b. Time worked June 1st through the second full week of January will not be used in accruing full-time seniority status.
c. All regular temporary package drivers who are qualifed or in the process of being qualifed will be offered work opportunities before any employee is hired off the street for this work. The Company will post the necessary regular temporary driver list by October 30th of each year for the anticipated package driver hires for peak season...

@SLW, you won't be able to continue working as a reg temp anyway until June. You'll be better off taking the 22.4 position, regardless of what rate you'll be making.

ManInBrown

I've been working as a Reg-Temp, but was offered a full-time 22.4 driver job now that the season's over, which I obviously took. My understanding is these positions pay less. However, my understanding is also that Reg-Temps come in at a different, higher rate of pay when becoming full-time. My question is, will my pay remain the same, drop to the starting 22.4 pay (whatever that is), or some different third thing?

Naturally, I'll know how it plays out very soon and will update, just wanted to have some idea first and make sure I'm getting paid correctly from the get-go.

Thanks!
You’ll drop down to starting pay at progression and you’ll never make what the driver next to you makes. Thank the gutless union for that one.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Me too but you know how they like to twist things sometimes.

I just don't see how the company can twist it to make it worse than it actually is. They could try to screw him out of the progression credit, maybe. But his part time wage will be a lot less than starting 22.4, not to mention the cut in hours, so I still maintain that taking the 22.4 position will likely be his best option.

SLW

But his part time wage will be a lot less than starting 22.4, not to mention the cut in hours, so I still maintain that taking the 22.4 position will likely be his best option.
Additionally, I did not want to work preload hours, and I'm guessing it puts me in a better spot re other bids. However, $20.50 isn't a lot for this kind of work, especially in my area where the living wage for a single person is ~$18. I believe USPS guys in my area start higher than this.

Additionally, I did not want to work preload hours, and I'm guessing it puts me in a better spot re other bids. However, $20.50 isn't a lot for this kind of work, especially in my area where the living wage for a single person is ~$18. I believe USPS guys in my area start higher than this.
You aren't going to work preload. You are just going to be an underpaid driver.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
If you don’t like your job then QUIT

Seymour Packages

The benefits and pension alone make this job worth hanging on to. It's a way to get your foot in the door while still being able to support yourself. Show up, do your job, and bid to go full time when you can. Life will get better.

542thruNthru

I just don't see how the company can twist it to make it worse than it actually is. They could try to screw him out of the progression credit, maybe. But his part time wage will be a lot less than starting 22.4, not to mention the cut in hours, so I still maintain that taking the 22.4 position will likely be his best option.

I read it as PT rate being his Reg-Temp rate. Which is 75% of top scale. Being as Reg-Temps are like our cover drivers and are considered PT.