You can't spell Stupid with out UPS

bumped

How many years out does your calender go. I've wriiten up things quite frequently over the past 2 plus years only to be told Will Schedule. I write it up enough to be noticed in the DVIR's, but not enough to piss off the mechanics to give my truck to someone else.

I actually prefer an on road breakdowns. My truck might get fixed then.

We're fortunate to have good mechanics and they recognize what drivers take care of their equipment and it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to see who's rides get fixed first.

WorknLateHuh

So, i wrote up that my truck needs a Bose surround sound system installed. Nothing fancy... just a mp3 adaptor and i suppose can live with just a 300 watt amp.

My question is, should i have wrote it up under Safety or Nonsafety? My SPORH drops significantly if i go the day without music. So technically.... from an on-road's perspective this classifies as "immediate attention safety related" right?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So, i wrote up that my truck needs a Bose surround sound system installed. Nothing fancy... just a mp3 adaptor and i suppose can live with just a 300 watt amp.

My question is, should i have wrote it up under Safety or Nonsafety? My SPORH drops significantly if i go the day without music. So technically.... from an on-road's perspective this classifies as "immediate attention safety related" right?

From an on roads perspective this classifies as "stealing time"

Buck Fifty

Absolutely !

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I try to addresss every line written on dvir. I have figured out that the more I do on dvir repairs the less I have to do on PMI or LOF's. I am one of the few in our district that have a 500 car days per road call or better. You don't do that with out the extra effort, and happy drivers.

Probably helps if you have Drivers that actually write things up instead of the ones who seem to ignore everything. Too many think they are helping the mechanic out by pretending a problem will fix itself, or they just can't bear to have their Package car or Tractor out for a day.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Probably helps if you have Drivers that actually write things up instead of the ones who seem to ignore everything. Too many think they are helping the mechanic out by pretending a problem will fix itself, or they just can't bear to have their Package car or Tractor out for a day.

Agreed. I get in someone else's pkg car and I think to myself, how do you work in this all day?

Overpaid Union Thug

The probeen we have here is bid drivers not writing their trucks up until right before they go on vacation so that they don't have to deal with a temporary truck. That is an incredibley selfish and dangerous thing to do. As an unassigned driver I see this allot.

I will cover a route for a bid driver that has called out or is scheduled off but not on vacation. The truck is a mess because they are waiting for the Friday before their vacation starts to write up the truck. The transmission is shot, the truck has the shakes every time its coming to a stop, tires are bald, rear doors come open on every bump in the road, and the fob is half dead with no replacement in the safe. LAME!

over9five

Staff member
The probeen we have here is bid drivers not writing their trucks up until right before they go on vacation so that they don't have to deal with a temporary truck. That is an incredibley selfish and dangerous thing to do. As an unassigned driver I see this allot.

I will cover a route for a bid driver that has called out or is scheduled off but not on vacation. The truck is a mess because they are waiting for the Friday before their vacation starts to write up the truck. The transmission is shot, the truck has the shakes every time its coming to a stop, tires are bald, rear doors come open on every bump in the road, and the fob is half dead with no replacement in the safe. LAME!

Any of those three are sufficient for you to refuse to drive it. Take a stand!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

The problem I see is that many feeder centers are full of drivers who don't have much urgency to correct problems. Many hubs I go to are loaded with equipment that have issues that aren't taken care of. Tires that are under inflated, hoses with cuts or bubbles, safety pins that are worn out and don't hold, no paperwork in the king boxes. I carry an ashtray full of valve stem caps that I go for at least every other day.

As a result, some of the mechanics I deal with get irritated with me because they see me frequently. I don't care about that because I'm simply doing my job. The real problem is the drivers who skip pre and post trip inspections, or simply ignore any problems. Why is this? If you're in feeders, you know why. Management is ALWAYS harping about on property times, and putting pressure on drivers to get done quicker. And many drivers will do just about anything to avoid conflict, even if that means ignoring safety issues. Another reason safety is a cosmetic issue for management. But that is still no excuse for any driver--whether feeder or package car--to neglect their job.

I've made plenty of extra money following the methods during my pre and post trip inspections, but it still kind of makes me angry when I know the last driver just said, "Screw it, let the next guy do my job." Awhile back, a few of us were driving to a hub in the middle of the night. One of the other drivers from the other hub was also going our way, except he was on his return trip. He flew by all of us, with no running lights. In other words, he was in a big hurry, never did a pre-trip, and, obviously, never checked his mirrors. But hey, we figured he was a manager's wet dream on paper. Until, that is, when he got into a accident.

Integrity

Binge Poster
It still doesn't matter I. He still has to work as directed. It could have been a pt sup. Either way, most buildings that have mechanic shops have a shop manager that relays emails they get from corporate. Since all of our directives come from an email and not from the brains of our own managers, it doesn't matter who said what. There's nothing terribly questionable about this anyways. Safety repairs get done. Other repairs that aren't safety related get scheduled to fix. It really isn't nothing new. The only thing that's changed is the mechanics can't do extra work on the truck that ISN'T on the DVIR. If they happen to see something safety related they fix it. If it's paint chips or a noisy fan, they schedule the work.
sortaisle,

It may not matter to you but it does matter.

You may want to direct your comments at the OP, he started the thread is apparently concerned about the state or the future state of the fleet.

Sincerely,
I

Overpaid Union Thug

I will cover a route for a bid driver that has called out or is scheduled off but not on vacation. The truck is a mess because they are waiting for the Friday before. their vacation starts to write up the truck. The transmission is shot, the truck has the shakes every time its coming to a stop, tires are bald, rear doors come open on every bump in the road, and the fob is half dead with no replacement in the safe. LAME!

Any of those three are sufficient for you to refuse to drive it. Take a stand!

I do. I write them up and smile when I see the bid driver's facial expression when they come back the next day and see their replacement truck. And laugh when they start whining about how their supplies are still in the red tagged truck. And laugh even harder when they go for the DVIR to see who wrote it up as if there is going to be a reckoning. LOL. That's how I take my stand. I love it. :)

FilingBluesFL

Found this the other day. I laughed.
DVIR.jpg

pretender

We're fortunate to have good mechanics and they recognize what drivers take care of their equipment and it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to see who's rides get fixed first.

It also doesn't hurt to buy your mechanic a coffee or a coke once in a while.