100k Club

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
For the past five years, I've taken my optional week as pay, directed in my 401K. I get 7 weeks of vacation, so putting an extra week of pay into the 401K is an easy choice, especially when you're in feeders.

For the past five years, I've taken my optional week as pay, directed in my 401K. I get 7 weeks of vacation, so putting an extra week of pay into the 401K is an easy choice, especially when you're in feeders.

Eh, I would have no problems directing the pay into 401k but the time off is invaluable.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This makes sense as you are investing in your future.

Selling vacation weeks mean you are overextended in the present.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Increase your 401K contribution by 25 a week and take your vacations. Cant bitch about the place and choose to work when you don't have to.

S

serenity now

I notice people are often jealous of what we make. But we know what it takes to make it. We make no plans, we miss stuff, we are beat on weekends, we deliver in all the weather even when there are heat warnings, cold warnings, blizzard warnings, hurricane warnings, tornado warning, etc. And the people making the same or better, do the same. They go to work when they are sick, tired, or sore. They work all the extra time in a cold lonely cubicle, just like we do in our truck. Or on an oil rig, or a trash truck, or in a ditch.
Sometimes they do not realize when the shut off their pc and go home, we are still out there for hours.
Not complaining, just saying, we have people in line for our jobs, they are the ptimers who have slugged it to work, at 3am in the morning, for years, waiting for their chance. While surviving working two jobs, or more, with families. You cannot just, for the most part, walk in off the street. One guy in 7 might get that, its rare, and kudos to them. I could not imagine walking into this company with no knowledge, and trying to learn it all at once, now today!
So to those that say that, I say go apply. Be on call for a year. work part time for sometimes 10 yrs or more. And then go full time driving. Yes what an easy job you have just driving around all day. I hear that so much. And usually from some person who couldnt climb into my truck one time, less 150 or more a day.
We sold the leisure for the money, and if anyone tells me they are jealous, they should be, I made it.

whenever some clown on the route says " i want your job " , i tell them ( it's there for anyone that really wants it )

* part time for the first 10+ years / can't survive on that, so full time job during the day / working 12 or more hours per day / forget about trying to synchronize vacations from your 2 jobs with your spouse's job

* next 10 years swing driving or ups hell / gut always in a knot / here there is no bidding on vacation cover / nothing is guaranteed / different routes every day / work as directed

* then when you're old, you may get your own route for a short while before someone bumps you

* yeah buddy, go apply today and get you some of this

tarbar66

And get to show off them legs, and have all the women swoon over your soaking sweaty body in the summer, LOL.

Tooner,

I think you may have talked to some of the ladies I delivered to. :happy-very:They would comment when I would linger in their air conditioned office on the 90 degree plus days that they liked their UPS men hot and sweaty!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This makes sense as you are investing in your future.

Selling vacation weeks mean you are overextended in the present.

not always. I work one vacation every year. Usually to buy parts for a truck I'm restoring. I could buy these parts without working vacation but the wife is much more understanding if I work vacation.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
whenever some clown on the route says " i want your job " , i tell them ( it's there for anyone that really wants it )

* part time for the first 10+ years / can't survive on that, so full time job during the day / working 12 or more hours per day / forget about trying to synchronize vacations from your 2 jobs with your spouse's job

* next 10 years swing driving or ups hell / gut always in a knot / here there is no bidding on vacation cover / nothing is guaranteed / different routes every day / work as directed

* then when you're old, you may get your own route for a short while before someone bumps you

* yeah buddy, go apply today and get you some of this

or u could be upstate and just drive from from day one. I feel for you guys that work ten plus years before driving. I worked 22 money.